“Wow!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
“Wow!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here a couple of times and wow the rooms are beautiful as well as the pool. The restaurants are outrageously priced. I noticed that they do not give free meal passes like the casinos in Vegas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Michelle,
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was really pleased to hear that we were able to Wow!!! you and your husband on our rooms and pool. I'm surprised that you felt that every one of our seven restaurants was overpriced, however the casino does offer meal coupons similar to what you would see in Las Vegas.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
Amarillo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed there for a couple of days on our vacation and we were so pleased with the hotel. It is beautiful and the rooms are so comfortable. We had a room with a patio and that was great! We were able to bring our little dog with us and so it was nice to have the patio access to take our dog for walks. We are also smokers and this is a non-smoking hotel so it was nice to have the patio for smoking. Very convenient. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Linda,
Thank you for the glowing review regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to hear that you found our resort so pet friendly and that our patios are great for our smoking guests. I also appreciate you letting the readers of TripAdvisor know that you would definitely stay here again!

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Everything about the stay was magnificent! The rooms were great. Only thing missing was a room fridge. The buffet was really good. Very over priced compared to other casinos and they did not give credit for players. Casino was awesome. However, a lot of smokers and not very good ventilation and the smokers had no respect for non smokers. Really nice pool with a hot tub. Col little kids splash park. Very pretty golf course. Didn't play but it looked fun. Resort is a little distance from the city so may want to plan accordingly. Now for the point that caused them to ,is out on that 1 star. After researching online for the best price for the hotel, I found $99 a night. I called them directly and wanted to book and they quoted me $129. I explained that I am looking at it right now and it says $99. The agent said that they cannot honor that and I will have to book online. Not sure why they could not honor the price so instead they had to pay online fees and inconvenience me because we needed 2 rooms that connect and we could not get it through online booking. We settled for rooms across the hall from each other. Other than the phone customer service, would be a 5 star. Would recommend for entertainment and stay!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Jeremy,
Really pleased to hear that everything about your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder was magnificent. Your comments on our great rooms, really good buffet and awesome Casino are very much appreciated. I was disappointed to read that your 5-star experience was marred by our reservationist who was unable to book the special internet rate. I will pass this along to our Reservations Manager for follow-up.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the readers of TripAdvisor.

Dallas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The hotel is an extremely nice hotel - very good accomodations. The casino is aged and shows it. The restaurant (Turquoise Trail) was sub par. The food was poor, ambiance was dated and I would not recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Sid,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased that you felt we have an extremely nice hotel with very good accommodations. It was disturbing to hear that you felt your experience in our casino was poor and that Turquoise Trail was sub-par. I will be passing along your comments to the Casino General Manager for his follow-up. I hope that this experience will not prevent you from returning to Hilton Buffalo Thunder in the near future.
Sincerely

Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We take my mom to the casino's in Sante Fe every year. We stay at the Buffalo Thunder because we just love the rooms and the outdoor pool. If you travel with non gamblers and gamblers, this hotel makes it easy to please both. We have never had a problem there, and the staff has always been friendly.

Room Tip: If you get a players card from the casino you will get special discounts on the rooms in the future
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Sandy,
Thank you for the outstanding review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was nice to read that you loved the rooms and outdoor pool as well as the fact that we are able to please both gaming and non-gaming guests. My favorite comment of yours was that our staff has always been friendly. I appreciate you pointing this out.

Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my second visit, and my second review. In February I had some issues with their housekeeping. The manager responded personally to me, and this trip I noticed a huge difference. The room was cleaned and stocked properly and promptly.

This trip was also my first experience with the outdoor pool, which is really lovely. The lounge chairs are padded and include little drink tables. Staff came around and asked if they could get us drinks. (The pool drinks were pretty weak, but I think that's standard in hotels sadly). The pool did get quite full, so it seems extra lounge chairs on the patio adjacent to the pool would be prudent.

