“Second Time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Second Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was in Santa Fe on 1/28/2013, and I must say I love this property the front desk was very friendly. This was my second time coming to Santa Fe for a ski trip and have yet to enjoy myself ski Santa Fe is just twenty minutes away and Taos ski valley was a ill over an hour away, we had dinner in Santa Fe every night and the ten min drive is very easy. The casino is one of the largest in the area and its away from any family friendly activities, so you don't really worry about kids and casino. Truly a great place to stay.

Room Tip: The upgrade to a junior suite is well worth it, for the balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Gus,
Thank you for taking the time to review your return visit to Santa Fe at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Really great to hear that you "love this property" and that the "front desk staff was very friendly". I was pleased to read that you found the local ski areas so accessible along with the various restaurants in Santa Fe. I look foward to welcoming you back for your Third Visit sometime soon.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Turkish first
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Two big thumbs up to Hal Leonard, General Manager of the Hilton at Buffalo Thunder and his wonderful staff. From the moment we walked through the front door we felt quite at home. No detail of our stay was overlooked. Having spent many a night in Hilton properties, this was a cut above the rest. The beautiful hotel, in the theme of the local Indian pueblo's, though full for the three day weekend, never felt crowded at all. The extensive Indian art on display in the hotel frankly is very beautiful.
Though we don't remember his name (sorry), kudos go to the gentleman making omelettes in the the Painted Parrot Buffet. He was happy every morning, and was proud to say he had been making omelettes for five years. Trust me, he certainly did know how to.....
Though the hotel is a few short miles north of Santa Fe, it is uniquely located close to the Santa Fe Opera, historical Santa Fe, as well as Los Alamos and Taos,

Again, thanks to Hal and his staff for a wonderful weekend....

Jim & Leslie

Dear Jim and Leslie,
Thanks for the "big thumbs up" to our "wonderful staff. I was so pleased to hear how much you both enjoyed Hilton Buffalo Thunder over President's Day Weekend. I will also pass along your "kudos to the gentleman making omelettes in Painted Parrot" and I'm thrilled that as a loyal Hilton Honors Diamond member, your first stay with us was so enjoyable. Please make sure to let me know when your travel plans bring you back to Santa Fe.

Hal
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I decided to take a midweek mini vacation, choosing Buffalo Thunder as it is only an hour away from Albuquerque where we live. The resort is just lovely. Our room had a kiva fireplace & hand carved New Mexican style furniture. The staff is very pleasant here. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub and even won enough in the casino to pay for our stay! You can't do better than that!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor, which was very quiet and chose a room with a kiva fireplace. It was ver...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Aleta,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your "Thundering Good Time" at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. You must be in advertising, as I love the tag line! Although I can't promise that you'll always "win enough to pay for your stay", I can promise you that our "staff will be pleasant" and that our rooms, pool and spa will continue to be as memorable as you have described.
Thanks again for the Thunderously great review!
Hal
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Upon Arriving at BTR on 02/09/2013, I was greeted by the best FRONT DESK STAFF EVER!!! The Front Desk Clerk allowed us to check in early, which was Nice and I was even given an Upgrade which was Appreciated since My Boyfriend and I were there to celebrate his Birthday. I was pleased to see how well the Front Office Manager, I believe her Name was Dawn Osborn, interacted with her staff. She had a Smile on her face and they were all Very Helpful and willing to accommodate us in any way they could. Ms. Osborn helped me sign up for a Players Card and we were well on our way to a weekend of FUN!!! The room was GORGEOUS and the pillows were like sleeping on a cloud!!! Fireplace, Balcony, more than I expected!!! We were Very Pleased. I was especially Grateful that the front desk clerk was able to find me a Wine Bottle opener, since I had forgotten to place one in our overnight bag. All I can say is that I will DEFINITELY be spending many more weekends at BTR and will recommend my friends and family to visit as well. What a AWESOME Birthday weekend it was!!! Thank you BTR and your WONDERFUL FRONT DESK STAFF, Dawn Osborn, THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Wow! What a fantastic review of your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Hearing that you were greeted by "THE BEST FRONT DESK EVER!! was music to my ears and I completely agree with your assessment. I should have let Dawn Osborn respond to your praises on she and the staff, however Dawn is way too modest regarding her talents and would have diverted the praise to her teammates. The best part was reading that you "will DEFINITELY be spending many more weekends at BTR" and that you "will recommend to my friends and family to visit as well". Please wish your boyfriend a Belated Happy Birthday from me and we'll see you again soon.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Mu husband and I decided to take a little get away for the weekend and stay at Buffalo Thunder. This was our first time actually staying and we were very surprised at how great it was. Throughout the weekend we kept asking ourselves, why hadn't we come sooner? The front desk staff was great. They were very friendly in telling us what the hotel had to offer and gave us a very nice room. The room was clean and cozy and the shampoos and soaps were very nice. The coffee in the room was very convenient as we wanted to sleep in and be lazy. The food in Red Sage was delicious and they happy hour menu was perfect for starting our night. Had lots of fun at the casino!! Overall, my husband and I will definetly be back! We want to come in the summer when the outdoor pool is open and he can golf. Truly a great place with wonderfule staff!!!!

