“Terrible terrible service” 2 of 5 stars

$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Terrible terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for the second time back in September. I have never had such a bad experience at a Hilton hotel. The front desk staff was downright rude and literally ignored the guests. There were kids running up and down the halls screaming unattended at three a.m. The Internet and phone service was absolutely terrible. Will never return there!

• Stayed September 2012
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your September stay at Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room and that the service in Red Sage was "excellent". I also want you to know that I was disappointed to hear about our shortcomings on this visit, from the $25 Honor Bar charge to the problems with the coffee pot.
As the new General Manager for this resort, I can assure you that these comments will only assist us in improving our property as I will be sharing them with our staff immediately.
I will also be pleased to refund the $25 that you were charged, and will ask that you please contact me personally at the hotel. My direct line is 505-819-2000.
Thank you again for taking the time to send us your thoughtful remarks.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Turkish first
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went to the Buffalo Thunder for a romantic weekend. The room was nice, bed very comfortable. Loved the hand carved furnature. But because we removed sodas from the fridge to place wine and doggy bags from dinner we were charged $25. Mind you we replaced all the items before checking out. I was told that the note on the fridge said as much. I glanced at the note and it did state it was a honor bar. I didn't see anything about a fee but it might have been there. The lighting was horrible in the room. The coffee pot worked poorly. Lighting was horrible in the bathroom for makeup. One would think there would have been a lite makeup mirror, but no. Dinner at their nicest restaurant the Red Sage was fine. Service excellent, but food not up to par with what we have come to expect from Santa Fe. Next time I will be at Bishop's Lodge.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I appreciate the time you took out of your busy day to write a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were unhappy with some of the charges. I apologize if the charges were not as clearly posted as they should have been. Your feedback regarding the room amenities will also be taken into consideration as guest feedback is incredibly important to us. Thank you for your review.
Wells, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights on our first visit ever to New Mexico. We had a king suite with 2 fireplaces and 2 balconies and 2 flatscreen TV's. The place is amazing and very quiet. The staff were great, our room was not ready when we arrived and Lauren immediately gave us 2 drink coupons and showed us to the lobby bar and within 10 minutes we were all set. Concierage was very helpful in mapping out our daily trips. Parking is free. The casino is attached to the hotel so you don't have to go outside. We did lose power in the middle of the night and then the next morning there was no TV, which was a bit annoying considering it was election day but we watched TV that evening in the bar and had a blast. I would recommend keeping the small lobby bar open every evening for happy hour we really enjoyed that bar and Sandra the bartender! My only real complaint is you cannot get a HOT cup of coffee anywhere, we finally went to the gas station down the road!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
On behalf of the Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, we would like to thank you for your kind words about the staff and property. I'm glad we were able to make up for the room not being ready on time. Apologies for the power outage, but we are happy to hear you still enjoyed yourselves at the lobby bar with Sandra. We certainly hope the next time you are in Santa Fe that you choose to stay with us again. Thank You!
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Artwork is everywhere! Rooms are beautiful. The location was convenient for me being only 20 minutes drive from both Santa Fe and Los Alamos. The workout room has good machines. Pool was nice, but outdoors. My only problem was that my original room overlooked the airconditioners and was extremely noisy. Staff worked to get me a new room for my second night so I could sleep.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the air conditioners.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to share your outstanding comments on the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our artwork throughout the property, which is truly museum quality. Your remarks stating that "rooms are beautiful, pool nice and the workout room has good machines" are greatly appreciated. Next time, please try our indoor pool and whirlpool room, located right next to the fitness facility. I'm sorry that the outside air conditioners were noisy, however happy to hear that our staff was able to provide a new room for your second night.
Thank you for choosing Buffalo Thunder and for your thoughtful feedback.

All the Best

2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I was very disappointed in the week I stayed at this hotel. I understand that it's recently come under new management, and that a lot of money has been invested in this location, but here is a list of issues that I had during my stay:
- The power went out no less than three times
- The wifi was spotty, which was a minor annoyance for surfing and email but made downloads and streaming impossible
- The buffet was expensive enough to keep most people away, which resulted in food that didn't move and got stale
- The water was hard and poorly treated. None of the water on the first floor was treated at all. The stuff that came out of the fountains was white and cloudy.
- Room maintenance was very poor. The door to my bathroom had a gaping hole where a doorstop per had been torn out. It was just painted over. Additionally, one of the curtain rods was torn out of its anchors and left un-mended.

On the bright side, the staff were well trained. I won't be returning.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
I want to personally thank you for sharing details about your stay with us. I understand guest room presentation and amenities were of concern, and assure you that we will use your feedback to improve. I will be sure to pass the kind words regarding our staff along to our team. I hope you will give us another chance to offer authentic Hilton hospitality when you return to the area. Thank you!
Hayesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I attended a convention at the Buffalo Thunder Hilton Resort. You have to walk a long ways to your room but you did not have to wait for an elevator, which is a major problem at most conventions. WiFi was sketchy in our room but was available down by the checkin desk. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff really worked to make sure we were happy. The food in the restaurants was above most resort hotels, while feeding a crowd. The only meal that I ate that I did not like was their Italian buffet. The chicken and lamb was overcooked. But the staff really worked to get the food out timely, which is often a problem when attending a convention, where we all eat at the same time.
I left a sweater at one of the banquets, it was turned in, and Lost and Found was fantastic in helping me retrieve my sweater. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area. Unfortunately, I did not win in the casino so it may be some time before I get back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators if you don't feel up to a hike!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Howie,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your October stay at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm not sure what convention you were attending, however it was great to see that you recognized our "fantastic staff, comfortable rooms and rapid elevators". I have also shared the story regarding your lost sweater and that it was turned in a returned to you by our Lost & Found Department.
As the new General Manager for this property, I can assure you that your comments provide the feedback that we need to offer an even higher level of service that you were so kind to point out.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We found this Hilton to be clean and quiet. We really enjoyed watching the sun set from our balcony. There are plenty of restaurant choices on site, and nice workout room. We liked it so much we stayed for two nights instead of one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!