“Wedding guest” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, United States
“Wedding guest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great time at a wonderful wedding venue. The rooms are wonderful and the venue is very romantic. The pool, the rooms and the golf course exceeded our expectations. The rooms are clean and the bathroom is spacious. The detail to customer requirements are impeccable. We enjoyed the hotel and the casino. There was no smoke in the hotel because the casino is located in the bottom floor of the building so no smoke is bothering the quests of the hotel. The facility and the decor equal and surpass many of the hotels in Las Vegas. It is a quiet getaway with a big city ambiance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Johnnina,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your room, pool, golf course and casino. I'm not sure if you were on your honeymoon, however glad to hear that you felt our resort was very romantic and that the detail to customer requirements were impeccable.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to "getaway from it all" for an overnight stay this past May. Our first impression was from a rude front-desk employee, that would not check us in early (check-in time is 4pm, we arrived at 3:30pm). 10 minutes later, a phone call informing me that our room was ready. We had to explore the entire property ourselves, as we were never offered any info/advice. Room was nice, but after taking a shower, the entire bathroom/entryway floor was flooded. If you call Room Service, make sure you are planning on spending money, otherwise they WILL NOT respond to your needs. Spa experience was top-notch however. Do yourself a favor, and only partake in the Spa services at this "resort", as everything else will leave you feeling light in the wallet, and heavy in dissapointment.

Dear TA,
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was sorry to hear that your arrival experience was less than desirable and that we neglected to offer any information about our resort. We do have a full-time concierge as well as bellman on a 24-hour basis, so there is no excuse for you having to explore the entire property.
I would like to discuss your dissatisfaction with you personally, so would appreciate you contacting me via email or phone and have attached my contact information for your reference. I'm confident that we will be able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

(505) 819-2000
Prairie Village, KS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Some of the scary reviews had me questioning our family's decision to stay here leading up to Memorial Day weekend. But, once again, the whiners and complainers cast spurious doubt on what proved to be a remarkable resort.

I originally reserved a Terrace Suite but changed to a Junior Suite prior to arrival after learning the latter is much better suited for a family; it's equipped with more seating area in the room. It worked out great; loved the room. Spacious and open studio floor plan on the 5th floor with a large balcony overlooking the mountains and part of the golf course. The big bathroom had a large stand-alone shower as well as a bathtub with another shower. We had an issue with the air conditioner not cooling the room but one call to the front desk and it was fixed within an hour or two.

We spent a lot of time at the outdoor pool. Very nice! As others have mentioned, the weekends are quite busy so pool chairs were in short supply, but during the week there was plenty of space. The kids had hours of fun in the pool, and the weather and scenery were perfect for those of us spending more time on the sidelines. The poolside bar is open during the day but oddly closes at 4pm. However, the Red Sage restaurant has a door on the patio where a person can get drinks at any time.

The reviewers' complaints about scarce dining options in and around the hotel do not make sense. We dined at Red Sage one night, ordered a carry-out pizza and a couple sandwiches from the Pueblo Deli in the casino another night, and ate at Mica's breakfast buffet twice. Food was good everywhere. In the casino is a sports bar/restaurant (Turquoise Trail). Kids are allowed in the casino with an adult; they even have kids' menus at Turquoise Trail. The Painted Parrot Buffet is closed Monday and Tuesday evenings so it didn't work out for us to eat there. The gas station directly south of the hotel has an Arby's, and a couple miles to the north there is a Subway, Dairy Queen, and another cafe or two. About 1.5 miles south is a nice Southwest-style restaurant called Gabriel's at which we intended on dining, but never made it there. So, my point is there are plenty of places to eat within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. Plus Santa Fe is only 15-20 minutes.

We experienced excellent service throughout the resort. The one and only service problem we encountered was at Red Sage, but the manager (I forget her name) more than compensated for our disappointing experience (although the food was great). The way she handled the situation was extremely professional and only helped raise my opinion of the hotel and its management. Regarding specific employees, the only name I remember is Guy; he did a superb job of keeping us liquored up at all times by the pool.

