“Winter vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Irvine, California
“Winter vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited Sante Fe a few days before Christmas and stay until the day after Christmas. This hotel is located roughly 30 minutes from the city center. The room we had was nice and spacious. Considering how cold it was when we were there, we were thankful for the good heating indoors. The beds are nice and comfy. The pillows could use an upgrade! I don't fancy pillows with bunched up cotton!! We had a room facing the east, so we always woke up to sunlight streaming into the room :)

There seem to be quite a few dining options within the hotel, and yet we felt that we didn't have enough choice in food. There's a decent sandwich place downstairs near the casino i.e. Peublo deli. We ate dinner once at the Turquoise Trail and that was strictly ok. Mica has some decent breakfast options. There are lots of restaurants in the city center if you don't mind the drive. The only thing to remember is that most close early. The hotel runs some daily shuttles to the city center and back. Parking can sometimes be a problem in the city, so consider taking the shuttle when traveling on a long weekend.

Taos and Ski Sante Fe are about an hour away from Buffalo Thunder.

Overall, this is a nice hotel and casino. The outer design is modeled to look like an adobe building, which is nice since it blends into the surrounding landscape very well. Recommend it for families, couples, friends, as well as solo travelers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Sarah,
I was so pleased to read your outstanding comments on your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm glad that you felt the "Pick Your Mountain" promotion was such a great value and that you were able to choose from a variety of world-class ski areas located near our resort. Thanks for mentioning that you and your daughter had an "Incredible Stay at an incredible price". Hope to see you again soon on your next visit to Santa Fe.

956 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Attended an office christmas party at Hilton Santa Fe Resort & Spa at Buffalo Thunder on December 21, 2012. The banquet dinner was excellend. I am not a gambler and did not play in the casino however I did a walk through and it was very clean. Customer service great. Rooms clean and spacious.Overal really good stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder, when attending your office Christmas Party. I was pleased to hear that your "banquet dinner was excellent", the "customer service great" and that the rooms were "clean and spacious".
Hopefully, your company will once again choose our resort for their next holiday party.
All the Best

Hythe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great looking hotel with lots of Indian sculptures and art but let down by cleaning and charging for Internet. We stayed in 21 hotels/motels during our month long road trip from San Francisco to Miami and Hilton were the only ones who charged for Internet. I'm sure they could afford to give it free.
Unfortunately our lovely room was let down by the standard of cleaning - mass of black hair in the shower trap and rice on the bedroom carpet to one side of bed. When I mentioned this on check out next morning, they weren't really interested.
Meal in the buffet was average too.
High point was the indoor pool/spa, as the weather was too cold for outside pool on the day we were there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Sue,
Thank you for your recent review of Hilton Buffalo Thunder and I really enjoyed hearing that you enjoyed the Indian Sculptures and Art as well as the indoor pool/spa. I was disappointed to read however, about the concerns that you described with your Housekeeping service. There is absolutely no excuse for these two items being missed. If you would please contact me personally, I will be happy to make an adustment on your room charges for these shortcomings.
I also wanted you to know that we do offer complimentary high-speed internet in our lobby area and Business Center.
Thank you again for your candid comments and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

hal.leonard@hilton.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

We just returned from a four night stay leaving on MLK day. It was very enjoyable. The staff from the front desk to Jeff the Bellman were great. We had a terrace two queen suite on the fifth floor with a great view of the mountains. I expected a larger room because it was supposed to be an expanded jr. Suite although it had a fireplace which was special. The spotless room's terrace was awesome as it faced the Sun during the day, a must for the winter. I would definetely pay a little extra for a suite. The room service menu was very high priced, like a top hotel in Vegas, we refused to use it. The half price nights at the Painted Parrot were pretty good. We found the Turquoise Trail in the Casino to be greatly priced and excellent. We ignored the Snack Bar in the Casino like the plague, virtuously empty because of the rude and unprofessional staff. Two servers had their heads laying on the counter, one stands up and coughs all over the place. I would fire the entire staff, top to bottom. They truly hate their job. That was the only negative and is part of the Casino, not Hilton. Starbucks was a plus. The Casino was nice, didn't win but didn't lose much. All in all the Hilton is first rate and will stay again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Mark,
Thank you for taking the time to give the Hilton Buffalo Thunder a Five-Star review! I was really pleased to hear that your four night stay was "very enjoyable", "the staff from the front desk to Jeff the bellman were great" and that the view from your "spotless room's terrace was awesome".
Thank you for spending your four-night MLK weekend with us.

San Angelo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Deciding whether or not this is the place to be. Tried to make reservations but it was hard over the phone. When i tried to explain to the lady about needing 3 rooms and told her how i will contact the others about reserving she started to get pushy. She told me how my prices would change. I may try reserving again but asking for a different person. Most reviews sound excellent so I am tempted to cancel my trip to the Ruidosa Resort and Casino to try this one but if I can't get any help may not be worth the extra 3 hours extra drive

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Cathy,
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns on making a reservation at Hilton Buffalo Thunder. As I am unable to contact you personally, please feel free to give me a call directly and I will be pleased to handle the arrangements.
The direct line to my office is: 505-819-2000 and my email address is hal.leonard@hilton.com.
I look forward to speaking with you soon as well as welcoming you to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I can guarantee that you will be pleased with your decision to choose us.

Hilton Buffalo Thunder
Allen, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Checked in to this hotel on 24th december till 31st. Great place to stay. very good staff and good food and options. Casino is not very big yet good. Dinner and Breakfast options needed some more items...

Room Tip: Stayed in the suite room with good sized balcony..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear pmdnair,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and for giving us a 5 star review. I was truly pleased to hear that you found our resort to be a "great place to stay" with a "very good staff and good food and options".
I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to beautiful Santa Fe.......
All the Best

Sun Lakes, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

A wonderfull time had at this resort. Took extra care of our small dog. Great place to walk our dog every day. Bell Staff was one of the best in the world. All staff made our stay very nice. Room was very good. Bathroom very clean all the time. Had a fire place in the living room and one in the bedroom.

Room Tip: 5th floor West view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Lawrence,
Glad to hear that you (and especially your pooch) had such a "wonderful time" at our resort. I have passed along your comments to our Bell Staff that you rated as "one of the best in the world". On behalf of our entire team of professionals, I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Hal Leonard

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!