“Exactly as advertised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Leawood, Kansas
“Exactly as advertised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Just stayed here on a long weekend getaway. I was going to stay downtown/plaza and not rent a car. This was an easy drive and was a very safe location. Looking at the negative reviews here, they had to be written by people who do not travel very often and or want champagne on beer budget.

We stayed on the executive floor with a fireplace. I would have liked to have had the fireplace across from the bed instead of being on the same wall as the bed however I understand that the construction is what it is. Nice balconies and very much enjoyed the sunsets. My only complaint for the room is there was not any mirror besides the bathroom sink. It would be easy to install even on the inside of the closet door.

We ate at the Red Sage on our first night as we got settled into the hotel. It was expensive however it was very good. Being from the Midwest I did not spend the money on one of their steaks however at the table next to mine someone ordered the porterhouse and it looked great. The service was good and what I would expect for these prices.

The coffee counter (Starbucks) was slow in the morning. However the coffee in the room worked just fine. I stayed out of the casino due to the smoke that was very think. I think this is a NM casino thing and not a hotel thing.

We did attempt to book spa services however they do not open until 10 am and that would have taken up too much of our day of site seeing. I am guessing that maybe there is not the demand however 8 to 5 seems more convenient than 10 -6.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Great sunsets looking over the pool. Seeing the tops of the air conditioners etc. was not big deal...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear rj,
Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and I was happy to read that you chose our resort over the downtown/plaza area! Your comments on Red Sage are also greatly appreciated and I'm glad that your enjoyed your dining experience there.
And since you are planning on returning, please send me a note prior to your arrival as I would enjoy meeting you. Thanks again for the great review.

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was one of our favorite places to stay. The front desk staff was five stars house keeping was a minus 5. The hotel felt like they were cutting corners economically . We missed all the friendly hellos from staff while walking thru the hotel. We were upgraded to a nice room due to concerns we had with our first room but the second room had a dirty towel and bathrobe behind the door that we didn't discover till morning ugh. Would I give them an other chance probably but on this visit hilton didn't make the grade.

Stayed October 2013
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear Photoman,
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you gave our Front Desk staff a 5-star rating and that they were able to upgrade you to a nice room. I was disappointed however, to read that the condition of the room was not up to our high standards and that a towel and robe remained from a previous stay. I can assure you that this is not typical of the type of service provided by our Housekeeping Department, as their company-wide and TripAdvisor scores are consistently outstanding. Obviously, we failed in this instance.
I was also pleased to read that you will give us another opportunity to serve you, so please feel free to contact me directly and I will be pleased to arrange your accommodations.
Thank you again for sharing your comments.

austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week in a handicap accessible, pet friendly room. We were pleased with the room size, furnishings and location. Pillows are feather and thin but we had five pillows per bed. Our room was clean and well stocked with bath supplies, coffee and coffee pot. A lightbulb was burnt out in the bathroom when we arrived and was surprised that the housekeeping had not reported it. We called the front desk on the third day and maintenance came immediately and replaced it. We called the front desk phone several times and did not get an answer and had to go there directly for our questions. It was surprising that there wasn't even another customer at the desk so I don't know why there were problems with them not answering. Our room was on the second floor, wing one and faced the golf course. We had a patio that was furnished with a small table and two comfortable chairs. We were very pleased with our room.

• Stayed October 2013
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Austinwineoh,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you stayed with us for a week and were so pleased with your room size, furnishings and location. I have passed along your comments regarding Housekeeping and Front Office to make them aware of these shortcomings. We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Visalia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our experience was special and meaningful. We enjoyed the fitness room, business center met our needs and all staff were helpful. The setting is beautiful and peaceful. Aside from a negative experience in the dining property, RED SAGE we had an awesome opportunity for respite, pleasure and fun. Thank you!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Margarita,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was so pleased to read that your experience was special and meaningful and that you found our staff so helpful. I would like to hear the details of your negative experience in Red Sage and have included my email address for your convenience.
I'm glad that you had an awesome opportunity for respite, pleasure and fun!

