“OK Low Season Getaway for the Family” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Lakewood, Colorado
“OK Low Season Getaway for the Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were looking for a short spring break getaway for the family and settled on Buffalo Thunder after some web searching on Santa Fe. We stayed 3 nights and upgraded our room to a larger Jr. Suite.

We mainly picked the property due to the "resort" aspect as we were looking to spend a good amount of time in the pool (kids 5 and 9) while still having access to the sites of Santa Fe. The website was upfront stating that the outdoor pool, which looks awesome, was closed.

Pulling into the resort the first thing we noticed was that it was RIGHT off the interstate. Something you can't really tell by the web pictures. Our worries were put to rest as our room was in the "spa" wing, which faces a courtyard and other rooms. Traffic noise was not an issue. If you have a room that faces the road (and there are many) I would guess that the balcony would not be very relaxing.

Our Jr. Suite while spacious, was sparsly furnished, with only a single chair and ottoman, not the advertised couch and sitting area. Figuring that we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room we didn't complain, but looking back it would have been nice to have had, or at a minimum the hotel should have disclosed this up-front for us to decide. Had it not been for the missing couch I would recommend the room. It was spacious and you don't feel cramped.

The indoor pool was outstanding! One of the better indoor pools I've been in and the kids had a blast! The outdoor pool looks fund and the kids are already bugging us to come back in the summer.

Free parking was ample and the lobby area was beautiful. There is a casino in the hotel if you're into that. We are not and hardly noticed that it was here as they did a great job of isolating it from the hotel.

One night we ate at the Turquoise Bar and Grill in the Casino as it was late and we didn't want an expense dinner. We got what we paid for. The food was "college cafeteria" quality and, while inexpensive, still wasn't worth it. The other resteraunt, Red Sage, looked nice even though we didn't eat there.

The location was an easy 20 minute drive to downtown Santa Fe and the museums. Not an issue at all, given we were looking for the resort feel as opposed to an in-town hotel.

All in all it was a fun trip and could have garnered an excellent rating had they not shorted us with the room.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms that face the road. Ones that face the courtyard or pool would be quietest...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear FlyingSux,
Thanks for taking the time to share comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It sounds like you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us, however I'm concerned about the fact that your suite was sparsely furnished. I would like to follow up on this immediately, so if you would please share your name and/or room number with me, I would greatly appreciate it. Honestly, I've never heard this concern prior to yours, however will come up with an immediate solution. I was pleased to hear that the kids want to return in the summer, when we will have both pools open as well as having other activities available for them.
If you would please contact me personally prior to your arrival, I will make sure that you receive a suite with plenty of furniture for the entire family.
Thank you again for your outstanding review.

hal.leonard@hilton.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a quick weekend get away. I checked in in the afternoon. The woman that checked me in didn't have a uniform (I think was the manager, didn't read heir name tag) and she was super nice and helpful. Asked if I'd stayed before and told her it was my first time. She explained everything the hotel offered and said to call the desk if we needed anything additional. Again, very very nice and quite frankly, very pretty.
I went to the room and it was great. Comfortable bed, loved the coffee maker and it was very clean. Headed to the casino where I had a great time. That place was great to eat and hang out with my buddies. Had dinner at red sage and again went with the suggestion from the front desk gal and had the pork belly. That was delicious!!!! Great service and good food.
I had a great time and will be back again soon. Can't wait for the pool to open outside and play some golf. Good job!!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Jake,
Really pleased to hear about your FANTASTIC GETAWAY at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It sounds like one of our two Front Office Managers started out your stay on a high note. I don't know which one of the two it was, because they are both pretty, super nice and helpful as you stated! I was also glad to hear that your room had a comfortable bed and was very clean. The outdoor pool will be open in May and the golf course is already in great shape and getting greener every day. Red Sage will also continue to serve the delicious pork belly that you enjoyed along with the great service from our staff.
I look forward to welcoming you and your buddies back to our beautiful resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Castle Rock, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The rooms need updating. We were promissed a balcony room, what we got was a room with a patio that lead straight out to the parking lot. I would have given this property a 1 if it were not for Red Sage.The food was so good. On the other hand, the buffet was the worst food I have ever been presented with. Wilted lettuce on the salad bar, dried out meat sitting under heat lamps. I'm surprised it didn't make us sick! Way to go Hilton!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ron,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to read about your "fantastic" meal at our Red Sage restaurant, and that it partially made up for our shortcomings, specifically with your room and buffet food. I would enjoy speaking with you personally regarding your experience, so please feel free to contact me via email or by phone. I'm confident that should you return to our resort on your next trip to Santa Fe, we will provide an experience that will not only meet, but hopefully exceed your expectations. I look forward to hearing from you.

