“Fun Fun at the Thunder” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Lake Texoma
“Fun Fun at the Thunder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We traveled with 3 families to Colorado and had heard about this place...
Really liked the layout and balance. We enjoyed getting to hang out at the pool..and that there was a bar outside. Made it seem like we were in Mx. If you wanted a breeze just sit under a tree or cabana umbrella. We had super clean room and it was in southwest style. Some of the adults went to the casino and the rest of us walked off our supper. Would love to go back on next trip out west.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Lakeville, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We stayed in a casita at the Hilton, which was large and comfortable with two bedrooms, a living area and kitchen. Extremely peaceful! The grounds are breathtaking. There was a golf course with a trail that I walked each morning and saw the most amazing things! Very nicely kept and clean. The staff was excellent -- attentive and accommodating. My only suggestion is that they add a happy hour on Friday nights from 4-6 just like they have on Sunday - Thursday. The pool was small but my teenagers still enjoyed it immensely. So nice to be there and not have to be part of a casino atmosphere. The breakfast was well done and plentiful. They even gave us to go containers so my family could eat in the casita. Very nice experience!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Arvada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

This is a really great, relaxing place to stay. Staff is super helpful! Rooms are wonderful, and extremely comfortable. There's enough restaurants to choose from on site that after a long drive, you don't have to venture out anywhere else if you don't want to. Definitely try it!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Little late but I had to tell my story. My family and I planned this trip back on Spring Break 2014. We looked every where for the best deal and with confusion we first booked at there other hotel right next door Homewood Suites, think the room would get had a fireplace and big tube, we'll the mix up was the other hotel we wanted Buffalo Thunder. So I talk to manager at HS and told them the website had the room backwards and what could be done. No help. She was so rude. So I went over next door to BUFFALO THUNDER and talk to there manager and she was the best!!! She listen to me as I told her the mix up and how I just wanted the room with fireplace I saw online, that this trip was for my daughters and she took so good care of me. Got me out the other hotel and into hers. She hooked me up with such a BEAUTIFUL room, I know that I would of never been able to get. When I took my kids over we all just cried with joy. I could never Thank them enough. That hotel manager went above and beyond to make that trip the best. I can't remember her name and I can't find her card but her first or last name started with a "Y" or "Z". Thank you so much.

Room Tip: To be treated nice you must be nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

First it was a nightmare booking a room. The hotel and the casino hosts do not talk to each other. They just transfer you from voice mail to voice mail and nobody from either the hotel or the casion calls you back.

Then if you do have a comp room, you get the crappy rooms near the elevator. Yeah everybody recommends trying to get these rooms, but really have you seen these rooms vs. the other rooms in the hotel? Well I have and the rooms next to the elevator are crappy. I asked for a room with a view. So up to the second floor to the right....open the door and my room is facing the parking lot...I get to se other people's cars....anybody can walk right up...talk about a joke.

The door to the bathroom did not open all the way...why? Because the shower road was to big and the curve stuck out.

We have stayed at this resort a couple of other times BUT always on the Far East side and the rooms are much nicer.

Also, the pool area.is...messy...we stayed at other resorts with pools. And the trash is always picked up...not there.

Then in the am the first air...we'll smelllleeeeedddd like dog pee! Don't they hose down this area.

So I have not decided if I am going to stay there again...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear apodasr,
Thank you for taking the time to share comments on your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was sorry to hear that the casino hosts and reservation agents were slow in getting back with you regarding your complimentary accommodations. Regarding the rooms near the elevator, I can assure you that these rooms are identical to all of our rooms throughout our resort. Actually, the rooms near the elevator are the most requested rooms, so we are always pleased to reserve rooms in our Spa wing away from the elevators.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments and if I may ever be of personal assistance to you, I have added my office phone number and email address for your reference.

Hal Leonard
(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com
Vega, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We went over July 4 weekend to celebrate my daughter's 24th birthday. Since it was a holiday weekend, there were NO discounts offered & the room was EXPENSIVE!! I will say, though, that the lady who helped me reserve the room was as helpful as she could be & said, while she couldn't offer me a discount, she could (and did) bump me up to an upgraded room.

The room was very nice & well decorated. The balcony was HUGE...largest I've ever seen, below a suite level...and the view was spectacular. The in-room fireplace was gorgeous & our room was chilly enough that the fireplace actually felt nice (in July, no less!!). The bathroom was quite large & clean. The bath products were wonderful & I intend to seek out the brand. The beds were not very firm, but not unbearable. I never, ever sleep well away from home anyway. The only real complaints I have about the room were the shower & fridge. The shower did not drain well & we had to wait a long time for the standing water to drain before the next one could use it (3 women...so you can imagine how long that took!). I couldn't finish the HUGE portion of food I received at the sports bar at lunch, so I carried the to-go container back to the room, to save for later. I was disappointed to learn that the refrigerator they had advertised in the room was one of those "honor bars" and there was NO way to put something else in there. Everything edible in the room (except two bottles of water) were on sensors, so we didn't dare budge them, because you are charged if the sensors go off, whether you actually consume it or not.

The only restaurants we ate at were the sports bar & Mika (for breakfast). The staff was very friendly, but terribly understaffed & frazzled, trying to adequately & timely serve everyone. Still, they are to be commended for their friendliness. The breakfast was quite tasty, as was the sports bar fare, though I made the mistake of not realizing how spicy the green sauce on my burrito was, and...oh, ouch!! If you like spicy food, it will be a delight, but be forewarned, if you don't. Still, it was tasty enough to make me want to soldier through the pain.

Now...the main reason we went...the casino. It was not the worst experience I've ever had, by a long shot, but it was just average, at best. They had very few of the really popular games, & the ones they did were frequently occupied. They didn't pay out very well at all. I held my own, but my daughter lost money hand over fist. The reward program is VERY stingy, so I didn't get the normal satisfaction of at least knowing some of our losses were being recouped in comp points. I will say, however, that they do drawings for prizes very frequently, so that was pretty exciting, though we never won. :-( I was disappointed at the beverage service. If you wanted anything to drink, you had to get up and get it yourself, as it was highly unlikely you would see a cart pass by.

I do need to give props to the nice lady running the liquor store. She was so pleasant and friendly, it was a delight to interact with her.

We were going to go swimming, but our first attempt at the outdoor pool was met with a pool chock full of kids (I don't blame the parents, as there was really NOTHING else there to entertain kids). Later, it began raining, so our second attempt was met with all of the same kids, packed into the indoor pool, including the hot tub (couldn't you at least have left THAT for the adults???). Also, the floors in the dressing room (which you had to go through to get to the pool) were absolutely covered in water. I understand that is a hard thing to constantly patrol, but it was definitely a slip and fall hazard. I will say, though, that the outdoor pool is GORGEOUS at night...the lights change colors & there are flames on top of the canopy thing. It's nice to look at, even if you don't use the pool, so be sure to check it out.

Overall, it was not an unpleasant experience, & I want to give the resort its fair due. It is a gorgeous facility & the staff is friendly, but for the HIGHLY overinflated price, you would expect just a little...I don't know...comparative amount of "extra special." I could have gotten the same experience at a LOT cheaper hotel. With as much money as we left in hotel room cost and in their machines, they should be offering their guests the latest machines, at a decent payout, and an "over the top" experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

It was a little farther out of town than we expected but the hotel was very nice. Quite large and spread out the rooms were very nice but the operating staff not so much, their management made things right. Food at the hotel was very disappointing

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!