“Tear this place down” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe International Hostel

Santa Fe International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
You added Santa Fe International Hostel to your Saves list
1416 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Cairo, Egypt
“Tear this place down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

Let's start with the positives:
1) We were told that there are no homeless shelters in Santa Fe and since Whole Foods has a strict policy on how long they can keep produce, canned goods, etc. - anything that was about to expire was delivered here on a weekly (sometimes more) basis. The result - AMAZING food available at all times.
2) We never had a problem with parking

That's pretty much where the positives stop.

Part of me thinks the employees here are part of a work release program or maybe day-trippers from a rehab facility. Not that there's anything wrong with that, unless you have a bad attitude or don't realize you're working in a service industry.

Upon checking in, we asked "We would really like to have a good meal, it doesn't have to be expensive, what is your favorite restaurant in Santa Fe?" The response from the employee: "I try not to spend money, so I actually don't know of any restaurants."

Okay, so some people are on more of a budget than others...

But I can say that:
- the staff was obsessed with collecting their $2 a day for wi-fi access to the point of berating guests who didn't hand over their quarters fast enough.
- I was chewed out complete with swear words for taking the "barrier" pillow cases off of my pillows upon cleaning my own room during check-out. Too bad the instructions scrawled on the back of the room door weren't clear enough.
- randoms from Santa Fe hung out here offering a super creepy vibe.

The entire place was just wrong.

Wrong, but CHEAP! I guess you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Pay for a private room
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bogota, Colombia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

When you first arrive at the hostel, you wonder if the owners have any pride in the business they are operating, as the parking lot is a junkyard of restoration projects.

My passport was scrutinised to the nth degree, going to the extreme of looking for my entry stamp to the US, which I felt was unnecessary and didn't make me feel particularly welcome.

I was told about the chore system, which didn't particularly bother me, but it hardly feels as though you scratch the surface because the place is pretty scruffy and unkempt in the first place. I also don't believe that performing chores "engenders community" like they say. On my first day, I opted to clean one of the communal bathrooms, and on the second my dorm bathroom.

It is quite a large place with dorm rooms and private rooms. The dorm I stayed in was large and had 7 beds. The top bunk was definitely the best place to sleep. The mattresses on the bottom were sunken and saggy. There are no lockers to secure your valuables, which is one of the things I always look for in a good hostel.

The kitchen doesn't have an oven, only a microwave and stove-top. There isn't much space to prepare your meals. The plus is that if you wanted, you could eat for free from the donated food that has gone passed its sell-by date.

If you bring your computer, WiFi is $2 per day.

Sadly, this place (which has definite potential) falls on my growing list of dilapidated hostels that fail to keep up with the times. Unfortunately for backpackers, that seems to be rampant in the US.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I first stayed here in 2006 and have been back several times since then. I have never experienced the "attitude" that other reviewers have mentioned though I think it's worth pointing out that this is not a hotel and does not offer hotel amenities. If you are not familiar with hostels and hosteling this might not be for you. If you've stayed in some hostels before and enjoyed it I would definitely recommend. This type of lodging option is not the norm here in the U.S. but more like something you'd find in western Europe. I especially liked having use of a kitchen. There is plenty of food and cooking/seasoning ingredients available at no extra charge which can be worth a lot in an expensive location like Santa Fe. You can supplement with your own groceries (there is a Whole Foods a few blocks away). You do have to clean up after yourself and do chores which didn't really bother me at all but might be a deal breaker for some. Don't be afraid to mingle in the common areas because you will meet interesting people and maybe learn a thing or two!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

This hostel is truly a welcoming place that treats all visitors with dignity and consideration. Yes, we each "chip in" and perform some small daily task in exchange for our stay (taking, tops, 10 minutes)-- but that balances the extremely modest rates for this hostel. The rooms are small but clean, with extra blankets/pillows, good lighting and either a bathroom in the room or close at hand. No long lines, an air of courtesy and friendliness among guests and staff, AND an amazing kitchen where you can help yourself to community food (with a large array of organic foods -- cheeses, yogurt, bread, jellies)--and lots of staples on shelves around the kitchen for those who actually like to cook. While I was there, the owner prepared a huge pot of delicious chili. Not only was it tasty, it brought people together for laughter and conversation, as good food always does. If you're looking for a friendly chat at breakfast, there's always someone in the common eating area to converse with. People here are very, very friendly. As a senior traveler, I do recommend paying slightly more for a private room. Also, ask to avoid a room that fronts on the highway -- if you're a light sleeper, the traffic noises can keep you awake. Without reservation, there's no place in Santa Fe I'd rather stay. Remember: you're less than 10 minutes from wonderful downtown Santa Fe!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Ledoux NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I am an older woman who has stayed at this hostel 5 times. I intend to do so many more. Rooms are clean and simple; some have a half bath. The staff is friendly, helpful and professional. There is abundant free food in the large kitchen including fresh berries, gourmet cheeses, artisan breads. There's a library and a social/living room. Two fine computers are available for a couple bucks. The location is on the main drag, accessible to bus, restaurants etc. No safety worries. People of all ages from many countries are the guests. The cheapest motel in this over-priced tourist town is $15 more; its rooms are about the same and there's no food and the owner is surly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed here for about a week in late May 2010. I stayed in two different private rooms, both were clean and simple. The employees were friendly and polite, very understanding when I checked out and then had to come back due to my travel plans getting screwed up. Lots of free food in the kitchen. Plenty of other hostlers to talk to when I wanted or I could hang out in my room for privacy. When I left, they gave me recommendations/addresses/phone numbers for other hostels along the route I would be travelling. A Santa Fe bus stop is located right outside and makes getting around the city very simple.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010 via mobile

My first overnight at the hostel was great; second time around the staffperson was rude and radiating passive aggressive vibes. The good news is that the kitchen is huge and the fridges stuffed with dumpstered delicacies (goat cheese quesadilla with coconut water for breakfast- thanks to freeganisn). The chore system and crypto-communal atmosphere were pleasant in a dysfunctional family kind of way. Some nice guests and i got a good nights sleep. Overall if you are used to budget travel and saving $20 is worth crashing in the display room of the Goodwill Store, recommended. Just cross your fingers and hope the person behind the desk doesn't handle you like expired food.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Santa Fe International Hostel? Share your experiences!