“First time visitor” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Wichita Falls, Texas
“First time visitor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

When I am in town on business, I always stay in Santa Fe, but chose to stay out here this time just to get away from it all. I was upgraded to a terrace suite which was nice, check-in went well and quick. The property is huge, well decorated with numerous pieces of Indian art, pottery and etc. The Terrace suite was spacious, big patio area facing the west and nicely decorated inside. One negative, the A/C never quite got cool enough for me, not sure if they have a minimum room setting, but it was okay for the night. I ordered a meal downstairs to eat in my room, very good and not to expensive. The golf course looked great, I wish I had time to play, maybe next time. Overall experience was very good, and plan on staying here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Travelnow39,
Thanks for taking the time to review your first stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our spacious resort with our large collection of Native American art pieces throughout the property. It was also great to hear that your Terrace Suite was spacious and well decorated as well as your excellent meal.
Our Towa Golf Course is a must-play, so please make sure to save some time to enjoy it on your next visit. You won't even have to bring your clubs, as we use the latest sets of Nike clubs for our rentals. Thanks again for sharing and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

967 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Las Cruces
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The bathroom was spacious with the toilet behind a divider.
The bathroom had one towel ring and one towel bar,
neither of which was anywhere near the shower.
There was no vent fan in the bathroom.

There is no free internet at this hotel and
there is no way to set the current time on the alarm clock.
The ice machine was nowhere near the elevator, there were
no signs pointing to it, and the in-room guidebook was useless.
The receipt slipped under our door contained a long explanation
of ways to check-out, but never said exactly what check-out time is.
The TV channels listed in the in-room guidebook did not match
channels actually available, and there was no printed list of channels
with the remote.

The room was very spacious with a nice balcony.
The bathroom was well lighted, but the bedroom could have used more light.
The room air conditioner was quiet and worked well.
The bed was very comfortable.
There was a large desk, and extra counter space around the TV.
The trash cans in the room were larger than average, which was handy.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony if you have a choice.
Dear Emerald1125,
Thank you for sharing your thoughtful and practical comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read your positive comments on our resort and that you rated Sleep Quality and Cleanliness both 5's. The description on our rooms being spacious with a nice balcony along with well lighted bathrooms with large desks were greatly appreciated. Your other suggestions were right on point and I will take immediate steps to correct them this week.
Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Tuttle, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I booked at this location in part to a good value that we got for our stay at this hotel. Check in went pretty well at 1 am in the morning. However this was the last good experience that we had with the Hotel. The night we arrived in our room our AC was out. We just ended up opening the window of the room. The next morning we went to the front desk and placed a work order for the AC in our room. That night when we got back to our room it was still at 83 degrees. No one had looked at our AC unit. Went back to the front desk and they only had two people working. There was a long line and it took about an hour of waiting to get to see someone at the front desk. We asked to speak to a manager. Told him about our AC problem in our room and he said he would get right on it. I asked him if the unit could not be fixed would they send up a fan to our room and he said no problem. We went out for dinner and when we returned I found a card that said the Air technician had been to our room. Nothing was noted on the card. The room was now 80 degrees. A bit cooler I guess. Went back to the front desk and asked for the manager again and said that we would like for them to send a fan up to our room. He said they had several and would send one up. Never saw a fan that night. The air conditioning was pretty loud that night. You could hear water running and loud mechanical noises coming from it. We just turned the AC unit off and opened the window again. Spoke to the front desk manager the next morning on our check out and explained what had happened. She said that she was sorry and asked what could she do for us. Her exact words were "could I buy you a couple of coffees or something to make this stay better?" I found that funny. I just wanted a room that the AC worked in or simply a fan to make a hot room better. I told her if they could fix the room for the next guest that would be enough for me. Normally we have very good luck when we stay at a Hilton Property. These rooms were clean and up to standard. The property was nice. It did appear that there might have been a lot of people in the pool area that were not staying at the hotel. No way to confirm this though. I would not stay at this hotel again. I have stayed at the Hilton Downtown and had a much better experience.

Dear FH,
Thank you for sharing comments on your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that your arrival experience went well and that you felt the rooms were clean, up to standard and that the property is nice. I was however very disturbed to hear that not only was your AC not functioning properly, but that our management staff did not attempt to "Make It Right" after you brought this problem to our attention. I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly by email or telephone as I plan on looking into this immediately.
Your candid review is very much appreciated.
Sincerely

