“Nice resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Peyton, CO
“Nice resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the second time we stayed at Buffalo Thunder on our way to spring training in Arizona. The resort has beautiful rooms with balconies that we love, but this time it was hard to find places to eat that were reasonable in price. Most of the resort closed down after 8:00 pm, probably because of the time of year. The reservation staff was not accommodating, acting as if they could care less if we stayed or not. The smoke-free casino upstairs is very nice, but it also closes earlier than expected.

This would probably be a better vacation resort in the summer.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony -- it is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Darrell and Lin,
Thank you for choosing Hilton Buffalo Thunder for the second time, as well as sharing your praises on our "nice resort" with beautiful rooms. I also want to thank you for rating Cleanliness, Service and Rooms in our resort all 5's.......it was great to hear that these three areas received such high ratings, which is what we strive for on a daily basis. I want to apologize for not having Mica restaurant open for dinner during your stay, however wanted you to know that the Red Sage Lounge offers lite fare such as burgers, salads and appetizers priced from $9 nightly. There are also two reasonably priced restaurants available on the casino level, Turquoise Trail and the Pueblo Deli, which are both open until 10pm nightly. These options should have been brought to your attention, which I would like to apologize for.
Thank you again for choosing Hilton Buffalo Thunder as your overnight stop on the way to Spring Training. We look forward to hosting you again.

996 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

My family and I were there for a 3 day conference. Upon check in, a worker was on the phone with one of her friends laughing and giggling as I stood there waiting for her to notice me.... Then, she finally saw me and try to pretend she was talking business. Her jacket was covered in pet hair and looked very un presentable. She was not friendly and seemed annoyed that I had interrupted her conversation. So finally my family and I got checked in, and we noticed the bathroom hadn't been moped nor the floor vacuumed. The room smelled musty and rancid.
My family and I were so tired we called it an early night and tried to go to sleep. That didn't last long..... Our bed was very uncomfortable and the smell in the room made it impossible to get a good nights rest.
The Internet in that Place is beyond ridiculous!!! Nothing worked for our presentations; and a lot of the speakers were aggravated and disappointed. And yes this lovely resort charges for Internet!!! $9.99 a day... It never worked in our room... So frustrating!! With such a beautiful looking hotel you would think they could catch up from the stone ages!
We went down to the casino to sign up for a players card. We were told to take our cards and put them in a machine to see what we would win in free play. Well, my spouse won $20.00 and I won $50.00. We came back the next day to use our free play money, and when we tried to use it the balance was $0 ... No money? We went to the players club; and Rude and unprofessional must be on their application for hiring there.... This young girl told us, "I'm sorry, you needed to use them within the same night!" My spouse and I looked at each-other and said... Huh?? No one told us that upon signing up? She said well you should have known! She was very unprofessional and Rude!
Every meal that was served to us at the conference was Horrid! The plates were cold and the food looked like it had been sitting there for hours. Very, very, disappointing. Then we went to the buffet they had there in the hotel hoping for better results... Huge, huge, mistake... The food was the same. it looked like it had been sitting there for hours...After eating at this establishment for three days, I got food poising... I was sick all night the last night we were there. My poor family felt sick and tired. I talked to the front desk manager who was as warm as a dead fish, and had such an awful attitude, I told her my concerns upon checkout, and all she told me with her pompous attitude that "IT TAKES 6 hours to get FOOD POISONING!" Is she kidding me??? I told her my family and I had been there for three days and have eaten every meal there!!!! Not apologetic in any way. Her eyes were ice cold and her demeanor was beyond RUDE!!!
I will never ever stay at this resort again. I don't know how Hilton can be affiliated with such a resort....)); it gives HILTON STANDARDS A BAD NAME!
THE ONLY THING GREAT ABOUT THIS HOTEL WAS THE AMAZING BELL LADY NAMED BERNADETTE! SHE WAS PROFESSIONAL, BEAUTIFUL CHARM AND MADE US FEEL AMAZING AND WELCOMED.
Take my advice... Don't waste your money and time booking here... It will be the biggest mistake of your vacation getaway....));

• Stayed March 2013
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Lovelyones,
I was truly disappointed to read about your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder this past weekend. I'm sorry that I didn't hear earlier about the problems that you experienced, however did hear about them from five members of our leadership team that you spoke with throughout your three day stay. I was aware of the fact that your bed was uncomfortable and that you were upgraded to a suite for the remainder of your conference. We did check this room and found no evidence of a problem with the mattress, however I was glad that we were able to upgrade your accommodations. I also became aware of your concern with your banquet meals that you discussed with our Banquet Manager, who offered an alternative for you, in addition to sending an amenity with an apology to your room. Regarding your mention of food poisoning, I can assure you that this is the first time I have heard this concern, as we take food handling very seriously throughout our property and had no other complaints during our sold-out weekend.
I would be remiss if I didn't thank you for the outstanding comments on Bernadette, who you described as professional, beautiful, charming and made you feel welcome. As I said earlier, I am truly sorry about the problems that you encountered, as our entire staff takes great pride in the service that we provide our guests on a daily basis.

pueblo, Co
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I spent one night at the Buffalo Thunder on our way home from Arizona. It's a very beautiful resort and the rooms are very well done. We had a 2nd floor room it was very clean, south west decor was nice and the beds comfortable. The bed was great with a lot of pillows. We only had one minor concern we had reserved a single king bed, when checked in (it was late, after 10 pm) there were no kings available and we were given a room with 2 queens, a very minor problem. Although the casino is attached to the Hotel we didn't notice the strong smell of smoke we had experienced at other hotel/casinos. This was our 2nd visit to the Buffalo Thunder and will not be our last. We're planning a golf and stay weekend later in the spring.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thanks for sharing comments regarding your short stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Glad to see that your room was clean, with a great bed as well as the fact that our hotel is smoke-free. When you decide on dates for your golf weekend, please contact me personally and I will be pleased to handle your reservations. I'll also make sure that you are introduced to Linda Howell, our Director of Golf for our spectacular 27-hole championship golf course.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you back to our beautiful resort.

