“A nice place to escape for the weekend!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
El Paso, Texas
“A nice place to escape for the weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We got to experience this resort property on friday night and it was great.It is quiet and away from the city.They also had great food in the two restaurants that we dined in.We had lunch at Mica and it was alot of food even if it was a little high.Later that night,we had dinner at the Red Sage Steakhouse and it was very nice.We were seated right away and for a friday,it was not crowded at all.The pool area was clean and well stocked with towels.The locker room was clean and well attended to.The room was also very clean and comfortable.We will definately be returning for another stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper levels with a view of the mountains!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear crazyiniraq,
Thank you for sharing with the readers of TripAdvisor that Hilton Buffalo Thunder is "A Nice Place to Escape for the Weekend". I was pleased to hear that you had "great food in the two restaurants", Mica and Red Sage. I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort since you "will definitely be returning for another stay".

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Turkish first
Ojai, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

What happened to me on the night of 2/8/2013 at the Buffalo Thunder Hilton wasn't just unpleasant...it was nightmarish.

I've stayed at this Hilton and its adjacent Homewood Suites many times in the past. As a longstanding Hilton Honors Gold Level member I've been a paying guest at numerous Hilton properties across North America, China, Europe and Mexico.

On Friday, Feb.8, 2013, I was traveling with my girlfriend during an extended pre-Valentine's Weekend jaunt to Santa Fe (folio#: 294664 A, conf#: 3484546841). The front desk clerk allowed us an early (12:45pm) check-in to Room 5217, a free upgrade that retained my original room reservation's $98.00 nightly rate.

After depositing our luggage in this lovely room (gas fireplace, balcony with mountain views, above-average art) we drove to Taos and enjoyed an afternoon of sightseeing, shopping and sustenance. We returned to the Buffalo Thunder Hilton later that evening, ordered a light snack from room service, opened a bottle of wine and watched the last half of a Liam Neeson flick on the hotel's free HBO.

Fast forward an hour or two. Around midnight, with the flat screen television switched off and the sandman closing in fast, we both were startled by a loud, scratching noise that seemed to be coming from behind our room's wall, directly behind the bedside lamp. With our ears and eyes wide open we could clearly hear the source of that noise scurry up the wall and across the room's ceiling, fading into the distance as it transited toward who knows where.

We sat there, stunned, weighing our options. After ten silent minutes, we convinced each other that this was a once-in-a-million episode, switched off the bedside lamp and went to sleep. While my sleeping style is light, her's is more the "petrified log" variety. So at 2:15am, when the scurrying noises resumed, I sat bolt-upright, serenaded by her zzz's and the extremely disturbing sounds of multiple creatures using Room 5217's walls and ceiling as a highway criss-crossing the Buffalo Thunder Hilton's inner reaches.

Since nothing short of a tsunami was going to interrupt my companion's sleep, I watched iPad videos and slipped on my Sony headphones until the scurrying noises subsided around 5:30am, at which point I brewed a cup of the Hilton's reliably excellent Lavazza 100% Arabica coffee and started packing our bags.

We checked out after a respectable amount of lollygagging, Skyping and breakfasting (HH freebie). I stopped by the hotel's front desk to inform them about Room 5217's problems, and waited for ten minutes to chat with Dawn Osborn, the hotel's Front Office Manager.

Ms. Osborn looked uncomfortable as she listened to my recount of the previous night's experience. She told me that Buffalo Thunder Hilton has an "aggressive" approach to pest control and assured me that there never has been a complaint about scurrying noises in any part of the hotel. She then gave me her business card as well as the card of Jason Schliening, this Hilton's Director of Front Office Operations, and told me she would have the Housekeeping Department "look into this matter".

Alright, I understand her position so I'm not going to belabor her reactions to my recount of my experience. But even after I let her know that I'd stayed at Buffalo Thunder Hilton in the past and was a Hilton Honors Gold Level customer, I expected something more than the same boilerplated response one would hear if their minibar stopped working.

Room 5217's situation is very disturbing. New Mexico is no stranger to outbreaks of Hantavirus and even Bubonic Plague. This Hilton is built on Tribal land and its reputation has a direct impact on the good name of American Indian people and Pueblo governments across northern New Mexico.

This matter deserves a top management response from not just Buffalo Thunder Hilton but from Pueblo authorities.

Thank You.