Other random tidbits: Contrary to others' opinions, I didn't smell cigarette smoke anywhere in the hotel except in the casino. We almost scheduled time at the spa, but the excessive prices ultimately swayed us to stay by the pool instead. It looked really nice though. Fantastic art is scattered throughout the resort. I posted a picture of the butterfly made out of real butterflies.

The Buffalo Thunder turned out to be a terrific retreat for our family vacation. We did a lot of "adventurous" things (hiking, rafting, etc) so having a home-base outside of Santa Fe, but not too far, worked out really well for us.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gruntlumber,
I was very pleased to read that you "Party Animals" had such a great time during your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room, outdoor pool and all of the restaurants in the hotel and casino. And thank you for pointing out that you experienced excellent service throughout the resort.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Albuquerque
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We paid 120$ for a horrible experience. Bad customer service, unclean bathrooms, uncomfortable beds, horrible buffet and prices that were way over priced. Not worth a vacation stay let alone an anniversary.

Dear Nicole,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was obvious that your anniverary stay was unsatisfactory, however would like to hear more details on how we failed you in so many areas.
I would appreciate your reaching out to me directly to discuss our shortcomings and allow me to try and "Make It Right" for you. I have attached my contact information below.

(505) 819-2000
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed for a week and used it as a base for Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Taos. Price was very reasonable compared to in-town Santa Fe hotels; it's about a 15 minute drive to the plaza.

We arrived on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend to find the hotel severely (and I mean *severely*) overbooked, despite our months-old reservation. Wound up bunking the first night with travel companions, four to a room (luckily, a large room with two queen beds). They comped the first night and dinner and breakfast for all, so we got past that. But they failed to move our luggage as promised, so we wound up schlepping it from one end of the hotel to the other after a long day of sightseeing. Rooms were quiet, fairly spacious and beds comfortable.

I considered the buffet OK for breakfast, mediocre for dinner. They have a couple of cut-rate nights at the buffet if you show a casino card, but it's definitely not worth full price. The steaks (one night) were over-marinated and primer rib (another) just about inedible, but there's enough other stuff to make an acceptable meal.

The front parking lot fills up fast. There's ample additional parking out back. It's not clear the first time how to get into the back of the building, but if you follow the longest concrete walkway you wind up at an unmarked card-keyed door that puts you on the second floor in sight of the lobby area.

Room Tip: The odd-number rooms beginning with 2 and (e.g. 2011) and I think even number rooms beginning with 4...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bill,
It was great hearing from a Senior Contributor of TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I am so sorry that we were unable to accommodate you on the first night of your stay, however pleased that the complimentary room, dinner and breakfast helped to ease the pain. Unfortunately, this does happen on a very rare basis, but no excuses for us not having a room for you. I have passed along your comments regarding the Painted Parrot buffet to our Food & Beverage Director for his follow-up and do apologize for this experience.
Thanks again for your constructive comments and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here a couple of times and wow the rooms are beautiful as well as the pool. The restaurants are outrageously priced. I noticed that they do not give free meal passes like the casinos in Vegas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Michelle,
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was really pleased to hear that we were able to Wow!!! you and your husband on our rooms and pool. I'm surprised that you felt that every one of our seven restaurants was overpriced, however the casino does offer meal coupons similar to what you would see in Las Vegas.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Amarillo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed there for a couple of days on our vacation and we were so pleased with the hotel. It is beautiful and the rooms are so comfortable. We had a room with a patio and that was great! We were able to bring our little dog with us and so it was nice to have the patio access to take our dog for walks. We are also smokers and this is a non-smoking hotel so it was nice to have the patio for smoking. Very convenient. Will definitely stay here again!

Dear Linda,
Thank you for the glowing review regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that you found our resort so pet friendly and that our patios are great for our smoking guests. I also appreciate you letting the readers of TripAdvisor know that you would definitely stay here again!

Hal Leonard

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!