“A Platonic Ideal of a Certain Form of Perfection” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe International Hostel

Santa Fe International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Save Saved
You added Santa Fe International Hostel to your Saves list
1416 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A Platonic Ideal of a Certain Form of Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

The Santa Fe International Hostel is a Platonic ideal of a certain form of perfection. It is, IMHO Hippy Heaven. The room I stayed in was simple and charming. The bathroom was both Spartan (but the Spartans were cool) and down an exterior hallway, but hey, that's okay. The kitchen is a dream; the courtyard a delight; the owners went out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay; and the staff, comprised of volunteers, are (as a rule) are intrepid, experienced travelers themselves.

Hostels begin in Europe, offering inexpensive, safe, youth-orientated lodging with the hope that travel broadens individual perspectives and benefits societies. Keep that in mind, and much becomes clear.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011 via mobile

Good things: well equipped kitchen, and helpful staff behind the counter
Bad things: had a bad vibe, one of the showers didnt work in the shared bathroom, the room was run down and saggy bed, and I was itchy every time I was in my room!
Planned on staying four nights but only stayed one.

• Stayed November 2011
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This place gives hostels a bad name. Rude staff, over priced for what you get. Not clean. Need I go on? My family is orgionally from Santa Fe, not there anymore obviously. This place represents the worst of what this area has become. Being a rude hipster is not what Santa Fe is about.

Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Friendly, professional staff from the thorough beginning tour around the hostel to the easy quick final check out. I stayed here with my 7 year old son and everyone made us feel so very welcome, some friends were made. My son even recorded his first music track in the recording studio on site. The food was great, lots of healthy organic choices. Town was a short bus ride away, with the bus stop right outside the hostel. Chores were quick and simple, putting the trash out, sweeping the hallways, etc.

I would always stay here when in Santa Fe, I highly recommend it to people that want more of an experience than just staying in a plain, chain hotel.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 3 types of rooms, I preferred rooms in the 'separate upstairs building', pe...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Berthoud, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is by far the worst hostel I have ever visited or stayed at. From the moment I arrived, the staff seemed confused and apathetic. There were dirt and dead insects on many of the beds and floor. I asked for a vacuum and was given one shot out dust and smoke; when I asked for a different vacuum, no one ever got back to me. My windows would not close completely and did not lock. There was mildew on the shower curtain. The daily chore system there is clearly not working to keep this place clean, and it doesn't seem the staff steps up if residents don't do/complete the chores. I had hoped to leave the room in better condition than I found it but couldn't get any help from the staff to do so.

The only positive things I can say are that I didn't see any bedbugs, and they gave us our deposits back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
carracar, chairman of board at Santa Fe International Hostel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
This problem sadly,seems to happen every summer when the town fills with big art events...Perhaps following reviews, posted by happy campers, that know what to expect of hostels and seem well satisfied with our efforts...Some pilgrims, at these times,arrive at our reception seeking chain lodging levels of service & that,at a price point ,half to one third of Santa Fe summer rates...Some few, when it is explained at reception,they will make their own bed & breakfast,clean their rooms or perform a self chosen duty to help keep the place up... Opt to accept the subsidy that the hostels not- for-profit status allows...However,comes time to stand and deliver...opt then. to welsh...As there were 50 or so other travellers that night & who apparently enjoyed their stay...Those happy campers certainly did not by twos join this forum to single out this charitable effort for abuse...PE,Board Chairman,SFIH
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

I have stayed in several hostels in the U.S. and Europe, and the Santa Fe International Hostel is hands-down the grossest, most disappointing and unsanitary "hostel" I have EVER stayed in. Do NOT spend your money here unless you enjoy the following: sleeping on foam/particle board bunk beds less than two feet from the ceiling, stained and ripped-up carpeting and furniture, room windows that neither close nor lock, mystery pills left strewn on the room floor by previous guests, mildewed shower curtains (didn't realize anything could mildew in Santa Fe), rancid meat three weeks past the expiration date festering in a community fridge that was several degrees warmer than food safety standards, mandatory chores with inadequate or filthy supplies. I plan on filing a complaint with the BBB and the health department. HORRIBLE.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
carracar, Chairman of board at Santa Fe International Hostel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
When encountered in our users kitchen taking photos of the digital thermometer... Staff realised these women were on a "mission"...The reach in is set at 38 degrees and read 40 on a 95 degree day...WELL within public health standards...Ours is a users kitchen. Food is not prepared by the hostel for guest consumption...AS the town was full, with a major arts event.., these unhappy guests were seemingly unable to find accommodation or at a price point they wished to pay...The hostel operates as a educational not- for- profit. All staff are non salaried volunteers...We offer a best efforts,"intended community" based on educational travel. The pittance we ask of guests, does not cover actual expenses.Lodgers tax or gross receipts taxes are not charged as well... Guests are expected to join in simple cleaning tasks to help staff keep the place up...These individuals,having accepted the subsidy the hostels rates reflect & at check in,being made aware of THEIR responsibilities.. apparently decided to" kvetch" their way off the property...The staff here,then was & IS now...not buying...They should have slept in their car...PE
Cairo, Egypt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Let's start with the positives:
1) We were told that there are no homeless shelters in Santa Fe and since Whole Foods has a strict policy on how long they can keep produce, canned goods, etc. - anything that was about to expire was delivered here on a weekly (sometimes more) basis. The result - AMAZING food available at all times.
2) We never had a problem with parking

That's pretty much where the positives stop.

Part of me thinks the employees here are part of a work release program or maybe day-trippers from a rehab facility. Not that there's anything wrong with that, unless you have a bad attitude or don't realize you're working in a service industry.

Upon checking in, we asked "We would really like to have a good meal, it doesn't have to be expensive, what is your favorite restaurant in Santa Fe?" The response from the employee: "I try not to spend money, so I actually don't know of any restaurants."

Okay, so some people are on more of a budget than others...

But I can say that:
- the staff was obsessed with collecting their $2 a day for wi-fi access to the point of berating guests who didn't hand over their quarters fast enough.
- I was chewed out complete with swear words for taking the "barrier" pillow cases off of my pillows upon cleaning my own room during check-out. Too bad the instructions scrawled on the back of the room door weren't clear enough.
- randoms from Santa Fe hung out here offering a super creepy vibe.

The entire place was just wrong.

Wrong, but CHEAP! I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pay for a private room
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Santa Fe International Hostel? Share your experiences!