“Buffalo Thunder” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Lindsay, United States
“Buffalo Thunder”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

excellent service and accomodations, the only drawback was that it did not have a tub in our room, other than that the room was great. Would enjoy another visit to the hotel. Location was excellent for Santa Fe and the surrounding area attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Will,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the excellent service and accomodations during your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you felt the room was great, despite not having a tub. Since you plan on returning, please request a room with a tub, since many our rooms do have shower/tubs which we will be happy to provide.
And please feel free to contact me personally prior to that visit, as I will be happy to make reservations for you.

hal.leonard@hilton.com

974 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I live in Albuquerque and was attending a wedding at Buffalo Thunder Resort. It was a pretty big group so most people stayed at Buffalo Thunder and a lot stayed at the Homewood Suites right next to the resort. Their we're so many problems that I don't know where to begin...... My husband and I stayed at the Homewood Suites and it was great. My sister on the other hand stayed at Buffalo Thunder with her 3 children.... She called me and told me her room was horrible. She said their was dried yellow bodily fluid on the bed spread and the sheets were molded!!! Yes molded!!!! I told her to call a manger. A laundry manager was sent to her room and took the bedding and offered her breakfast coupons for her and her family. She was so upset and offended that management thought a plate of pancakes was a fair compensation for bodily fluids on hotel bedding. She then went to the front desk and asked to speak to another manager and they ended up comping her room for 1 night. On another note the wedding planner was absolutely horrible and I actually felt so sorry for the bride. There was absolutely no a/c in the chapel that 150 guests attended the wedding at in June! There are tons of wedding photos of people fanning the wedding party because it was so hot. The Honeymoon Suite was not ready when it was suppose to be as promised by wedding coordinator so the wedding party could get ready together. When the wedding coordinator was confronted by the wedding party she actually confronted and raised her voice at the bride! It goes on and on!!!! I do have to say that the food at Red Sage was great! Over priced but great and the female bartender was so nice. We also went to the Warehouse Night club while there. It was a very low class club the crowd was a little scary. A fight broke out while we were there and people near us were actually afraid of being shot!!!! The security was not good and for the kind of crowd they keep their should be a metal detector or a pat down from security before entering club. On a plus side I ran a tab at the bar and bought at least 10 to 15 drinks for our group and was only charged $40!!!! The bartender there was very personable as well;0) I assume that no one checks ID's there because as we were leaving the Warehouse we noticed some of the under aged teens that were attending the wedding at the craps table in the casino with alcohol. I could go on about this "resort" but I think I have highlighted the most important issues. My advice to anyone going to an event at Buffalo Thunder..... Stay at Homewood Suites right next door. It was a million times better then Buffalo Thunder and they even offer free breakfast at Homewood Suites which was at least $25 per person at Buffalo Thunder.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rachelle,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Hilton Buffalo Thunder and your wonderful stay at our Homewood Suites property. I want to apologize for the problem encountered by your sister and was pleased to read that our staff responded by providing her with complimentary accommodations for the evening. Regarding the wedding, all of the comments that I have read from recent bridal couples have been nothing but positive. I will share this information with our Wedding Specialist, who will be following up immediately with the bride.
I was pleased to read not only on your wonderful stay at Homewood Suites, but about the great food and service that you experienced at our Red Sage Restaurant.

Albany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived on June 28th and departed on July 2nd.We traveled with our grandson and his friend. The Hotel was beautiful and very clean. I rented a junior suite with 2 queens and a sofa sleeper. The sofa sleeper was as comfortable as the beds. Our suite was located on the 2 floor but our patio opened to the ground level which was great for us. We were able to park in the back parking lot which was an easy walk to Jeep. If you want a mountain view ask for a higher room. The 2 pools 2 hot tubs was great. There was a water area for the very young children. My older grand (15yr old) would have liked a basketball court. There was a tennis court. There were different priced restaurants located in the Hotel and food was good. There is
a casino on bottom floor. I do not see anyone having any luck.This resort was very friendly and helpful. I recommend this resort for all ages.