505-819-2000
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I were excited to have a 4 night vacation here starting 3/24 and checking out 3/28. We took advantage of a promotional offer for 2 nights + were going to pay for 2 nights on our own. Upon making my reservation I opted to upgrade to a "Terrace Suite" which was the most expensive, nicest sounding suite except for a $2600 a night "Governors Suite". The pictures on the website looked great. We were surprised.

Check in as at 4:00 PM. We arrived at 4:30. There was only 1 bell hop available and there were 4 cars waiting to get luggage on a cart. Additionally there was multiple people walking in to check in that parked elsewhere. I entered the hotel to check in. I was informed that our room was not yet ready (we are 30 minutes LATE of the official check in time mind you). The clerk advised that there was another room on the "Spa" wing that we could have if we did not want to wait. I confirmed with the clerk of our upgraded suite, he acknowledged that and we said we did not feel like waiting. He pointed us in the general direction of the elevators, gave us our keys and we were off.

I returned to my vehicle, the bell hop came back a few minutes later and began loading our luggage. I asked about valet. He informed me to just go park it around the corner that all parking was free and I quote "If I valet it for you I will just drive it to right there and park it and it costs $8". I went and parked nearby and we began our trip to our room. The elevators could not be more inconveniently placed for anyone staying on this "Spa" wing. I used the "MapMyWalk" application on my phone and it turns out from the check in desk to the elevators is 0.15 of a mile, and from the elevators to the casino escalators is .20 of a mile. For anyone with health issues or elderly people this has to be a surprise, we did not mind it but it was just inconvenient.

Our first impressions of room 5214 is that it was the smallest suite I had ever been to in my life. The bathroom layout is horrible, it is a long hallway broken into sections. 1 section has a single sink vanity, the next section is a mirror/chair for putting on make up, the shower was a plain jane regular shower/tub combo and finally at the end of the hall is a single toilet for the room. The shower is an embarrassment. The pictures we saw online of the "cheaper" and more "basic" rooms looked to have better amenities then this room. Our excitement quickly turned into us questioning us envisioning staying here that evening more less the rest of our stay.

On the hotels website the description of the "Terrace Balcony" sounded awesome. I was looking to get fresh air out there and read a book. When we first opened the balcony door all we could hear was loud humming. I look over the balcony there is a giant row of industrial air conditioners right there! I wish I could upload the video I took to document the loud humming and clicking these units would alternate making. Also the view from the balcony leaved little to be desired.

Trying to make the best of a depressing situation we ventured into the casino to try and clear our minds. If you are into slot machines I would not recommend this casino. This is not because of winning or losing money, gambling is gambling but because of how old the majority of the machines are. I would say easily 80% of the machines there are at least 3 years old, which when it comes to slot machines is equivalent to dinosaurs! There is no new good exciting cutting edge machines here! If you enjoy "classic" slot titles, then this is the place for you. If you are into new machines do not waste your time. I did not bother getting on the table games, they looked pretty standard and were busy.

We did have a normal/decent free buffet dinner. The venue was pretty busy but nothing to complain about, nothing above standard either.

We returned to our room to relax. I needed to complete some work on my laptop. I had not really thought much of internet access as free wifi is pretty much standard everywhere (McDonalds even). Much to my dismay I found out I had to purchase wifi access at a rate of $3.00 per hour or $9.99 for a 24 hour period of access. Having work I needed done I opted for the hour of wifi. The connection was spotty (3 out of 5 bars sitting on the love seat in the room). I ran a speedtest while I was connected and it maxed out at 1MB/s which is laughable.

During this period we watched the tiny (42") TV's in the room, the "Guide" button never worked on the TV's so you had to flip through channels using the channel button.

There was a filled minibar in the room, we looked at every piece of literature in the room could not find a price guide for it. We called the front desk they sent one up 20 minutes later. $3 was the cheapest item that was for a can of Coca Cola. $11 was the highest price item which was a Jose Cuervo miniature. We decided we would walk to the gift shop as I seen from earlier going to the buffet they had cold drinks.

