“Enjoyed My Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Enjoyed My Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

This is the first time I have actually stayed in the hotel, we usually opt for Homewood Suites on the same property. We stayed one night and had a late checkout the next day because we had arranged spa treatments. The standard room with a king bed was very comfortable with great pillows. We were able to check in a couple hours early with no problem. We went to the bar and grill down on the casino floor. They were very accommodating, but the food was average and the Bloody Mary's were terrible. We later went upstairs and enjoyed a margarita at the bar by the front desk during happy hour. The female bartender was friendly and made an excellent margarita, and it was only $5!

The spa was very nice and the ladies were very professional and friendly. The spa was able to accommodate our party of five within a few hours of one another. I would definitely return to the spa in the future. The refreshing fruit infused water that they give you after your treatment is awesome. I received a facial and was very pleased with the experience.

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, it was perfect for our ladies weekend!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Turkish first
Aurora, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed june 3 thru june 5, 2014. Beautifully appointed hotel with lots of interesting southwest art in the lobby and common areas. Very clean and well cared for. Hotel shops were high end with good selection of merchandise but greatly overpriced. Rooms were well appointed and a real bargain for the money spent. Restaurants, bars, spas, shops, etc. were all greatly overpriced and were therefore avoided. I liked the fact that the hotel provided as much bottled water as one wanted at no charge. Would always take one or two with us before leaving to see the sights.

Drawbacks: Returned to room after first day out to find our card keys not working and the room door unlatched. I assumed it had been left ajar by housekeeping and had been that way all day. Front desk re-encoded our card keys but seemed to not care about our room being left open all day. Balcony light was burned out and the fixture was absolutely filthy with cob webs and dirt accumulation hanging from it. Asked that it be cleaned, but no one ever appeared to fix it. There was no working ventilation fan in the bathroom, leaving us with steamy mirrors and stinky smells. I was here two years ago and used swimming pool cabanas at no charge. This year found out there was a charge for cabana use between $50 and $75 dollars. Sat out by the pool at night and lots of children were in the pool after dark. Pool lights did not come on until well after dark and this meant no one in the pool could be seen for a period of about 45 minutes. No way a parent count see their children in the pool. Again I made the staff aware of the safety hazard and potential liability, but basically got a brush off by a security person who said he would make management aware. Lighting was the same the following night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here the night before my weekend at Ojo Caliente. Lovely room. Beautiful hotel. I was with a friend who had never been to Buffalo Thunder but had heard me talk about it. She was not disappointed. Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Lake Ozark, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Beautiful large rooms and a great facilities. Hotel is only twenty minutes north of Santa Fe. We enjoyed the pool and casino. We only stayed one night but wished we had book our entire time in Santa Fe here. We will return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Not very couteous and accommodating to extended guest. The front desk staff was impolite and very short patience with guest and wasn't apologetic for inconvenieces. I must say that the bell crew were absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Phador,
Thank you for taking the time to review your extended stay visit at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that our bell staff was wonderful, however concerned about your comments regarding our Front Desk staff. I would enjoy hearing more from you regading your experience with them, so please feel free to contact me via email or phone whenever you have a chance.
Thank you again for the review.
All the Best

Hal Leonard
(505)819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com
Litchfield Park, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We recently stayed here for 3 nights to visit Santa Fe which is a quick 15-20 min. drive away. We had a large quiet room with a huge balcony overlooking a grassy area. The room had 2 rooms: living room with TV, sofa & powder room & king-size bedroom with TV & full bath. The room was spotless & very quiet. Our room was far away from the elevator, however we enjoy walking. We had breakfast & lunch at the Mica which was excellent & dinner at Red Sage that was also excellent. One night we tried the buffet at the buffet place and hubby & I were laughing because it was shades of "Vegas Vacation". We did see an elderly man attempting to grope one of the wait staff! GROSS! There is beautiful Native American artwork throughout that is worth taking a stroll to see. We did stop at the casino which is quite large. It was nice that they have a large nonsmoking casino area downstairs and a small area on the 1st floor. We didn't use any pools or hot tubs while there or the spa. All of the staff we encountered were very pleasant & the property was spotless.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Just last night returned from a 6 nite stay here, property is stunning and well located for travel to other attractions such as Bandolier and Taos, but there are some serious management issues that Hilton needs to address. I chose this facility (after much thought and comparison) as it is important to me and my family to have access to a good fitness center. swimming pools and hot tubs. Unfortunately, at this hotel, they are so over run by children and young teens, adults physically at many times can't even get in them, despite there being a minimum age of 14 to be in the tubs. There were children as small as 3 years old in the hot tubs, so many at a time, my 23 yr old daughter and I couldn't even get in. There is also an issue with local teens sneaking in thru the fitness center (a manager admitted to me he knows they have a problem with this) and swimming there as well, and really behaving badly while there. I watched one teen boy swimming fully clothed - in a t-shirt, jeans and his socks still on and throwing other kids into the gorgeous indoor pool that I couldn't even enjoy. When we tried to get help Thursday nite from the woman who was nite manager she responded to our questions about age limit with the position that if parents ignore the hotel age limit there was nothing they could do about it and "you don't understand, we cant tell people how to raise their kids." ???? Wow, really? In the morning I spoke to Jason who is apparently in charge of the front desk and he talks a good game and said he would have the nite manager "reach out" to me when I said I feel like she should apologize - no apology ever came and the next nite there were even more people with young kids huddled physically around the tubs and pools almost as if they were their own. We gave up and packed our suits early. It was clear we weren't going to be able to use them. There appear to be a lot of folks from the surrounding area who stay here which is great, but I very definitely left feeling like this Hilton is far more concerned about local dollars than they were mine. Service really needs to be worked on at this hotel. It's like no one wants to be in charge. When we checked out yesterday morning the girl at the front desk said have a nice day but at no point said a simple "thank you." It is really sad too because we really liked the physical set up of the hotel, it is absolutely beautiful here! and Denisse the concierge is wonderful (they should probably make her the manager!) but travel is a big financial decision for ALL of us and we choose hotels in large part for the amenities they offer. For ALL guests to not be able to enjoy those amenities equally is simply bad management and unacceptable. There were people who talked to me about the fact that they were not even paying guests and explained to me how they were getting in and they had better enjoyment of the facility than me and my daughter did and I paid for 6 nites!!! No excuse for that at all!!! I have never written anything like this ever before but today I am writing twice - once here and next I am writing to the Hilton corporation about what is going on at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Laura,
Thank you for taking the time to review your June stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder and please forgive my delayed response. I was very pleased to read that you found the Cleanliness, Location, Rooms and Sleep Quality all five-star. I was however distressed to hear what a poor job we did in controlling the number of children in areas that are not authorized for their use. We do have to deal with this problem on occasion, however are usually quick to respond in resolving these occurences. Obviously we failed to do so during your stay and I have met with our Executive Housekeeper and Director of Security to step up our patrols in these areas.
Thank you again for sharing your comments and if I may be of further assistance to you, please don't hesitate to contact me personally.

Hal Leonard
(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!