“Very nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #25 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Seattle, Washington
“Very nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent two nights at the Buffalo Thunder for a meeting. The whole experience was very good, our room was spacious, reasonably priced, & very clean. The staff was very attentive and the meals were well prepared.
My wife and I would stay here any time we are in the Santa Fe area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Robert,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I always enjoy hearing that "the whole experience was very good" with a "spacious, reasonably priced and clean room", our "staff very attentive" and "meals well prepared".......all of the things that we strive for in providing an outsanding guest experience. I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to our beautiful resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.

958 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Silver City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at Buffalo Thunder on several occasions. The hotel is clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. The view from the balcony is very relaxing. We enjoy sitting out there enjoying the scenery and peace and quiet after driving several hours. We have never been disappointed here.

Dear Joyce,
I was so pleased to hear that you and your husband are frequent visitors to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I suppose that it might have something to do with the fact that " the hotel is clean and the staff friendly and helpful"! I'm always happy to hear that we have never disappointed you and please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to Santa Fe..... I would enjoy meeting you both.
All the Best

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I've reviewed this place before - and my husband and I just visited again hoping for a nice weekend away. While it was nice to get away for the weekend we were once again disappointed in the resort. Prices on rooms have gone up. Buffet prices have also increased and there was less to choose from on the buffet - and the quality (taste) has decreased as well. The casino table games consisted of 90% blackjack - again no variety. The Spa is becoming run down and not as clean as it once was. We both agreed that we will be looking elsewhere for our quarterly getaways.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear luv2trec,
Thank you for taking the time to review your second visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was sorry to read that we again disappointed you in several areas of the resort. I would like to discuss the specifics of your stay with you, so please feel free to give me a call or send me an email, as I hate to hear that we failed to live up to your expectations a second time.
As you can see from the majority of comments posted on TripAdvisor, your experience was not in any way typical of the service that we take pride in providing our guests.
I look forward to hearing from you.

505-819-2000
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Hotel is beautiful and very clean. Staff is welcoming and friendly. There is plenty to do with 3 pools, casinos, and restaurants on site. The hotel is family friendly. Restaurants on location were not great but are convenient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear MD,
Thank you for the wonderful review on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Your comments stating that the "hotel is beautiful and very clean", our staff 'welcoming and friendly" and that there is "plenty to do" for families at our resort, were great to hear. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Santa Fe.
Sincerely

Latrobe, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Buffalo Thunder for four nights. The hotel was all that I could have hoped for. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We had a King Fireplace suite with a balcony. The room was very comfortable and clean. Housekeeping did a wonderful job cleaning every day and left extra towels when we requested them. We ate breakfast at the Painted Parrot and Mica restaurants and were very happy, although we preferred the weekend buffet at the Parrot over ordering off the menu at Mica during the week. The casino was a lot of fun. I picked up some last minute gifts for family at the gift shop and was so impressed with the selection and quality of the merchandise.

The only suggestion I would make is to have WiFi free to all guests, not charge for WiFi in the rooms. Although it is free in the lobby and business center, it would have been much more convenient to connect in our room. We have stayed in many hotels, some that were less expensive, that offered free wireless internet.

All in all, the Hilton Buffalo Thunder is absolutely amazing. It is about a 20 minute drive into the city of Santa Fe, but the drive is beautiful. We would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a King Fireplace Room with a Balcony - well worth it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear MomOnVaca,
Thank you for taking the time to send TripAdvisor such a glowing review on your "Absolutely Amazing!!!" four-night stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I truly appreciate your wonderful comments and that our "staff was very welcoming and helpful" and "Housekeeping did a wonderful job cleaning every day". Our Food & Beverage team was pleased to read that you were very happy with your breakfasts in both Painted Parrot and Mica.
Most of all, it was great to hear that you and your husband "would definitely stay again", so thank you again for your thoughtful comments.
All the Best

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I just thought everything was great. However, I didn't win in the casino, others were winning. I still walked away feeling I got my moneys worth. The buffets were very good for the price also. I am going to make it a routine to go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for listing us as "One of the Best!" in describing your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Sorry to hear that "others were winning in the casino", which may be you on your next visit, however was glad that you "still walked away feeling...you got your money's worth" and that the "buffets were very good". The best part was hearing that you're "going to make it a routine to go back" and we look forward to your next visit.
Thanks again for the positive remarks as well as the 5-bubble rating.

Grand Junction, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I drove down from Colorado for a three day weekend, whereas we usually go to Nevada for pool time and gambling. The room was beautiful- nice shower, comfortable bed, classy decor, balcony. This was a nice surprise, as we spent more time in the room enjoying a cocktail than anticipated. (I did not know the casino was going to be dry!) Only ate at Mica and Turquoise, but were both quite good. The sports bar had a great ambiance.

Cons: the WORST housekeeping I've ever experienced, anywhere, let alone a nice hotel! We checked in Saturday morning and the previous guest's half-eaten room service dinner was outside our door. It was STILL there on Monday. I had ordered up 2 additional bath towels (to make total of 4) and two bathrobes. When housekeeping finally cleaned the room on Sunday (at 5:00 p.m.!) they took the bathrobes (??) and only replaced two towels. They did not restock any coffee or tea or toiletries, so I discovered mid-shower on Monday I had no shampoo. Finally, the grand staircase in the lobby had a bloody band-aid in the middle for our entire stay.

Other major con: I picked the location for the indoor pool. (Outdoor one looks beautiful, but is closed in February of course). What looks online like a lovely place to read a magazine or bubble in the hot-tub is a zoo of wild children. The hotel really needs to implement an adults only time, i.e. from 10 to midnight. Even at 11:30 p.m. it was full of roughhousing teenagers and screaming young children.

Dear Pool Afficianado,
Thank you for sharing your comments with the readers of TripAdvisor on your recent weekend visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased that you had such great comments on our rooms and that yours was "beautiful-nice shower, comfortable bed, classy decor and balcony". It was also nice to hear that you enjoyed our restaurants and that "Mica and Turquoise Trail were both quite good" and that " the Sports Bar had a great ambiance".
What disappointed me (as well as our Executive Houskeeper) was the fact that we totally let you down in regards to your housekeeping service. Absolutely no excuse for us not replacing the towels, robes and amenities in your room on a daily basis. I can assure you that this is in no way typical of the service that we take pride in providing our guests. I would appreciate you contacting me directly by phone or email, as I would like to discuss these issues with you personally as soon as possible.
Thank you again for your positive comments as well as your candid remarks on areas where we need to improve.
Sincerely

505-819-2000
hal.leonard@hilton.com

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!