The gift shop was a typical tourist trap. A lot of overpriced junk trinkets. Now when we walked in I observed a person at the register that remained at the register for about 5-10 minutes before they left making small talk with the workers. This will make sense later. We browsed the entire store, grabbed some cold drinks, bought a cross and another small gift. While we were browsing a gentleman came in to purchase 1 pack of cigarettes, pretty simple right? Well he lingered around for 5-10 minutes at check out also before leaving. When we finally went to check out, I used a Discover card. The point of sale system they had for cards was one of the ancient dial up card swipers. After around 10 minutes and 3 attempts of the machine getting "connection failed" (I have all 3 failed receipts) I asked if we could just get the items charged to the room. She informed me she would try to figure out how to do it. I offered if they needed my room key to be swiped or something for the charge. When I offered this, the second salesperson working there commented "Oh my I would not do that if I were you". I inquired as to why, and I was told "You never know she could be a bad person". This second salesperson seemed to be under the impression I was meaning to give my room key as collateral, and that it was a possibility the original sales person would go to our room and rob us or the such. Why would employees ever even suggest anything negative like this to a guest. We provided my last name and room number and that was sufficient enough to get it charged to the room. I would imagine it would of been easy to give a different room number and made up name and another poor guest would be stuck with a charge, very disappointing experience in that gift shop.

At this point we decided we wanted to get the hell out of this hotel. I did not feel like driving back home to Albuquerque though and wanted to do it the next day. On the way back to the room I stopped at the check in desk, explained we were supposed to stay 4 nights but that we wanted to check out the following morning instead. The clerk did not even bat an eye, made a couple of clicks and said "Ok you are set to check out tomorrow". Not even an inquiry as to why or if anything was wrong.

We slept and took it easy in the morning. We had a knock on the door at 9AM. It was housekeeping and they said "You are checking out today are you ready to check out we want to clean the room". What the hell? Check is out 11AM. After this happened we packed quickly and got the hell out of this hotel.

My only charges for the stay were my wifi and the gift shop purchase. We still had 1 night that would be totally free. It says a lot about your hotel if someone does not even want to stay there for free!

We will never be returning to Buffalo Thunder for any reason. Thank you for ruining our plans of relaxation and enjoyment!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear James,
Thank you for taking the time to review your March visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder and please forgive my delayed response to your comments. I am truly sorry that we failed to meet your expectations for a relaxing weekend and have shared your experience with all of my department heads. As you can see from the majority of reviews on our resort, we usually succeed in providing outstanding accommodations and customer service to our guests. In your case, we obviously failed.
If you ever change your mind about a return visit, I hope that you will contact me personally, as I would like to have the opportunity of changing your opinion of our property.

505-819-2000
Peyton, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the second time we stayed at Buffalo Thunder on our way to spring training in Arizona. The resort has beautiful rooms with balconies that we love, but this time it was hard to find places to eat that were reasonable in price. Most of the resort closed down after 8:00 pm, probably because of the time of year. The reservation staff was not accommodating, acting as if they could care less if we stayed or not. The smoke-free casino upstairs is very nice, but it also closes earlier than expected.