hal.leonard@hilton.com
Monroeville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We visited off-season, so the hotel and casino were quiet. The only restaurants open for dinner were the pricey, dressy Red Sage and the Turquoise Trail in the casino. We opted for the TT and we were pleasantly surprised. The food was excellent and the service was fast and friendly. The fireplace in our room was wonderful. I could have stayed a lot longer than two days! It did not appear that the Spa was open, but we are not "spa people" so that didn't matter. The buffet restaurant was closed and breakfast offerings were Starbucks and the Mica which also had good food and good service. Overall very impressed with this hotel and the very reasonable cost.

Dear robNrom,
Thank you for taking the time to share comments on your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Next time, may I suggest that you stay longer and enjoy all of the other amenities of our beautiful resort. Although you stated that you're not Spa people, I can assure you that our year-round World-class Spa will change your opinion.....and I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed our casino's Turquoise Trail restaurant and well as Mica that provided you with "good food and good service". I can assure you that these outstanding comments will be shared with our entire team of service professionals.
We hope to see you again soon.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I called the concierge before getting in and they were great. They arranged transportation from the airport in Santa Fe. The property is just beautiful, The art and decor is amazingly warm and festive. We felt at home. The spa and spa staff was wonderful and very accommodating. The Bell Staff was just as great. Try the Thai massage you'll love it. Steven was very very helpful in getting us a nice room and an upgrade. Breakfast was great at the Mecca and the staff was nice. Red Sage is a beautiful restaurants nice ambiance, great staff. This hotel is fabulous and I would recommend it to couples and family alike.

Dear Joy,
And I have to give you a WOW for the awesome review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder! I was really pleased to read that our Concierge staff was great even before you stepped into our hotel and that our beautiful collection of Native American art was so amazing. Thank you as well for sharing your remarks on our Spa staff, Bell staff, as well as the staffs of our two restaurants, Red Sage and Mica. Hearing that our hotel is fabulous for both couples and families, truly made my day. I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.

dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that we'd have to wait two hours (4pm) to check in because the hotel was fully booked for spring break. Since my husband is a Hilton gold member we were told that we'd be at the top of the list for the room to get cleaned. Well 4pm came and went and at 5:30p we were told our room was ready. Had a bellman help us to the room and when we got all unloaded, realized it wasn't the room we were promised. So, had to call down, get a new bellman and get switched. Of course the new room was on the other side of the hotel. Didn't get settled into our room until 6:30p...over two-hours after we were "guaranteed" to be in our room. After my husband called down to the front desk to complain the hotel sent a nice kid treat tray to our room which the kiddos really enjoyed. My daughter and I tried out the spa and since she is under 16 she just did a pedicure while I got a massage. The massage was nice but must admit that I've had better and even found a few bruises the next day on my arm from the woman pressing too hard. Then I found out that my daughter's pedicure was supposed to be 55 minutes but she was done much sooner and her nails looked awful. Definitely feel the woman rushed her and took advantage of my daughter being so young. Also, on the second day, we arrived back to our hotel room around 5pm and it hadn't been cleaned yet. We called to talk to a manager since the bad experiences were really adding up and were told that we had a dog in the room so that's why they didn't clean. We'd brought our kennel for our dog so there was no reason for them not to clean. To make up for it we got two additional breakfast buffet vouchers for every day of our stay which was nice. Our first night we were pretty tired from the long drive so ate dinner at the hotel buffet and do NOT recommend it. The breakfast buffet is great but the dinner buffet was terrible. The kids didn't even get won over by the desserts. Finally to the good stuff...the room was a jr. suite and really nice with a large balcony, fire place, large bathroom and comfy beds. The view was beautiful with the snow capped mountains in the background. We went on a few hikes behind the hotel which were fun for the whole family. We also enjoyed the indoor pool/hot tub every day we were there, it was kept clean and was especially nice after a fun-filled day of skiing. The hotel is a bit outside of Santa Fe but we felt it was worth it considering they allowed dogs, had hiking areas right behind the hotel, nice room and heated indoor pool/hot tub that we all enjoyed during our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear mediagirldallas,
Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder and that overall, you and your family had a nice stay. I was disappointed to hear about the several hiccups that you experienced with our Houskeeping Department, nail salon and breakfast buffet. In my book, these were not hiccups, but a serious breakdown in service that I want to sincerely apologize for. I would appreciate you contacting me directly by email or telephone as I would like to find out exactly what prevented us from providing outstanding service during your stay, and will need your name in order to immediately look into these problems.
Thank you again for sharing these positive and negative remarks on your visit.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is beyond beautiful and spa was amazing. However was disappointed in the hotel staff. Found old crackers, crumbs and a used syringe in our room. Also requested robes and had to call three times within three hours to find out they hadn't even put in the request yet.

Otherwise would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The junior suite is totally worth the extra couple bucks per night!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear kyranasorus rex,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to hear that the "hotel is beyond beautiful and the spa was amazing". I was however disappointed to hear that your room was not cleaned properly and that robes took three hours for delivery. I can assure you that these issues are not typical of the high standards that our Housekeeping Department takes pride in delivering our valued guests. If you wouldn't mind contacting me directly via email, I would like to discuss with you our follow-up on your concerns.
Thank you again for sharing your comments, specifically that our hotel is lovely and services are wonderful.

hal.leonard@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!