Room Tip: Got Noise?
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear John,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and for recognizing the service provided by our Front Office staff in "allowing an early check-in" and the upgrade to your "lovely room (gas fireplace, balcony with mountain views)". I was disturbed to hear your comments on the noise coming from inside the wall behind your beds. I want you to know that I was called by Dawn immediately after your discussion with her on Sunday and brought up to speed on your concerns. As she had mentioned to you that morning, our resort does in fact have a very aggressive approach to pest control and our contracted company was notified immediately. I have also passed along your message to the Pojoaque Pueblo. After two days of investigation, I can assure you that our pest control company, Engineering Dept and Houskeeping Dept have concluded that the noise that you heard was a result of the strong winds that evening, however we will continue to monitor this situation.
Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience at our resort.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed overnight at Buffalo Thunder on our way to see family and will certainly return when we are in the area. The rooms were comfortable, spacious, quiet and really clean. My only complaint would be the shower head. It sprayed at such a wide angle that it took me an extra 15 minutes to rinse off. I ultimately had to finish rinsing my hair in the bathroom sink. Pretty irritating but my parents didn't have the same issue in their room.

The casino staff was SO NICE! We've been to Vegas a number of times and never had the kind of experience we did at Buffalo Thunder. I'd always wanted to try craps but was too intimidated. Each of the five men we talked to at the craps table were so helpful, friendly and informative. We didn't leave ahead but we had a blast and learned a lot.

Room Tip: Some rooms comes with balconies. Might be available upon request.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear KJS,
Thanks for taking the time to send TripAdvisor such outstanding comments on your recent visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Your heading stating "Nice Place! Very clean with a friendly atmosphere", truly says it all. And thank you for pointing out that our rooms were "comfortable, spacious, quiet and really clean". I was sorry to hear that your showerhead did not have a concentrated flow, which I will discuss with our Executive Houskeeper.
I have also passed along to our Casino General Manager, your impressions of our casino staff that were "SO NICE" and that the Craps dealers were "helpful, friendly and informative". We all look forward to you and your parents return visit on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Lone Tree, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We've stayed at Buffalo Thunder three times, and we really love the place! The architecture is amazing, the interior design is very welcoming and cozy, and the pool is great for both adults and kids. I really enjoy the golf course (3 sets of 9 holes), my wife loves the spa, and the casino is great. The staff is very friendly and attentive. All of the food options are excellent, and the buffet is easily the best I've had outside of Las Vegas. We've recommended Buffalo Thunder to friends, and they've all been very pleased with their stays as well.

My wife is pregnant with our 2nd, and I am surprising her with a weekend getaway beginning on Valentine's Day. I can't wait! I know she'll especially enjoy the spa.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Proudaggie,
I always enjoy hearing such great comments from a three time guest of Hilton Buffalo Thunder. Reading your praises on our "Wonderful Resort" and that your wife "loves the spa", our "staff is very friendly and attentive" and that "the buffet is easily the best you've had outside of Las Vegas", makes me very proud of our resort and the team members responsible for creating such a memorable experience for you.
Regarding your upcoming stay, please contact me personally as I would like to do something special for you and your wife for Valentines Day. I have listed my email address for your conveninece and thank you again for the glowing review! Hope to hear from you soon.

hal.leonard@hilton.com
Bernalillo, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is a nice resort in a beautiful area of Santa Fe. Our rooms were clean and pretty, the beds are super comfy, friendly hotel staff and delicious breakfast at Mica restaurant. My husband and I had fun playing slots in the casino as well!

Room Tip: We stayed on the south side of the 3rd floor, no problems!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder, our "Beautiful Resort in Northern New Mexico". I was pleased to read your comments regarding our "clean and pretty rooms", "super comfy beds", and especially our "friendly hotel staff". Glad to hear that you also had fun playing slots in our casino.
On behalf of our entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort on your next visit to Santa Fe.

San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Last weekend we went to Santa Fa on a ski trip. It was great! We stayed at Buffalo Thunder and I really enjoyed it. I would have not left the hotel but to ski. However, the couples that we were with wanted to go into Santa Fe. I enjoyed that too. However Buffalo Thunder was clean and had great service. There was a casino, nightclub, and a spa. I didn't get to use the spa, but one of the ladies who went there said it was great. The casino was awesome and I really liked the atmosphere. The restaurants there were great as well. There was a great buffet style place that had wonderful spinach omelets. The other restaurant was fancier and just as good. Really like the fire and wine cellar in the middle of the restaurant. Also, and most importantly, the gift shop in the hotel had Dramamine. It was expensive there but well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear South Texas Chic,
Thank you for taking the time to send TripAdvisor your glowing review of the Hilton Buffalo Thunder, a "Great Place to Stay When You're Skiing". I really enjoyed hearing that our resort "was clean and had great service" and that you had an "awesome" casino experience highlighted by the many fine restaurants that we offer.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Albuquerque
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

A wonderful property! Our first room was gorgeous, however our neighbors were VERY loud. We were switched to another room that worked well for the rest of our stay. Great guest service, wonderful dining and an overall good time. We will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder, which you desribe as "A Wonderful Property". I was pleased to read that your room "was gorgeous" and was sorry to hear that noisy neighbors forced you to change rooms. Based on your comments about our "great guest service, wonderful dining and overall good time", it appears that this worked well for the remainder of your stay. The best comment for me was hearing...."We will return".
Thank you again for the positive review and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!