Dear Monica,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Sorry that it took so long for you and your husband to discover our beautiful resort, however glad to hear that you "will definitely be back". I enjoyed reading your comments on our "very friendly" Front Desk Staff, "clean and cozy room" , Red Sage and Happy Hour being "perfect for starting your night". We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

El Paso, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got to experience this resort property on friday night and it was great.It is quiet and away from the city.They also had great food in the two restaurants that we dined in.We had lunch at Mica and it was alot of food even if it was a little high.Later that night,we had dinner at the Red Sage Steakhouse and it was very nice.We were seated right away and for a friday,it was not crowded at all.The pool area was clean and well stocked with towels.The locker room was clean and well attended to.The room was also very clean and comfortable.We will definately be returning for another stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper levels with a view of the mountains!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear crazyiniraq,
Thank you for sharing with the readers of TripAdvisor that Hilton Buffalo Thunder is "A Nice Place to Escape for the Weekend". I was pleased to hear that you had "great food in the two restaurants", Mica and Red Sage. I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort since you "will definitely be returning for another stay".

Ojai, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

What happened to me on the night of 2/8/2013 at the Buffalo Thunder Hilton wasn't just unpleasant...it was nightmarish.

I've stayed at this Hilton and its adjacent Homewood Suites many times in the past. As a longstanding Hilton Honors Gold Level member I've been a paying guest at numerous Hilton properties across North America, China, Europe and Mexico.

On Friday, Feb.8, 2013, I was traveling with my girlfriend during an extended pre-Valentine's Weekend jaunt to Santa Fe (folio#: 294664 A, conf#: 3484546841). The front desk clerk allowed us an early (12:45pm) check-in to Room 5217, a free upgrade that retained my original room reservation's $98.00 nightly rate.

After depositing our luggage in this lovely room (gas fireplace, balcony with mountain views, above-average art) we drove to Taos and enjoyed an afternoon of sightseeing, shopping and sustenance. We returned to the Buffalo Thunder Hilton later that evening, ordered a light snack from room service, opened a bottle of wine and watched the last half of a Liam Neeson flick on the hotel's free HBO.

Fast forward an hour or two. Around midnight, with the flat screen television switched off and the sandman closing in fast, we both were startled by a loud, scratching noise that seemed to be coming from behind our room's wall, directly behind the bedside lamp. With our ears and eyes wide open we could clearly hear the source of that noise scurry up the wall and across the room's ceiling, fading into the distance as it transited toward who knows where.

We sat there, stunned, weighing our options. After ten silent minutes, we convinced each other that this was a once-in-a-million episode, switched off the bedside lamp and went to sleep. While my sleeping style is light, her's is more the "petrified log" variety. So at 2:15am, when the scurrying noises resumed, I sat bolt-upright, serenaded by her zzz's and the extremely disturbing sounds of multiple creatures using Room 5217's walls and ceiling as a highway criss-crossing the Buffalo Thunder Hilton's inner reaches.

Since nothing short of a tsunami was going to interrupt my companion's sleep, I watched iPad videos and slipped on my Sony headphones until the scurrying noises subsided around 5:30am, at which point I brewed a cup of the Hilton's reliably excellent Lavazza 100% Arabica coffee and started packing our bags.

We checked out after a respectable amount of lollygagging, Skyping and breakfasting (HH freebie). I stopped by the hotel's front desk to inform them about Room 5217's problems, and waited for ten minutes to chat with Dawn Osborn, the hotel's Front Office Manager.

Ms. Osborn looked uncomfortable as she listened to my recount of the previous night's experience. She told me that Buffalo Thunder Hilton has an "aggressive" approach to pest control and assured me that there never has been a complaint about scurrying noises in any part of the hotel. She then gave me her business card as well as the card of Jason Schliening, this Hilton's Director of Front Office Operations, and told me she would have the Housekeeping Department "look into this matter".

Alright, I understand her position so I'm not going to belabor her reactions to my recount of my experience. But even after I let her know that I'd stayed at Buffalo Thunder Hilton in the past and was a Hilton Honors Gold Level customer, I expected something more than the same boilerplated response one would hear if their minibar stopped working.

Room 5217's situation is very disturbing. New Mexico is no stranger to outbreaks of Hantavirus and even Bubonic Plague. This Hilton is built on Tribal land and its reputation has a direct impact on the good name of American Indian people and Pueblo governments across northern New Mexico.

This matter deserves a top management response from not just Buffalo Thunder Hilton but from Pueblo authorities.

Thank You.

Room Tip: Got Noise?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and for recognizing the service provided by our Front Office staff in "allowing an early check-in" and the upgrade to your "lovely room (gas fireplace, balcony with mountain views)". I was disturbed to hear your comments on the noise coming from inside the wall behind your beds. I want you to know that I was called by Dawn immediately after your discussion with her on Sunday and brought up to speed on your concerns. As she had mentioned to you that morning, our resort does in fact have a very aggressive approach to pest control and our contracted company was notified immediately. I have also passed along your message to the Pojoaque Pueblo. After two days of investigation, I can assure you that our pest control company, Engineering Dept and Houskeeping Dept have concluded that the noise that you heard was a result of the strong winds that evening, however we will continue to monitor this situation.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience at our resort.

Hal Leonard

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!