“Good people, okay room” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
New York
“Good people, okay room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at Buffalo Thunder during a business meeting in Los Alamos. First, if you are traveling to Los Alamos, I highly recommend staying at BT instead of any of the lodging choices in Los Alamos. It is far superior in terms of room quality and things to do. This was my second time staying there.

The people at BT are terrific--very enthusiastic and helpful. Check-in was a breeze and I was given a nice room with a balcony. The room was okay--perhaps it is the adobe-type structure, but the room seemed somewhat tired and old. The bed was quite comfortable, TV was good. In room services are actually fewer than one finds at a typical Hilton Garden Inn--for example, internet requires the exorbitant hotel rates rather than being gratis. Overall, the room experience was comfortable, but nothing particularly special or outstanding.

Buffalo Thunder is on Indian land and as such can have a casino. I did spend some time "gaming" and it was a good experience. This is not Las Vegas--there is not the electric atmosphere that characterizes Sin City, but it was fun to unwind with a little blackjack and craps.

Overall, I like Buffalo Thunder and will plan to stay there again in my next visit to that area. The quality and enthusiasm of the staff was the highlight of the visit and does make for a most pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Having a balcony is nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Turkish first
st. louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This was my families second time at Buffalo thunder & our best time. I made plans 1 year in advance and i made many mistakes & lost my reservation. I was in Utah & heading for Santa Fe with no room booked & Allayne saved my family from sleeping in our van. I really do thank her for working out my problem which was totally my fault! I take an out west vacation every two years & Allayne i will be asking for you to help me booked my room! Thank you, Thank you! Mike Parsons
P.S. the rooms were beautiful!

Room Tip: Choose room close to spa
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This Hilton was lovely inside and the room was spacious and nice. The signs to find the hotel, however, were difficult. There are two hotels associated with this casino and there is no outward signs to show which entrance to go in. Additionally, once inside, there are no signs identifying the check-in desk, which was not being manned when I arrived. As with many high-end hotels, this room did not come with a complimentary breakfast or free Wi-Fi. It always frustrates me that I can pay less at other hotels and get a breakfast and free Wi-Fi. The room also did not have a microwave or a frig. There were two showers: a shower with a tub and one glass-enclosed shower. The glass-enclosed shower was frustrating because the door opened against the shower head, meaning that you had to stand under the shower head before you had adjusted the temperature (brrrr).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is the first time I have actually stayed in the hotel, we usually opt for Homewood Suites on the same property. We stayed one night and had a late checkout the next day because we had arranged spa treatments. The standard room with a king bed was very comfortable with great pillows. We were able to check in a couple hours early with no problem. We went to the bar and grill down on the casino floor. They were very accommodating, but the food was average and the Bloody Mary's were terrible. We later went upstairs and enjoyed a margarita at the bar by the front desk during happy hour. The female bartender was friendly and made an excellent margarita, and it was only $5!

The spa was very nice and the ladies were very professional and friendly. The spa was able to accommodate our party of five within a few hours of one another. I would definitely return to the spa in the future. The refreshing fruit infused water that they give you after your treatment is awesome. I received a facial and was very pleased with the experience.

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, it was perfect for our ladies weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed june 3 thru june 5, 2014. Beautifully appointed hotel with lots of interesting southwest art in the lobby and common areas. Very clean and well cared for. Hotel shops were high end with good selection of merchandise but greatly overpriced. Rooms were well appointed and a real bargain for the money spent. Restaurants, bars, spas, shops, etc. were all greatly overpriced and were therefore avoided. I liked the fact that the hotel provided as much bottled water as one wanted at no charge. Would always take one or two with us before leaving to see the sights.

Drawbacks: Returned to room after first day out to find our card keys not working and the room door unlatched. I assumed it had been left ajar by housekeeping and had been that way all day. Front desk re-encoded our card keys but seemed to not care about our room being left open all day. Balcony light was burned out and the fixture was absolutely filthy with cob webs and dirt accumulation hanging from it. Asked that it be cleaned, but no one ever appeared to fix it. There was no working ventilation fan in the bathroom, leaving us with steamy mirrors and stinky smells. I was here two years ago and used swimming pool cabanas at no charge. This year found out there was a charge for cabana use between $50 and $75 dollars. Sat out by the pool at night and lots of children were in the pool after dark. Pool lights did not come on until well after dark and this meant no one in the pool could be seen for a period of about 45 minutes. No way a parent count see their children in the pool. Again I made the staff aware of the safety hazard and potential liability, but basically got a brush off by a security person who said he would make management aware. Lighting was the same the following night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here the night before my weekend at Ojo Caliente. Lovely room. Beautiful hotel. I was with a friend who had never been to Buffalo Thunder but had heard me talk about it. She was not disappointed. Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Lake Ozark, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Beautiful large rooms and a great facilities. Hotel is only twenty minutes north of Santa Fe. We enjoyed the pool and casino. We only stayed one night but wished we had book our entire time in Santa Fe here. We will return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!