Rio Rancho, New Mexico, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My kids were out of school for a long weekend and my wife's family lives minutes from this hotel, so we decided to take a quick overnight trip. Our boys love the indoor pool at Buffalo Thunder and we generally like the accomodations. We stay here every few months when we go up to visit the family since it's one of the few nice accomodations north of Santa Fe in the area.
On this visit, we decided to spring for a Double Queen Superior Suite because it offers separate living and sleeping areas and we like to be able to put the kids to bed at a reasonable time and not be stuck tiptoeing and whispering around a dark hotel room. The room was very nice: double doors separate the two spaces, each has its own fireplace and balcony, and the living area even has a powder room.
We checked in around 5pm and took the boys straight to the pool. After that we changed clothes and met some family for dinner and then let the kids play in the arcade for a while before taking them back up to put them to bed. Once they were down, we finally went out to the living area to watch some TV and relax.
After sitting down on the sofa, we started noticing things on the floor: a swizzle stick from a mixed drink, something that looked like a chunk of bacon and some other small unidentified 'chunks'. Since we hadn't had any food or drinks in the living area, it was pretty obvious that the room hadn't been vacuumed after the previous occupants. Once you know that, you can't help but question the cleanliness of everything else in the room. A few minutes later, I went to adjust the back cushion on the sofa and a bunch of sand fell out onto the seat. At that point, I was bugged enough by it to call the front desk to complain. I described what we had found and the guy asked me, "Did you just check in or what?"- apparently implying that we had made the mess and now just wanted to be difficult. He went on to say that he'd make a note of it and make sure his manager was aware. Then, I'm guessing based on his attitude, he flipped me off through the phone and we ended the call.
This place has so much potential: it's a beautiful property in an even more beautiful location; but, with concerns about their housekeeping and the lack of concern for customer satisfaction, I think we'll look for something in Santa Fe next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Darin,
Thank you for taking the time to review your last of many visits to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm glad to hear that you still find our resort beautiful and that the kids have always enjoyed our indoor pool. I am truly disappointed that the cleanliness of your room on this trip was not consistent with your previous ones. I was also dismayed that the attitute of the Front Desk receptionist was uncaring and that he did not resolve your concern. I would like to have the opportunity of correcting this issue, especially since you have been pleased with your previous stays. Please feel free to contact me via email, which I have included in this note.
Thanks again for sharing.......

Marysville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We scored a good last minute deal to stay at this property. For the money, I was very impressed. I would highly recommend this property.

The check in was fast and friendly.

The room was clean, quiet and had nice furniture. There was no fridge nor microwave in the room. The bathroom was quite nice, with the only drawback being the somewhat low(er) flow shower head (if I remember correctly.) They provide nice quality towels. If I remember correctly, the lighting in the room may have been a little dark.

The pool had good late hours. The indoor pool reminds me a little bit of San Simeon. The outdoor pool closed early, but it was cold out. I had to wait until the next morning to take a quick dip in it.

This is one of the best work out rooms I have seen at a U.S. hotel. They have 50 pound dumbbells, numerous machines and a good hours.

They have a computer center with 4 computers for free usage. I was disappointed that they didn't have free wifi (unless you are a Hilton preferred member or something like that.)

Most of the restaurants on site were a little spendy for out taste, except the walk up limited selection deli style place downstairs in the casino. I suspect this isn't an issue for many people who can afford staying here and aren't as cheap as me.

The check out was also quick and friendly.

I would look forward to staying here again.

As others have noted, be aware this is a little bit out of Santa Fe. We found the trip up and down US 285/US84 a pleasant drive, but due be aware you are miles out of the heart of town.

Dear western u,
I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed a "Great Stay" on your recent visit to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder. It sound like the Front Desk staff did a wonderful job at check-in and again at checkout, which I will pass along to them with my thanks. You have listed the rooms, fitness center, pool and business center as some of the outstanding amenities that you enjoyed, which I was thrilled to read.
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review for the readers of TripAdvisor.

Vail, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I went to Santa Fe for a long weekend trip. We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I could really rip this hotel but I will just give an honest review: good, bad and ugly.The hotel is huge! There are many things about this hotel that were misrepresented on their website. We stayed in a King Terrace Suite. Our room was at the very end of the building and there is only one bank of elevators on each floor, which was about 300 yards from our room. We didn't mind so much but I can imagine some people would be upset. The water pressure was mediocre in the shower. The TV's are touted to be 42 inches but the are 37 inches. The decor is outdated and there were stains on the carpet. There is no mini fridge so if you take your own beverages, take a small cooler and be prepared to haul it back from the ice machine. Cell service is spotty and the internet is not free. The bed was comfy and they have down comforters which were nice and warm. There were two doors to the terrace, one had a screen and one didn't. There was a stairway located right outside of our door that led to a back door to the parking lot that had a key card lock on it but it was never locked and always cracked open...not very safe. The casino was nice but it is smoky and just so you know, they do not serve alcohol while playing any games because it's run by an Indian reservation. None of the casinos do, FYI. They do have a coffee bar and soda bar though. But, we heard from one of the locals that this casino is the only one that has craps tables, which was a plus for us. Overall, this hotel seemed very impersonal because of the size. We probably wouldn't stay there again because the price was too much for all of the shortcomings.

Room Tip: The end units are probably quieter but a long walk to the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Vailprincess,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was truly disappointed to read that your King Terrace Suite had so many shortcomings. I would like to do my best to turn around your opinion of our resort, by inviting you and your husband back. Please contact me personally by email or telephone at your earliest convenience.
Thank you again for sharing your comments.

(505) 819-2000

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!