Room Tip: Second floor suites does not have mountain view. Our junior suite was large with a huge patio.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gale,
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you found the hotel beautiful and clean, and that you enjoyed the pool area so much. It looks like I'll have to work on the basketball court for your grandson!
Thanks again for taking the time to write about our "friendly and helpful resort".

miami, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

hotel and surroundings very beautiful. staff not coordinated as to what is open and when. casino staff (security) not fully aware of how to cash in player's points. room rate $40 over what daily rate for this class of hotel. it is not a $200 a night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Philip,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I appreciate your comments regarding some staff members not being aware of what was open, as all of our team members should be aware of these basics. I will make sure to emphasize all of the features of our resort during our daily departmental meetings.
Since you found our hotel and surroundings very beautiful, I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The room was beautiful at first look but it became clear that there were little details like missing tiles in the shower, the bathroom lock was broken, ect that had been overlooked. However the bed was fabulous and loved the decor and our stay there. I had varying encounters with booking the room. Hilton worldwide was useless to help book the room and give me insight into which room to pick. However when I finally figured out how to book through the hotel it was a little better but still frustrating experience. The day of I called to request a room with a view and had a wonderful experience speaking to a lady named erin at the front desk hands down most helpful person of our entire trip. upon checking in we were definitely disappointed with the person checking us in when we asked some simple location questions like where closet bank and grocery store ect. The guy had no idea and could give us no guidance. It would be nice to have been given a map of Santa Fe. Also after giving us a long spiel about the mini fridge and sensors ect ours was empty and we felt as though it was not acceptable to use. We used (correction tried) the concierge the next day to help us pick a restaurant for dinner but took me about 30 mins to even get some suggestions as she was multi tasking on another level, unfortunately made the simple task I was looking for help on take times as long and ended with no solution other than here googling which i could have done myself in my room. The shuttle was a great way to get down to Santa Fe but became a disappointment when we found out to get back we had to leave by 10 so we ended up taking a $50 cab back to the hotel. Some how we found out about the "caddy" program and our cab was much cheaper but by no help of the hotel. =( Also the side doors to the hotel never closed which seemed like a safety risk. Overall we did actually enjoy our stay very much. My suggestions would be to have more guest friendly maps at the front desk with attendants educated more about the area. I also think would be beneficial to have shuttles return later so one could experience the downtown Santa Fe safely, which would be the only reason I would choose to stay downtown next time rather than the buffalo thunder. Lastly Internet and ability to use a mini fridge should be free in this day and age.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for the detailed review on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay very much, despite the tiny details that we missed. I'm sorry that you had to bring them to our attention, however greatly appreciate this feedback which will only help us to improve.
I would enjoy following up with you personally on your review, so please feel free to reach out to me personally by phone or email. And thanks again for the review......

(505) 819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com
St. Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel is well maintained and the staff were attentive and kind. Everyone spoke when you approached without your having to speak to them first. I booked a king room with a balcony and was somehow assigned a junior suite with 2 double beds and a much larger balcony than a regular king room balcony. My view was looking out at the mountains and a courtyard between two buildings. Very nice! The rooms were clean and furnishings very up to date and the beds were wonderful. The casino is relegated to the basement (a good thing, in my opinion).

Lots of children were present during the weekend having fun in the pool, etc. Yes, it was a a little noisey but most of the children were well behaved. Someone spilled some ice cubes in the hall and they were quickly picked up. The hotel is large and if one has difficulty walking, one may wish to ask for a room close to the elevators (mine was not and I prefer the quiet).

The hotel is some distance from downtown Santa Fe, so you need a car to get there. The hotel does have a couple of rental cars available through Hertz, but not many. I had to fly to Albuquerque drive to Santa Fe, and then out to the resort. There were two restaurants in the hotel for evening meal service. I chose to go downtown all but one night and then ate at the hotel's buffet, which was fine. All in all, a very nice hotel with great staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a large balcony.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Scott,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to read that you found our rooms clean with wonderful beds and that our staff was not only attentive, but very engaging.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.......and seeing that you're from St. Louis.....go Cards!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Fantastic experience with my kids! I was looking for a quick getaway with my kids for the 4th. I was somewhat apprehensive of a casino resort. It was a great experience. Casino and resort are separate yet connected should an adult wish to venture over. The pool area was fantastic and my kids and I had a blast!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Gwennctx,
Thank you for sharing comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was so pleased to read that you had a "fantastic experience with your kids" at our beautiful resort. Glad to hear that our indoor and outdoor pools allowed you and the kids to have a blast!
I look forward to welcoming you and the family back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!