“Nice place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Houston
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

They were offering great rates this Christmas season so we gave them a shot. Overall, it's a very nice property and I recommend staying there. The property is a little far from Santa Fe and I wished the hotel was at least a mile or so from the freeway to enable a more exclusive, private feel. The rooms face the parking lots which took away some aesthetics. Big plus is that it is pet-friendly and our Black Lab was able to come with us! And we loved the fireplace in the room. We had it going every night, all night long.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review of the Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your recent visit to Santa Fe. Telling TripAdvisor readers that we have "a very nice property and you would recommend staying here" as well as your appreciation of our "pet-friendly" policy and in-room fireplaces.
Please feel free to contact me personally prior to your next visit with us and I'll make sure that you have a beautiful view of our 27-hole golf course, considered one of the finest in New Mexico.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Very good facility, room, clean, we enjoyed our stay, what no so nice is to pay for breakfast, no WI_Fi in rooms, and around 15 uphill freeway drive to downtown. Breakfast items are good quality and you need to buy tickets for $10 people at front desk. Is just goof for casino gambling. We haven't done. We went in the after Christmas week and the room fare was above the brackets price shown in Trussville site.

• Stayed December 2012
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Joe,
I was pleased to read that your review of the Hilton Buffalo Thunder stated that we have a "very good facility, clean room" and that "you enjoyed your stay". I'm concerned however that although you felt that "breakfast items are of good quality", that "what is not so nice is to pay for breakfast". I would greatly appreciate you contacting me personally to give me clarification on this comment, and I will be pleased to address this as well as the pricing issue that you mentioned.
Joe, thank you again for your positive review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder in the near future.

Gualala, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We spent 6 days and nights at Buffalo Thunder and really enjoyed our stay. As Hilton Gold members we had free breakfasts and the spa is free to all Hilton Honors. We used the spa daily and enjoyed the breakfasts. The concierge had all the information we needed and offered good suggestions. The location is the best! Being just a few minutes north of Santa Fe but away from all the traffic is a plus. We were able to go to several nearby pueblos for their seasonal dances and we also went to Bandolier for a side trip and to Taos which is just about an hour north.

The staff was great and we enjoyed two different rooms. Our first was a King balcony that was nice and quiet. After a few days we switched to a king suite with fireplaces, it was on the opposite wing and was also nice. Each wing has it's pluses and the hotel staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Our one criticism of the rooms is that the furniture was too big, it would have been nice to have more open space. As in all Hilton's, the beds are comfortable.

The casino was fine, not being a gambler, however, I did leave with a little more than I started out
The breakfast at Mica was great, the buffet, had an assortment of freshly baked goods, the homemade granola and muffins delicious, lots of fruit. You could also get egg dishes. We didn't try Red Sage, preferred to eat in Santa Fe. We were disappointed with the Painted Parrot buffet and the Torquiose Trail at the casino, but enjoyed a quick sandwich at the Pueblo Deli which was fine.

The Native artwork in the lobby and the hallways is beautiful, with an outstanding assortment of Pueblo (mostly) paintings, sculptures, pottery and textile work, well displayed. Overall, a very comfortable atmosphere.

We would definitely return to this resort!

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, not near families with children, book a fireplace suite on the 5th floor o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder Resort and I was so pleased to hear that you both "Loved Buffalo Thunder". It appears that our "wonderful hotel staff, the Spa, breakfast service and the guest room quality" were part of the reasons you gave us such a great rating, and I have passed along your praises to our team of professionals.
Our entire staff looks forward to welcoming you back to our spectacular hotel on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Essex Fells
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The website photos of Hilton's Buffalo Thunder made the resort look opulent and huge. When I arrived, I was surprised to find that the grand staircase in the lobby was half the size I expected and the indoor pool was quite small and harshly lit with bright floodlights. The photos seemed so much nicer. That's not to say that the place was not beautiful and elegant. I was just expecting more. The decor was very nice and obviously great expense had been lavished on all details. The front desk staff were very helpful and encouraged me to upgrade to a larger junior suite for my party of three. The room was beautifully furnished, but overlooked a vast parking lot. We were on the second floor and felt very isolated. We barely saw any other guests until Saturday night, when revelers were noisily partying in the hallways (for some reason) until 4am. The casino was disappointing--quite small and claustrophobic with low ceilings and the ever-present, pungent smell of cigarette smoke. I liked the location away from the hustle and bustle of Santa Fe and it was only a 15-minute drive into town. There was always free parking (or valet parking if needed). Also, Red Sage was a very nice restaurant and the Sunday dinner buffet was a big bargain. I never checked out the spa, much to my regret. All in all, a pleasant hotel experience. Maybe my expectations were too high.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Joel,
What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Hilton Buffalo Thunder and I must admit that I was initially concerned after reading the heading....Buffalo Disappointment. Hearing your impressions on our propety being "beautiful and elegant", your guestroom being "beautifully furnished", the Front Desk staff as "very helpful", and that our two restaurants, Painted Parrot buffet being a "bargain" and Red Sage was "very nice" spoke volumes regarding the guest experience. I was however disappointed to hear that our casino was disappointing in regards to its size, low ceilings and smoke smell. I have passed along these comments to our Casino Manager.
On another positive note, I was pleased to hear that our location "away from the hustle and bustle", was only a short drive into town.
Joel, thank you again for taking the time to write this review along with the separate review that you submitted on our Red Sage Restaurant, regarding your extraordinary dining experience there. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Buffalo Thunder on your next visit to Santa Fe and we'll make sure that you receive a room with a view of the beautiful mountains in this area.

