“*Friendly* & *Fun* & *Food*” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe International Hostel

Santa Fe International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Save Saved
You added Santa Fe International Hostel to your Saves list
1416 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Tallahassee, Florida
“*Friendly* & *Fun* & *Food*”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Friendly helpful stuff.... The best coffee waiting for you every morning... Free food from the Whole Foods... Clean linens... Bus station in front of the hostel ($2 day pass)... 30 minutes walking to the center... All of this for $18 !!! .... This place has a lot of character... I WILL BE BACK !!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

When moving to Santa Fe a couple months back, I booked a private room in this hostel for four nights until I found a place to live. After experiencing one night here, I canceled the rest. You'd be much smarter to get a Super 8 or a Motel 6 for slightly more money.

I spent three months backpacking through Europe solely utilizing hostels. Where ever I travel in the US, if there's a hostel, I enjoy it. The worst hostel I've ever been in is better than Santa Fe International Hostel. Here's why.

1. It's not within walking distance of the Plaza, downtown, art districts or fairs. The main attractions that people come to Santa Fe for are not close. Remember, this is the desert, walking for a long distance in the summer is rarely an option, unless you are of lizard origin.
2. It's on Cerrillos St., the busiest, loudest, most congested street in Santa Fe.
3. The rooms are deplorable. Dirty, old, worn out. (guests have to clean ~ I wonder if they double check to make sure the guest before you cleaned at all?)
4. The kitchen and common areas are no better.
5. Their free breakfast is day old food donated from local bakeries. So is the free food they give out in the kitchen. Look at expiration dates before consuming!
6. Guests staying more than one day are expected to choose a duty. You have to clean something within the hostel. By the looks of it, I suspect this is their only mode of cleanliness. Do they hire someone to clean?
7. They only accept cash and couldn't give me change for my larger bill. If you are a cash only business, Have. Change. (I about blew a gasket at this one upon checking in.)
8. You may not check out the rooms before staying. They won't show you around until after you're a paying customer. (this is even stated on their website.)

Here's the Positive:
1. It's affordable. $25 for private; $18 for dorm.
2. Free Food provided.
3. The outdoor area is lovely (worn out & falling apart furniture, yet lovely.)
4. Free parking.

I understand the owner's philosophy: maintain the integrity of a traditional hostel. How's that working out? From a business sense, it seems "change or die" may be unfolding here. There's no change going on. The building, the contents of the building, even the parking lot appear to be the exact same as when this place first opened. I wonder if the owner/s have put any money back into their business? I would guess not.

I suggest checking out airbnb dot com to find a truly great stay. People rent out space or rooms in their houses and there are many near the Plaza & Canyon Rd. Just as affordable and way, way, way nicer. There's a whole review system set up to check for safety.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a week at the end of May/ beginning of June 2013. I found the hostel to be very pleasant and I had a very good time when I was there. I stayed in the men's dorm and it was very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The kitchen is huge and well stocked. It is very easy to visit any part of Santa Fe from where the hostel is located. I did not find the chores to be unreasonable or particularly time consuming. At $18 a night, I thought that the hostel was a great deal. I will certainly spend more time there if get the chance and I would recommend this hostel to friends or family.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We had been traveling the country and staying at hostels in every major city. This one was unlike any I had visited before. The rooms and showers are pretty filthy. The place is falling apart in general. The free food is nice, just be wary of expiration dates. Overall, this hostel was a cheap stay. Not the same atmosphere as others, very cold and off putting. Next time, I would splurge on the Budget Inn down the road.

• Stayed June 2013
Mitzpe Ramon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Price is just ok for what you get, rooms are not really clean as the guest's clean them themselves and no hostel staff goes over them, from what we understand and saw.
It is an old type hostel (and everything there is old and could use a good face lift). It does not go close to the hostel's standard of today... as far as services, staff, cleanliness nor Character. The WiFi cost's extra but didn't really work.... (They were fair enough to give us our money back...)
Your experience depends a lot on the guest's who stay there and not at all on what the hostel brings to the table in our opinion...
And we did not appreciate the fact that we were not allowed to see the rooms before making our decision (and they do not refund your money if you see the room and decide not to stay - which is always a bad sign). We did take the chance and take the room, and were a bit sorry we did not just stay at a KOA, with our tent... Would have been cleaner and cheaper.

Room Tip: We took the private room with the private bathroom. it was ok if you don't need it to be clean...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I stayed for a week in a private room recently. Rather than make assumptions about how the hostel operates I reviewed their web page and asked questions about how things are done around there so I knew what to expect before arriving.
Staff members do their best to make the place welcoming for travelers and most of them are travelers themselves. If you want to start a conversation, pull out a map or ask for directions.
The free organic food donated from the local Whole Foods should be seen as an opportunity to save some money and you could feed an army from their kitchen.
The disheveled appearance of the place reflects the character of the owner, Preston, who is a one of a kind guy who's managed to keep the hostel in business for decades.

Room Tip: Light sleepers should not choose a room on the street side.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I went on a Sunday, which I believe is the day they get their food truck shipment from WHOLE FOODS. TONS of free food (5 coolers full!) At first I thought the chore thing was annoying but then I realized they were a non profit and I didn't mind the chores - I got the bathroom (waited until the last minute to pick a card) and it only took me 5 minutes.

There was a great energy in the kitchen with everyone chatting and being social and we had some of the best hot chocolate fondue ever! It wasn't busy so the owners let us take home as much food as we wanted (loads of yogurt and fine cheeses). They were very nice.

Rooms are a little damp and the place is dated but I enjoyed my stay. Old-school hostel. Cash ONLY!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Santa Fe International Hostel? Share your experiences!