One thing I reviewed last time and several others have commented on is adults-only hours for the pool. I'm honestly shocked at how many people bring their children to a casino, but those same parents seem to deposit their kids at the pool unattended while they gamble. The kiddie factor of the outdoor pool was annoying and surprising for a casino resort, but the indoor pool and hottub are truly un-usable. Right up until close (at midnight!) the hottub is full of screaming children. Adults only from 9 pm on for both pools would really make this property more attractive to young professionals.

I had great prime rib at the Turquoise Trail and a room service breakfast that was prompt and quite good. I used the gym every day and it was not crowded and had above-par equipment for a hotel gym.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Pool Afficianado,
Thank you for returning to Hilton Buffalo Thunder and giving us another opportunity to earn your loyalty. I was very pleased to read that you rated us 5 out of 5 on Value, Sleep Quality, Rooms and Cleanliness.......obviously, Housekeeping performed beautifully, which I will pass on to our team. Your comments on the pool make perfect sense and I plan on meeting with our Senior Team to try and come up with a way to satisfy our young professional guests as well as families with kids. A little tricky, however we will start working on this right away.
Thanks again for choosing us and please feel free to contact me personally prior to your next visit to Santa Fe.

hal.leonard@hilton.com
Okla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our first and probably last stay at the Buffalo Thunder Resort. While the property was nice, the price is just too high. We picked this resort for our last night in Santa Fe based on several people telling us how nice the property is. Upon arrival we were greeted with a less than enthusiastic check in staff. While they weren't completely rude, they weren't welcoming. We thought check in was at 3 but it was at 4. We arrived a little early hoping they would allow us to go ahead and check in. They said room weren't ready yet and to keep checking back. That wasn't an issue because we knew we were early. We got a drink at the bar and waited. In the meantime other people started coming in and were waiting to check in to. I went to check again and overheard the manager talking to one of the check in clerks. She was telling them to just go ahead and let us check in. It sounded like rooms were ready but they were holding them until exactly 4. Now when you are paying that high a price for a room and checkin isn't until 4 and checkout is at a ridiculous 11:00am, you aren't getting much time to enjoy your stay. Again, we knew we were early and wouldn't have a problem with waiting. It just rubbed me the wrong way to hear that comment - or at least the way it was delivered.

Rooms- we had a balcony room with 2 queen beds (they didn't have a king room left). The 2nd floor on this wing cruelly was the ground floor overlooking the courtyard. Having the balcony was a big plus. The bed was very comfortable. The tv was nice. The chair to the desk in the room looked a bit beat up, but it was the only thing. I was hoping the shower would be nicer. The bathroom was pretty, but the door was right up against the tub. The shower curtain looked like a dog had tried to rip it down. The shower head sprayed water everywhere. When we arrived the safe was locked. We called the front desk and within a few minutes the security staff had it unlocked. We were impressed with how quick they were.

Food - The food was okay. We had the buffet on Sunday night. Luckily the offered it at half price with the players card. I would have been a tad disappointed if we had payed full price.

Casino - the casino is pretty nice. They have a lot of different game types. There seems to be a lot of cigar smokers at this casino.

Pool - we didn't get to use the pool. It closed down when we first go there due to an accident. They opened it again later, but we didn't use it. We couldn't find any pool chairs. They had enough space to add quite a few more lounges.

Bar- the small bar that is near check in is convenient. The bartender was a bit gruff but she did her job. The outdoor bar that was next ton the Red Sage restaurant was very nice. We enjoyed a few drinks here while talking to other bar patrons. Te weather was beautiful. The waitress here was very friendly. We also had a snack and some drinks at the restaurant/sports bar (?) down inside the casino. The bartender here was friendly. The food was just like other bar food.

Overall we did have a nice stay. I was just hoping for just a little bit more due to the cost. The price would need to be considerably lower or something would need to be tweaked before we tried it again. Not here are just too many places to stay in Santa Fe.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ilovevegasbaby,
I truly appreciate the review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you had a nice stay, however concerned that there wasn't a perceived value for the price you paid. I would like to speak with you about a return visit, as I believe that we are one of the best values for a Santa Fe resort. Please feel free to contact me personally via email or telephone, if you have the time to discuss this further. Thank you again for your comments.

hal.leonard@hilton.com
(505) 819-2000 (office)

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!