Hal L
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been to Buffalo Thunder many times. It used to be my favorite hotel. This trip has been somewhat disappointing. I am sitting in my room at 8 am listening to little kids running up and down the halls screaming. I was woken up several times during the night by noise. I appreciate that the hotel is kid and pet friendly, but I would suggest putting the pets and families with small kids near the lobby and the rest of us with older kids or no kids farther down the halls. It seems to me that would help with the noise.

Also, the food is not as good as it used to be. We have always enjoyed the Turquoise Trail but the prime rib is not that good any more. The burgers and nachos were very good. I went to the deli this morning to get breakfast burritos for my teenagers and they said their eggs are old and spoiled. I went to the Micah where they had eggs. So why no eggs at the deli? Makes no sense.

Last thing -- we used to get free rooms from the casino, but they have cut way back on the comps too. But i care more about the other issues than that.

I will definitely come back but hope things are a littler smoother and less noisy next time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Paula,
Thank you for taking the time to review your last visit to Buffalo Thunder, and I was disappointed to read that our property was "not as good as in the past". I have taken the liberty of passing on your comments to our Casino Manager regarding your poor experiences in the two casino restaurants, Turquoise Trail and the Pueblo Deli. I would also suggest that you reach out to him prior to your next visit regarding complimentary accommodations that you had received in the past.
We look forward to your next visit and I can assure you that we will address the issues that you have brought to our attention.

Hilton Buffalo Thunder
Albuquerque, NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Buffalo Thunder casino and resort opened in 2008 yet we have never had the pleasure of staying there. What a beautiful, clean resort with a very attentive and friendly staff. We checked in and loved our suite which had two fireplaces and a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The beautiful outdoor pool is closed in the winter, but it has nice indoor pool and hot tub. The gym is open 24 - hours and better than most hotel gyms. We had a great steak at the Red Sage fine dining restaurant. We spent some time in the casino, the staff and the patrons seem very nice, and they do have some non-smoking spots in the casino. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your glowing review of the Hilton Buffalo Thunder titled " A Great Place to Stay". I was very pleased to read that you found our property to be, "a beautiful, clean resort with a very attentive and friendly staff". It was also nice to hear that you "loved the suite, Fitness Center, Indoor Pool and Hot Tub" and that you and your family will "definitely go back".
Thanks again for the outstanding review and on behalf of our entire staff, I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Santa Fe.

New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

On a Tuesday afternoon my husband and I traveled to this resort to celebrate my 50th birthday. This place is in a very remote location North of Santa Fe. When we arrived, it was snowy and windy. As we pulled up to valet, no one came out to great us and there was no one to be found for about 5 minutes. I went into the hotel and a sad sack of an employee said "Do you need your car parked?' I said yes and we need our luggage taken to the room. She told us that she could not take the luggage but could park the car because they were understaffed. I told my husband and he decided he would forego the $8.00 per night valet parking fee. We unloaded the car there (they would not allow us to use a cart for our luggage) and then he went and parked the car while I went to the Front Desk. I waited 10 minutes for someone to show up to check me in. She spoke very little, no welcome to the resort, no offer of any information about what was happening at the resort. She just gave us our keys and said the elevators are on the right. Well, you had to walk down and around a corner to get to the elevator for the 'SPA' side. The hallway curved and you walked by the indoor fitness center/pool, the Spa stairwell, a small meeting room and then voila there is a little nook where the elevators are. We get to the room and it is a basic hotel room set up albeit with upgraded linens and furniture. The tv was small, there was no refrigerator (only an honor bar) and no microwave. The coffee maker is a joke. And the bedside clock time cannot be changed. It was an hour off the whole time we were there. We had a balcony that was not clean, chairs were soiled and there was no light out there. Also, the view is VERY bland....brown and white. No color whatsoever. The room was quiet and clean. Decent bathroom, nice towels, hair dryer and shampoo/conditioner/soap. Closet was nice size with a safe.

Going back to the hotel, there was very little decor around indicating that is was the hoiliday season. That was very dissappointing. Everything seemed very clean. The indoor pool is nice but could be very loud if there were alot of kids playing in there. The pool is only 4' deep anyway. The hot tub is clean but some repairs have been made to it that make it look kind of shabby. You have to hunt for the entrance to the pool as well. Not easy to find. The outdoor pool was closed due to the season.

The lounges and eateries are very nice looking but the food and drink are of average quality at a very steep price. Breakfast in Mica was $45.00!!! That was for fritatta, breakfast burritto, coffee and orange juice. We had brought a bottle of wine with us that I paid $4.99 for (yea, cheap table wine). The SAME bottle of wine was in the gift shop for $19.99. The prices in the gift shop will shock you. Make sure you have EVERYTHING you need before you go as there is no where within 10 miles to get what you might have left at home.

There is a huge amount of meeting space and would probably be a great destination conference site.

In short...we were there on a Tuesday night before Christmas. There were very few people there and most were older couples....did not not see any child. In general, the employees have a 'don't bother me' attitude about them. They are not wiling to step up and give information or make you feel welcome. Our whole experience here was just kind of blah. I will give kudos to Karan at the concierge desk...she had a lot of life in her and was very helpful.

I would not care to stay here again and don't recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose the SPA side on the 4th floor. It is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DOFOOJASON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are saddened to hear of your recent experience with us here at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. We are continously striving to exceed our guest expections and it appears we fell short with your stay and for this we sincerley apologize. Thank you for the invaluable feedback here as we have dispersed your comments to various departments. We can only hope for a return stay in the future. Please call me directly if we do get that opportunity as I would love to oversee your reservation.

Regards,

Jason Schliening
505-819-2100
Director of Front Office Operations

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!