(505) 819-2000
Amarillo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Excellent hotel and staff...nice casino and the restaurants are all great. The atmosphere is very relaxing. The rooms are decorated very nice and are clean. This place makes for a wonderful weekend getaway and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Darren,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Buffalo Thunder with the readers of TripAdvisor. You pretty much said it all in your short review.......clean, well-decorated rooms, relaxing atmosphere and especially an excellent staff. I was pleased to hear that you will "definitely be back".
Looking forward to meeting you on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Albuquerque, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great time at a wonderful wedding venue. The rooms are wonderful and the venue is very romantic. The pool, the rooms and the golf course exceeded our expectations. The rooms are clean and the bathroom is spacious. The detail to customer requirements are impeccable. We enjoyed the hotel and the casino. There was no smoke in the hotel because the casino is located in the bottom floor of the building so no smoke is bothering the quests of the hotel. The facility and the decor equal and surpass many of the hotels in Las Vegas. It is a quiet getaway with a big city ambiance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Johnnina,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your room, pool, golf course and casino. I'm not sure if you were on your honeymoon, however glad to hear that you felt our resort was very romantic and that the detail to customer requirements were impeccable.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to "getaway from it all" for an overnight stay this past May. Our first impression was from a rude front-desk employee, that would not check us in early (check-in time is 4pm, we arrived at 3:30pm). 10 minutes later, a phone call informing me that our room was ready. We had to explore the entire property ourselves, as we were never offered any info/advice. Room was nice, but after taking a shower, the entire bathroom/entryway floor was flooded. If you call Room Service, make sure you are planning on spending money, otherwise they WILL NOT respond to your needs. Spa experience was top-notch however. Do yourself a favor, and only partake in the Spa services at this "resort", as everything else will leave you feeling light in the wallet, and heavy in dissapointment.

Dear TA,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was sorry to hear that your arrival experience was less than desirable and that we neglected to offer any information about our resort. We do have a full-time concierge as well as bellman on a 24-hour basis, so there is no excuse for you having to explore the entire property.
I would like to discuss your dissatisfaction with you personally, so would appreciate you contacting me via email or phone and have attached my contact information for your reference. I'm confident that we will be able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

(505) 819-2000
Prairie Village, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Some of the scary reviews had me questioning our family's decision to stay here leading up to Memorial Day weekend. But, once again, the whiners and complainers cast spurious doubt on what proved to be a remarkable resort.

I originally reserved a Terrace Suite but changed to a Junior Suite prior to arrival after learning the latter is much better suited for a family; it's equipped with more seating area in the room. It worked out great; loved the room. Spacious and open studio floor plan on the 5th floor with a large balcony overlooking the mountains and part of the golf course. The big bathroom had a large stand-alone shower as well as a bathtub with another shower. We had an issue with the air conditioner not cooling the room but one call to the front desk and it was fixed within an hour or two.

We spent a lot of time at the outdoor pool. Very nice! As others have mentioned, the weekends are quite busy so pool chairs were in short supply, but during the week there was plenty of space. The kids had hours of fun in the pool, and the weather and scenery were perfect for those of us spending more time on the sidelines. The poolside bar is open during the day but oddly closes at 4pm. However, the Red Sage restaurant has a door on the patio where a person can get drinks at any time.

The reviewers' complaints about scarce dining options in and around the hotel do not make sense. We dined at Red Sage one night, ordered a carry-out pizza and a couple sandwiches from the Pueblo Deli in the casino another night, and ate at Mica's breakfast buffet twice. Food was good everywhere. In the casino is a sports bar/restaurant (Turquoise Trail). Kids are allowed in the casino with an adult; they even have kids' menus at Turquoise Trail. The Painted Parrot Buffet is closed Monday and Tuesday evenings so it didn't work out for us to eat there. The gas station directly south of the hotel has an Arby's, and a couple miles to the north there is a Subway, Dairy Queen, and another cafe or two. About 1.5 miles south is a nice Southwest-style restaurant called Gabriel's at which we intended on dining, but never made it there. So, my point is there are plenty of places to eat within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Plus Santa Fe is only 15-20 minutes.

We experienced excellent service throughout the resort. The one and only service problem we encountered was at Red Sage, but the manager (I forget her name) more than compensated for our disappointing experience (although the food was great). The way she handled the situation was extremely professional and only helped raise my opinion of the hotel and its management. Regarding specific employees, the only name I remember is Guy; he did a superb job of keeping us liquored up at all times by the pool.

Other random tidbits: Contrary to others' opinions, I didn't smell cigarette smoke anywhere in the hotel except in the casino. We almost scheduled time at the spa, but the excessive prices ultimately swayed us to stay by the pool instead. It looked really nice though. Fantastic art is scattered throughout the resort. I posted a picture of the butterfly made out of real butterflies.

The Buffalo Thunder turned out to be a terrific retreat for our family vacation. We did a lot of "adventurous" things (hiking, rafting, etc) so having a home-base outside of Santa Fe, but not too far, worked out really well for us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gruntlumber,
I was very pleased to read that you "Party Animals" had such a great time during your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room, outdoor pool and all of the restaurants in the hotel and casino. And thank you for pointing out that you experienced excellent service throughout the resort.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

hal.leonard@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!