“Nice Stay at the Buffalo Thunder” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 Buffalo Thunder Trail, Santa Fe, NM 87506   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Olathe, Kansas
“Nice Stay at the Buffalo Thunder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino is a large, Pueblo-style Hilton located north of Santa Fe. We arrived on a Friday evening and quickly checked in. The large hotel is immaculately clean, from the lobby, to the hallway, to our room. After checking in, and for our two day stay, I rarely saw staff, though we didn’t go out in the common areas of the hotel much.

Our room, decorated in a southwestern theme, was well-appointed had a comfortable king-size bed. It was spotless and felt as though we were the first guests to stay in the room, nothing seemed worn or less than perfect. The hotel was quiet and relaxing – while I saw other guests I never heard them.

Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to use the spa while I was there, if I make it back to Buffalo Thunder I will certainly try to do so. We were there during a heavy snow, so I could only look at the pool/outdoor entertainment area, but it, too, looked quite nice.

The hotel is located north of Santa Fe and, while it is an easy 10 minute drive, it’s not in the thick of the action. If it’s Santa Fe proper you’re there to see you may want to consider staying at another spot. For us, the drive didn’t bother and we enjoyed the scenery. I would definitely stay at Buffalo Thunder again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Mamie,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review on your recent stay at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you were "quickly checked in" and that our hotel was "immaculately clean from the lobby, to the hallway, to your room" and that your "well-appointed room was comfortable and spotless". I have passed along your very positive comments to our Front Desk staff as well as our Housekeeping team. I'm also pleased that the 10 minute drive to downtown Santa Fe, allowed you to enjoy the scenic beauty of northern New Mexico. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next visit to this area.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Turkish first
santa fe
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our experience with this Hilton property and one other has been that every amenity is isn't really an amenity. Buffalo Thunder has been anything but to live up to it's price. Since we have arrived, there have been issues. Initially, we were reserved a King room on the fifth floor. We called the day of arriving and made sure that we could have early check-in. The guy (Drew) at the desk, assured us it was ready. After driving 4 hours we got to the resort well after usual check-in time and we had no room ready. We had to wait, tired, the staff assumed we wanted to gamble and said, we will call your cell number when the room is ready. Took a good 45 minutes and low and behold, room is ready and on a lower floor, with a crappy view.

We are so tired we check in. First off, the vanity curtain falls off on top of me when I try and pull it, The bed is very hard and since (3 days in) we have had many issues. When we pointed these things out, the gracious staff gave us comps for Starbuck's which has limited hours. So, we can't use them. Also, the bar where we have the free drinks isn't opened. Our main issue is that it is a lot of money for a crappy bed, one cup coffee maker, bad housekeeping and no fridge, nor microwave!

Room Tip: Shop around! Less is more, there are better properties in Santa Fe for the money!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear CS,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Buffalo Thunder. Please allow me to offer my sincere apologies for your disappointment with our check-in process as well as the firmness of our mattresses. I was also bothered to hear that in our attempt to minimize your inconvenience, our staff offered coupons that were difficult to utilize. I can assure you that your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be addressed during our daily meetings with our Front Office staff.
I would greatly appreciate you contacting me directly, so that I may address your concerns on a personal basis. Thank you again for your comments.

hal.leonard@hilton.com
san antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We just spent the past weekend at this property and it was all that is advertised and more. We were greeted promptly by the Front Desk and given a room upgrade. My wife used the Spa and was thrilled by the very professional yet personable attendant. Our kids went to the indoor swimming pool on Saturday and it was just perfect as with the cold weather in NM we were able to enjoy our time indoors.
Our Servers were great during the two times we went to the restaurant. One of our children did not feel well so we had to leave prematurely and they gave us club soda to settle their stomach. Very attentive and caring.

