“Fun visit” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Fun visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

My husband and I drive up from nearby albuquerque to celebrate his birthday (and have kid-free time). We had fun at the casino, and even won some money on slots, which was exhilarating. The pool area was totally under construction, so it wasn't as relaxing as we would have liked -- or as aesthetically pleasing as it should be. We got a great rate and paid for most of our stay with our winnings so can't complain! Hotel is clean with very nice art. We only ate at Red Sage, the steak house, and overall we were actually impressed with the food. Excellent organic kale salad. Go, but if you don't care about gambling, maybe try the incredible and beautiful Hyatt Tamaya instead -- which is a step above.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Turkish first
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We had a super quiet room with great space. We did ask for a fan to get it cool enough for our taste. Front desk provided it to us promptly with no issues. This is a fun place to stay! Lots of resort type things to do such as swimming, spa, casino, golfing, dining and shopping. All right here at the location. Santa Fe is a mere 15 miles away with all of its' offerings, too.

Room Tip: Not sure but our room was nice and quiet. We found the staff to be quite helpful at any request we m...
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We spent only one night here while travelling through the area. I would have loved to stay more had time allowed. The price per night was comparable to a Hampton Inn/Hilton Garden Inn types of places but with so much more.

The room was very spacious and clean and had a balcony. For 2 adults and 2 kids, it was a great size.

We enjoyed the pool area - both the indoors one and the outdoors. It wasn't crowded when we were there although I could see that room may be limited when busier. The pools weren't terribly big although they were very nice. There were well kept and very clean.

The casino was terrible. Smoky and dingy. Husband and I took turns trying our luck but we both felt the casino was not a fun place to be. I am not sure if all the casinos in the area are similar. In any event, I would not return to it.

Would highly recommend this hotel if you are in the area.

Livermore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Although listed as being in Santa Fe, the Buffalo Thunder Resort is in between there and Los Alamos. The rooms are good-sized and nicely decorated, as is the entire facility, including an attractive pool area. There is a good range of eateries. I couldn't care less about gambling, and so I can't comment on the quality of the casino downstairs--I ignored it, unless going to the downstairs restaurant that is attached to the casino area. I only have two complaints. First, because it's a resort, there's no free breakfast like many hotels offer (but there is a Starbuck's for a fairly cheap start to the morning). Second, I never got the Wifi to work. They do give a number to call if you're having trouble, but, since I was only there for one night, I didn't bother. Basically, only minor complaints, and Buffalo Thunder is definitely on my list of possible places to stay when in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms with a balcony are usually a premium (I lucked into an upgrade, because they were busy), but I...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in August and no doubt, this was a maintenance period for this hotel. There was a lot of construction going on during the day and the indoor pool was closed. All of which is fine, it has to happen some time but i would have liked to receive notice, even an email, that the pool would be closed. The outdoor pool was too cold for use. However, beside this, this hotel is absolutely beautiful. It is a great summer great summer get away and we will definitely go back. The casino was fun. We found it smokey but the smaller gallery was smoke free at the time. The buffet at the casino was amazing and the hotel gave us buy 1 get 1 at the buffet for joining the members list- over $50 value for our group. This was a good family stay.

Room Tip: rooms are average size for the price. i would check on the status of construction before choosing a...
Surprise, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

A real dichotomy at work here. Online specials got us a very nice room for $77 per night for 5 nights. It's about 15 miles from the Plaza. The TV system is terrible. Even after a few calls it remained bad. I have never seen ghosting on a digital feed until this hotel. Colors were way too intense with no way to adjust. This is probably not an issue if you are just staying a couple days or spending a lot of time in the casino. But I suggest you avoid the casino unless you smoke. Typical Indian casino, a smoke filled basement. There is a no-smoking room, small in comparison to the main room, but no card tables, just slot machines. But since I like blackjack, I decided to put up with the stink and play. To my surprise I found a $1 minimum table, so I sat down and put down a $20 to test the waters. The dealer took my money and just stood there looking at me. It was then I noticed the small screen on the table in front of me. Virtual chips! One of the things I like is handling the cards and chips, it's part of the allure for me. Not here, 2 cards up for players and virtual chips. Then, to top it off, they charge players .25 cents for each hand. Win or lose, your "stack" is debited each hand. That's just crazy. One of the players decided to cash out and the dealer had to call the pit boss over to help him do the math. Very unprofessional, even for an Indian casino.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lenorah, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Everyone we saw or talked to was so nice! All the employees were smiling and friendly. The hotel room was very nice and very clean. We spent the afternoon gambling - loved the casino! It was close to the rooms and the restaurant was excellent. The BBQ ribs were sooooo good!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!