This would probably be a better vacation resort in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony -- it is worth it!
Dear Darrell and Lin,
Thank you for choosing Hilton Buffalo Thunder for the second time, as well as sharing your praises on our "nice resort" with beautiful rooms. I also want to thank you for rating Cleanliness, Service and Rooms in our resort all 5's.......it was great to hear that these three areas received such high ratings, which is what we strive for on a daily basis. I want to apologize for not having Mica restaurant open for dinner during your stay, however wanted you to know that the Red Sage Lounge offers lite fare such as burgers, salads and appetizers priced from $9 nightly. There are also two reasonably priced restaurants available on the casino level, Turquoise Trail and the Pueblo Deli, which are both open until 10pm nightly. These options should have been brought to your attention, which I would like to apologize for.
Thank you again for choosing Hilton Buffalo Thunder as your overnight stop on the way to Spring Training. We look forward to hosting you again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My family and I were there for a 3 day conference. Upon check in, a worker was on the phone with one of her friends laughing and giggling as I stood there waiting for her to notice me.... Then, she finally saw me and try to pretend she was talking business. Her jacket was covered in pet hair and looked very un presentable. She was not friendly and seemed annoyed that I had interrupted her conversation. So finally my family and I got checked in, and we noticed the bathroom hadn't been moped nor the floor vacuumed. The room smelled musty and rancid.
My family and I were so tired we called it an early night and tried to go to sleep. That didn't last long..... Our bed was very uncomfortable and the smell in the room made it impossible to get a good nights rest.
The Internet in that Place is beyond ridiculous!!! Nothing worked for our presentations; and a lot of the speakers were aggravated and disappointed. And yes this lovely resort charges for Internet!!! $9.99 a day... It never worked in our room... So frustrating!! With such a beautiful looking hotel you would think they could catch up from the stone ages!
We went down to the casino to sign up for a players card. We were told to take our cards and put them in a machine to see what we would win in free play. Well, my spouse won $20.00 and I won $50.00. We came back the next day to use our free play money, and when we tried to use it the balance was $0 ... No money? We went to the players club; and Rude and unprofessional must be on their application for hiring there.... This young girl told us, "I'm sorry, you needed to use them within the same night!" My spouse and I looked at each-other and said... Huh?? No one told us that upon signing up? She said well you should have known! She was very unprofessional and Rude!
Every meal that was served to us at the conference was Horrid! The plates were cold and the food looked like it had been sitting there for hours. Very, very, disappointing. Then we went to the buffet they had there in the hotel hoping for better results... Huge, huge, mistake... The food was the same. it looked like it had been sitting there for hours...After eating at this establishment for three days, I got food poising... I was sick all night the last night we were there. My poor family felt sick and tired. I talked to the front desk manager who was as warm as a dead fish, and had such an awful attitude, I told her my concerns upon checkout, and all she told me with her pompous attitude that "IT TAKES 6 hours to get FOOD POISONING!" Is she kidding me??? I told her my family and I had been there for three days and have eaten every meal there!!!! Not apologetic in any way. Her eyes were ice cold and her demeanor was beyond RUDE!!!
I will never ever stay at this resort again. I don't know how Hilton can be affiliated with such a resort....)); it gives HILTON STANDARDS A BAD NAME!
THE ONLY THING GREAT ABOUT THIS HOTEL WAS THE AMAZING BELL LADY NAMED BERNADETTE! SHE WAS PROFESSIONAL, BEAUTIFUL CHARM AND MADE US FEEL AMAZING AND WELCOMED.
Take my advice... Don't waste your money and time booking here... It will be the biggest mistake of your vacation getaway....));

• Stayed March 2013
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Lovelyones,
I was truly disappointed to read about your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder this past weekend. I'm sorry that I didn't hear earlier about the problems that you experienced, however did hear about them from five members of our leadership team that you spoke with throughout your three day stay. I was aware of the fact that your bed was uncomfortable and that you were upgraded to a suite for the remainder of your conference. We did check this room and found no evidence of a problem with the mattress, however I was glad that we were able to upgrade your accommodations. I also became aware of your concern with your banquet meals that you discussed with our Banquet Manager, who offered an alternative for you, in addition to sending an amenity with an apology to your room. Regarding your mention of food poisoning, I can assure you that this is the first time I have heard this concern, as we take food handling very seriously throughout our property and had no other complaints during our sold-out weekend.
I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for the outstanding comments on Bernadette, who you described as professional, beautiful, charming and made you feel welcome. As I said earlier, I am truly sorry about the problems that you encountered, as our entire staff takes great pride in the service that we provide our guests on a daily basis.

pueblo, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the Buffalo Thunder on our way home from Arizona. It's a very beautiful resort and the rooms are very well done. We had a 2nd floor room it was very clean, south west decor was nice and the beds comfortable. The bed was great with a lot of pillows. We only had one minor concern we had reserved a single king bed, when checked in (it was late, after 10 pm) there were no kings available and we were given a room with 2 queens, a very minor problem. Although the casino is attached to the Hotel we didn't notice the strong smell of smoke we had experienced at other hotel/casinos. This was our 2nd visit to the Buffalo Thunder and will not be our last. We're planning a golf and stay weekend later in the spring.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thanks for sharing comments regarding your short stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Glad to see that your room was clean, with a great bed as well as the fact that our hotel is smoke-free. When you decide on dates for your golf weekend, please contact me personally and I will be pleased to handle your reservations. I'll also make sure that you are introduced to Linda Howell, our Director of Golf for our spectacular 27-hole championship golf course.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you back to our beautiful resort.

hal.leonard@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!