“Bohemian cool” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe International Hostel

Santa Fe International Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Santa Fe International Hostel
Save Saved
You added Santa Fe International Hostel to your Saves list
1416 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Bohemian cool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

I first stayed here in 2006 and have been back several times since then. I have never experienced the "attitude" that other reviewers have mentioned though I think it's worth pointing out that this is not a hotel and does not offer hotel amenities. If you are not familiar with hostels and hosteling this might not be for you. If you've stayed in some hostels before and enjoyed it I would definitely recommend. This type of lodging option is not the norm here in the U.S. but more like something you'd find in western Europe. I especially liked having use of a kitchen. There is plenty of food and cooking/seasoning ingredients available at no extra charge which can be worth a lot in an expensive location like Santa Fe. You can supplement with your own groceries (there is a Whole Foods a few blocks away). You do have to clean up after yourself and do chores which didn't really bother me at all but might be a deal breaker for some. Don't be afraid to mingle in the common areas because you will meet interesting people and maybe learn a thing or two!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

This hostel is truly a welcoming place that treats all visitors with dignity and consideration. Yes, we each "chip in" and perform some small daily task in exchange for our stay (taking, tops, 10 minutes)-- but that balances the extremely modest rates for this hostel. The rooms are small but clean, with extra blankets/pillows, good lighting and either a bathroom in the room or close at hand. No long lines, an air of courtesy and friendliness among guests and staff, AND an amazing kitchen where you can help yourself to community food (with a large array of organic foods -- cheeses, yogurt, bread, jellies)--and lots of staples on shelves around the kitchen for those who actually like to cook. While I was there, the owner prepared a huge pot of delicious chili. Not only was it tasty, it brought people together for laughter and conversation, as good food always does. If you're looking for a friendly chat at breakfast, there's always someone in the common eating area to converse with. People here are very, very friendly. As a senior traveler, I do recommend paying slightly more for a private room. Also, ask to avoid a room that fronts on the highway -- if you're a light sleeper, the traffic noises can keep you awake. Without reservation, there's no place in Santa Fe I'd rather stay. Remember: you're less than 10 minutes from wonderful downtown Santa Fe!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Ledoux NM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

I am an older woman who has stayed at this hostel 5 times. I intend to do so many more. Rooms are clean and simple; some have a half bath. The staff is friendly, helpful and professional. There is abundant free food in the large kitchen including fresh berries, gourmet cheeses, artisan breads. There's a library and a social/living room. Two fine computers are available for a couple bucks. The location is on the main drag, accessible to bus, restaurants etc. No safety worries. People of all ages from many countries are the guests. The cheapest motel in this over-priced tourist town is $15 more; its rooms are about the same and there's no food and the owner is surly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
London, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed here for about a week in late May 2010. I stayed in two different private rooms, both were clean and simple. The employees were friendly and polite, very understanding when I checked out and then had to come back due to my travel plans getting screwed up. Lots of free food in the kitchen. Plenty of other hostlers to talk to when I wanted or I could hang out in my room for privacy. When I left, they gave me recommendations/addresses/phone numbers for other hostels along the route I would be travelling. A Santa Fe bus stop is located right outside and makes getting around the city very simple.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010 via mobile

My first overnight at the hostel was great; second time around the staffperson was rude and radiating passive aggressive vibes. The good news is that the kitchen is huge and the fridges stuffed with dumpstered delicacies (goat cheese quesadilla with coconut water for breakfast- thanks to freeganisn). The chore system and crypto-communal atmosphere were pleasant in a dysfunctional family kind of way. Some nice guests and i got a good nights sleep. Overall if you are used to budget travel and saving $20 is worth crashing in the display room of the Goodwill Store, recommended. Just cross your fingers and hope the person behind the desk doesn't handle you like expired food.

• Stayed October 2010
Baden-Baden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

First of all the Pros: Check-in lady was very friendly and professional. The kitchen is big and if you like to cook this is a plus.
The cons:
You have to clean up your room and clean up one of the public areas (bathroom, shower etc). The idea of having people clean up their room is good but it should be reflected in the price.
The beds and rooms are very minimalistic with very hard beds (basically you sleep on wood).We sorted this out by getting the upper beds and added them on ours.
There is a 20$ Key Deposit for the Double Rooms and if you need to check out at early hours the only way to get it back is wait until staff is there. (since this place is run cash-only)
The rooms need to be renovated and I would suggest professional cleaning should be a standard as well.
I don't know if the place ever gets properly cleaned or not.

Value for money is very low so I would suggest not to stay here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

I was traveling around for a month. I had been to a *lot* of hostels and various living arrangements. This was, by far and away, the worst.

I arrived in SF, knowing in advance I would stay there. I drove down a road, and in the middle of a bunch of no-tel motels, sat the dingy hostel with car parts strewn across the parking lot. Okay, I thought, outside's a little bad, the owner likely works on cars as a hobby.

The reception room/living space was decent enough looking. I chose a solo room, since it was $7 more, and didn't really come with "chores," just make sure your room is clean. Weird, but fine. They had a policy of not showing the room prior, which weirded me out. Got to the room, looked bare, four bunk beds, fine enough for the night. I left and went out on the town.

They had a free food policy (discarded remnants from previous tenants), nothing looked like anything I would want to consume or contribute to.

Came back, and unfolded the sheets on my bunk of choice. In faded black letters on a white sheet, "St. Joseph's hospital" (or some hospital..) - yes, they were old hospital sheets!

I decided to sleep in my clothes. This was around 1 a.m.

4:30 a.m., I awoke to find no less than three roaches in bed with me! Another roach was on the floor, dead. I didn't sleep anymore, just sat up on the internet. I went to the bathroom at some point - there were 2 dead roaches in the common sink area, others scattered as I approached.

At 7 a.m., I gathered my things out of the room, and checked out without bothering to clean, particularly the dead roach. The woman went to go "check the room" before giving me my $10 deposit back. I prepared for a fight. None was given, she shamefacedly handed me the $10, and I walked out of that place for good.

I recommend everyone avoid the place like the plague. The place had no good hostel atmosphere, roaches everywhere, weird chores, and was by far and away the worst place I stayed at on my trip - this includes a place that had a mosquito infestation inside, and I wound up with > 10 bites in one night.

Do not go here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Santa Fe International Hostel? Share your experiences!