“Good Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
“Good Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Stayed here for a night with friends, we got 3 rooms as my friends got married earlier in the day and we decided to stay over and have the wedding dinner at their restaurant Red Sage. It was a lovely hotel, as I loved the room decor and arrangement. It was a great touch with the indoor and outdoor pool. If you are into casinos, the casino downstairs was great. Enjoyed my short stay here on my inaugural trip to New Mexico and will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoyed staying here...after I got into the room. When my colleges and I originally walked into the hotel section of Buffalo Thunder we didn't know where we were going. It was so big all of us got lost initially. Including the heavy smell of chlorine on the first floor and the 3rd floor for where I stayed at.

The walk TO the room was...a challenge. Its so big that I felt like it was on a trek to find my room...After I made it to the room it was truly amazing. The view was magnificent and the way the sliding door and balcony was were truly a sight to behold.

The bathroom was outstanding and everything else about the place really spoke volumes to me. I would revisit.

I don't remember if there was a breakfast and I really could not find really affordable places to eat I think that was my problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed here for two nights on our route 66 road trip. Cant't fault the hotel on cleanliness, lovely comfortable beds, but lacking in a couple of things we found just not right for us. If you are a golfer or just visiting Santa Fe or into Casino, but travelling not too good. Internet was charged at $9.95 per day, unlike all the other hotels we have stayed stayed in since leaving Chicago. Best Western outshine for travellers, with fridges, microwaves, washing facilitie and free internet along with very very friendly staff who go the extra mile to make your stay comfortable. Lessons could be learnt here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Aurora, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Anthony at the front desk is awesome. Not happy with the hotel layout, or the nickel-dime pricing, but overall a good place to stay. We had to leave early due to adverse weather heading home. Kinda far from downtown Santa Fe

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

This hotel misses the mark across a range of expectations when staying at a Hilton property.

During our stay (two couples) reception staff members, with one exception, were incompetent and unprofessional. However there were moments of humor. When I asked about balcony views, a staff member informed us that all the rooms have views of parking lots except those that are near the air conditioning units that can be heard from the rooms. When I informed the staff member that the wine and cheese gift ordered for our friends' anniversary was billed to THEIR account instead of ours, I was told that usually the room receiving the gift would receive the bill (no apology). At first our friends did not notice their gift because, although the bathroom was cleaned that day, their bed was never made up and a pile of folded towels had been left on the second bed in the room.

There are no nearby options for meals outside of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was generous and included made-to-order eggs. The dinners at the hotel restaurant, while expensive, were enjoyable not only because of the food but also the friendly professional service. There is a nice outdoor area at the nearby golf club where you can have drinks on a patio with decent views.

This hotel is in the middle of nowhere with a tacky atmosphere due to the casino (we drove around and around when we first arrived due to lack of parking in front of the hotel. We ended up parking in what felt like a remote area we were not even sure belonged to this hotel). As others have stated, you can smell smoke from the casino. It is 15 -20 minutes from the historic center of Santa Fe. In Santa Fe there are beautiful historic hotels.

My recommendation to Management is to provide immediate training to the reception staff about the importance of greeting guests warmly (a smile now and then is very effective), apologizing when necessary (again, this is very effective) and at least acting like they care.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying more for a balcony because we were informed that all the views are marred by...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed her 05/07/14. Ok, the prices for the rooms vary from one hour to the next. When I checked in, the standard King bed, non smoking was $129 plus taxes and a resort fee. However, they upgraded me to a King balcony for free because I'm a Hilton Honors member. Free? Hardly! There are a lot of variables which go into the prices of the rooms. If you go to Hilton's website and book the room in advance, you will NOT get the BEST price! This was a little disturbing to me when I found the same room for $30 less per night on the same night and it was the same room. Yes, it was advertised for $90.50, at the same time Hilton was offering it for $129!. I challenged the reservation with the front desk and they refused to reduce the price of the room to match the lower price. See: www.hotelreservations.com I went through a 10 minute back and forth with the front desk attendant and they said that Hilton's price was not the lowest, might not ever be the lowest, and any traveler making a reservation should check at least 5 different websites to find the lowest price. It would seem to me that Hilton would want to insure their Hhonors rewards members were happy, but no, they would not match the lower price.

The front desk person also warned me that I should carefully read the fine print, terms and conditions, because they are not all the same and I could wind up paying for the room if I had an unexpected cancellation. All this makes me wonder about a class action law suit against the hotels and third party vendors who buy up rooms and try to resell them for a few bucks less. One never knows if they are getting a good deal or not. Some advertising leads you to believe you're getting the best price, when in reality, you're not.

The attendant also advised us that the hotel makes money on the third party vendors by having them buy up blocks of rooms, which they pay Hilton for. Since the hotel was only at around 80% capacity this night, according to him, they made money from the vendor by having them pay Hilton for the rooms that went unsold. Suggestion: If you can, review a number of on-line websites for the best price and book through them. That was Hilton's employee's best suggestion and response. Don't go through Hilton's website, because it is not going to give you the best price. Add your hhonors number once you arrive at the hotel so you get the credit on your rewards account.

For the price, you get a very nice Hilton hotel. The room was impressive, clean and well stocked. We requested additional towels at 8:30 p.m. and they were delivered within 5 minutes. The hotel is situated on top of the casino, which may be considered the 1st floor. I did not hear any noise from the casino or anything else, and I am a light sleeper. I rested very well and awoke to gorgeous sunshine!

I ate in the casino restaurant, it was was unremarkable. I will say that the mixed drinks were good and not overpriced as they are in some casino restaurants. The hotel restaurant closes at 9, so get there early! Staff at the hotel were friendly and attentive.

The location is a quick 15 minute drive to town (a straight shot on an interstate) and you don't have to worry about parking (free at the hotel) or security.

The only downside, as with most Hiltons, was the $10 per/day charge for accessing the internet PER DEVICE!. You have to ASK, but this fee will be WAIVED if you show you're an Hhonors member upon check-in. If you don't ask, they will bill you! It's all about the money!

This is NOT a 4 or 5 star resort. It's good, but not great. Some of these folks on Yelp or Tripadvisor tend to overrate everything. Be mindful of this. Only 1% or less of the hotels in the world would rate 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

The nice aspects of the property is the very nice Southwestern art that populates the hotel and the rooms. The exercise room is well decked-out. It has a Starbucks. And...well...there is a casino in the basement. They deposit two little bottles of water in your room daily.

The staff is not friendly or attentive. The price for food is very high. The elevators smell much like a bar after a heavy night. The smell of smoke tends to waft throughout the first floor. A glass of coke at the lobby bar is $3.75. Internet connection is $9.95 a day and very slow/not dependable. They have those weight-based snack bars in each room, and I got charged almost $4 for a small pack of M&Ms that fell out of the tray. Upon asking, they removed that cost from my bill. And while the rooms are nice, they are small and the water in the shower is not impressive. Room service charged an automatic 22% gratuity plus a mysterious $3 charge for something.

Best food in the hotel are the Breakfast Burritos at the Starbucks.

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!