“Several hiccups, but overall a nice stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
dallas
“Several hiccups, but overall a nice stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel we were told that we'd have to wait two hours (4pm) to check in because the hotel was fully booked for spring break. Since my husband is a Hilton gold member we were told that we'd be at the top of the list for the room to get cleaned. Well 4pm came and went and at 5:30p we were told our room was ready. Had a bellman help us to the room and when we got all unloaded, realized it wasn't the room we were promised. So, had to call down, get a new bellman and get switched. Of course the new room was on the other side of the hotel. Didn't get settled into our room until 6:30p...over two-hours after we were "guaranteed" to be in our room. After my husband called down to the front desk to complain the hotel sent a nice kid treat tray to our room which the kiddos really enjoyed. My daughter and I tried out the spa and since she is under 16 she just did a pedicure while I got a massage. The massage was nice but must admit that I've had better and even found a few bruises the next day on my arm from the woman pressing too hard. Then I found out that my daughter's pedicure was supposed to be 55 minutes but she was done much sooner and her nails looked awful. Definitely feel the woman rushed her and took advantage of my daughter being so young. Also, on the second day, we arrived back to our hotel room around 5pm and it hadn't been cleaned yet. We called to talk to a manager since the bad experiences were really adding up and were told that we had a dog in the room so that's why they didn't clean. We'd brought our kennel for our dog so there was no reason for them not to clean. To make up for it we got two additional breakfast buffet vouchers for every day of our stay which was nice. Our first night we were pretty tired from the long drive so ate dinner at the hotel buffet and do NOT recommend it. The breakfast buffet is great but the dinner buffet was terrible. The kids didn't even get won over by the desserts. Finally to the good stuff...the room was a jr. suite and really nice with a large balcony, fire place, large bathroom and comfy beds. The view was beautiful with the snow capped mountains in the background. We went on a few hikes behind the hotel which were fun for the whole family. We also enjoyed the indoor pool/hot tub every day we were there, it was kept clean and was especially nice after a fun-filled day of skiing. The hotel is a bit outside of Santa Fe but we felt it was worth it considering they allowed dogs, had hiking areas right behind the hotel, nice room and heated indoor pool/hot tub that we all enjoyed during our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear mediagirldallas,
Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder and that overall, you and your family had a nice stay. I was disappointed to hear about the several hiccups that you experienced with our Houskeeping Department, nail salon and breakfast buffet. In my book, these were not hiccups, but a serious breakdown in service that I want to sincerely apologize for. I would appreciate you contacting me directly by email or telephone as I would like to find out exactly what prevented us from providing outstanding service during your stay, and will need your name in order to immediately look into these problems.
Thank you again for sharing these positive and negative remarks on your visit.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Turkish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is beyond beautiful and spa was amazing. However was disappointed in the hotel staff. Found old crackers, crumbs and a used syringe in our room. Also requested robes and had to call three times within three hours to find out they hadn't even put in the request yet.

Otherwise would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The junior suite is totally worth the extra couple bucks per night!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear kyranasorus rex,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to hear that the "hotel is beyond beautiful and the spa was amazing". I was however disappointed to hear that your room was not cleaned properly and that robes took three hours for delivery. I can assure you that these issues are not typical of the high standards that our Housekeeping Department takes pride in delivering our valued guests. If you wouldn't mind contacting me directly via email, I would like to discuss with you our follow-up on your concerns.
Thank you again for sharing your comments, specifically that our hotel is lovely and services are wonderful.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights over Spring Break. Our room was very spacious and clean, and had a very large bathroom. We were in a King Jr. Suite. The hotel is very nicely decorated and very large. Overall we had a great stay and would definitely recommend this property!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brandi,
I am so pleased to read that your 4 nights at Hilton Buffalo Thunder resulted in a "Great Stay". Your choice of a King Jr. Suite was obviously a good one, since you found it spacious, clean and very large. Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments, as well as recommending our spectacular resort to your friends, family and TripAdvisor readers.
We hope to see you again soon!

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel was fabulous. We had a room with a balcony and fireplace. Great amenities and good place for teens and parents! Casino is downstairs so theres no smoke or noise where the rooms are. Fabulous weekend!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear benson 1021,
Wow! I can't tell you how pleased I am to read your wonderful comments on your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I have passed along your glowing remarks about your "fabulous weekend" to our entire staff, as they are the ones that truly make for a memorable stay at our beautiful resort.
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Santa Fe.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Worst Hilton ever!
Arrived early to a stressed out, inexperienced young front desk person. She told us we could not check in early and had to wait until 4p. The hotel seemed empty. Asked for a hotel brochure to see how I could kill 3 hours and she just apologised that she did not have one and continued about her business on the computer.
That night I asked for room service for my daughter and I. After an hour and a half I got a charred, shrunk burger and a pizza that tasted like it came out of a box. All this for $40!!
I left the tray outside my room as per the instructions and there it remained 18 hours later.
My room was made up and somehow a candy wrapper, an empty soda can and a used glass with melted ice and coca cola escaped the cleaning person.
The arcade for children seemed to fit that of inmates. Broken and tired machines that seemed to be from last century.

I asked for a 12 o'clock check out instead of 11 and was told they had too many guests and the latest I could check out would be 11:30. Really? 30 mins made a difference I guess.

Overall the place seemed like it needs better management and customer service.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Fotorat,
Thank you for taking the time to share your disappointment regarding your recent trip to Hilton Buffalo Thunder with your daughter. Based on your very candid comments, it appears that we totally failed to provide the outstanding service that we take pride in providing every guest of our beautiful resort.
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your stay, in order to somehow make up for the shortcomings that you experienced. Please feel free to contact me personally by phone or email as I plan on fully researching the root causes for the problems that you experienced.

hal.leonard
505-819-2000
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Loved this place. It was a reward stay but I would pay for it. Casino and family hotel all in one. Had bad service at breakfast on morning on a weekend day, but they were very busy. Would go back if in the area.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. It was great to hear that you loved our resort and that you will be returning the next time you visit the spectacular Santa Fe area. If I may ever be of personal service to you, please don't hestiate to contact me.

Dallas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I paid for the room with breakfast and wifi. Both breakfast and wifi were a joke! The wifi get disconnected every few minutes... I eventually just gave up. You can get better breakfast at Denny's or McDonald. This place is not a resort, more like hell hole!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BenGoh,
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your candid comments regarding your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I can certainly understand your concerns with the weak wifi, as this is something that we occasionally have problems with. I'm not sure where in the hotel you experienced problems, however we do offer complimentary high-speed wireless in our Business Center, which also includes complimentary use of our two Apple Computers and two Microsoft-based desktops. I'm also not certain where you had breakfast, so please contact me personally via phone or email as I would like to hear more specifics on your experience.

505-819-2000

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!