Thank you for making our stay memorable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I truly appreciate you taking the time to review your "Birthday Weekend". It was pleasing to read that your experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder, "was all that is advertised and more"......I have passed along your positive comments to our Front Desk staff, the Spa attendants as well as the "attentive and caring" staff in our restaurant. We look forward to seeing you again and creating another "memorable stay" on your next visit to Santa Fe.
All the Best

Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed at Buffalo Thunder in the past and had a great time. On our last visit we had quite a bit of issues during breakfast with a server named Ben.

Upon greeting us we recognized that his eyes were bloodshot and his breath smelled like achohal. He was in no condition to be working in front of the public and what made things worse is that he spilled oranage juice all the table and did not apologize or even help to clean it up.

Overall we enjoy the resort, but having this kind of staff to represent a Hilton property is unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Danny,
Thank you for taking the time to review your return visit to Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was pleased to read that you were a regular visitor to our property and that you've "enjoyed the resort" during these visits. I was disturbed however to read your comments on one of our Mica servers. I can't speak for what you experienced, however can say with confidence, that Ben is one of our best servers and he was recently recognized as one of our "Peak Performers" at a recent luncheon held to reward excellence. I hope that you will be able to give us another opportunity to serve you in the future and I can assure you that we will not only meet, but hopefully exceed your expectations.

Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We went during the summer for an anniversary trip. The rooms were clean and nice. The outdoor and indoor pools and spas are nice. The balcany is really nice and view is beautiful. This is a great place for couples. The spa is expensive but it is really nice. They have a few places to eat there including a buffet which was pretty good. They are kind of expensive to eat there but you are not too far from town if you would rather eat cheap.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the pool for better balcony views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Wow! It's been several months since your Anniversary trip to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort, so thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay. Right now, it's ski season in the Santa Fe area, so your positive comments on the outdoor pool (closed during the winter) were nice to hear and you'll be happy to know that our indoor pool and spa are open all year. I'm also pleased that you found our resort a "great place for couples" and that the Spa is "really nice". I'm counting on you contacting me personally prior to your next visit to Santa Fe, in order to ensure that you receive a "room facing the pool for a better balcony views", which you added as a "Room Tip" for TripAdvisor readers.
Thanks again for the great review!

castle rock, colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here over the holidays and were quite impressed. We were just traveling through on our way to Phoenix, so we were not too interested in the Casino. The room was very nice and clean and we ate at the most casual dining offered--and we were very pleased. Overall it was a very plesant stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear CRChris,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort over the holidays. It was wonderful to hear that you "were quite impressed.....with the room which was nice and clean" and that you were "very pleased" with our casual dining restaurant, Mica. I'm hoping that you will choose our hotel again on your future trips to and from Phoenix.
All the Best

Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were looking for a fun place close to Albuquerque. It was our 2nd stay, with the other about two years ago. We were not disappointed - same beautiful decor and accessible
room. My husband needs a roll-in shower. The bathroom was great but had no seat in the roll-in shower. A call to the front desk had a shower chair delivered quickly. I had a fantastic hot stone massage at the spa. We had a good dinner the first night at the Turquoise Trail bar and Grill. There was a 2 for $20 menu that got us a great nacho appetizer and two prime rib dinners. Nice for the price.. Dinner the next night was better at the Painted Parrot Buffet! We enjoyed the Thursday night BBQ night in addition to the regular international buffet. The casino brought fun for my husband and I actually won $ the first night with the promotional free play money that I got for signing up for a players card.

Room Tip: Handicap accessible rooms are well designed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to let us know that when you were looking for a "fun place close to Albuquerque", that you chose the Hilton Buffalo Thunder for a return visit. I was pleased to hear that you "were not disappointed- same beautiful decor and accessible room" and that your request for a shower chair was handled promptly by our Front Desk. It appears that your "fantastic hot stone massage at the Spa" and your dinner at the Painted Parrott Buffet where you "enjoyed the Thursday Night BBQ......in addition to the International Buffet", were some of the highlights of your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort the next time you need an easy getaway from Albuquerque.

Hal Leonard

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!