“Great place to stay and fantastic staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit
Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Hayesville, North Carolina
“Great place to stay and fantastic staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I attended a convention at the Buffalo Thunder Hilton Resort. You have to walk a long ways to your room but you did not have to wait for an elevator, which is a major problem at most conventions. WiFi was sketchy in our room but was available down by the checkin desk. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff really worked to make sure we were happy. The food in the restaurants was above most resort hotels, while feeding a crowd. The only meal that I ate that I did not like was their Italian buffet. The chicken and lamb was overcooked. But the staff really worked to get the food out timely, which is often a problem when attending a convention, where we all eat at the same time.
I left a sweater at one of the banquets, it was turned in, and Lost and Found was fantastic in helping me retrieve my sweater. I would definitely stay here again if I was in the area. Unfortunately, I did not win in the casino so it may be some time before I get back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators if you don't feel up to a hike!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hal L, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear Howie,
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your October stay at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder. I'm not sure what convention you were attending, however it was great to see that you recognized our "fantastic staff, comfortable rooms and rapid elevators". I have also shared the story regarding your lost sweater and that it was turned in a returned to you by our Lost & Found Department.
As the new General Manager for this property, I can assure you that your comments provide the feedback that we need to offer an even higher level of service that you were so kind to point out.

Hal Leonard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We found this Hilton to be clean and quiet. We really enjoyed watching the sun set from our balcony. There are plenty of restaurant choices on site, and nice workout room. We liked it so much we stayed for two nights instead of one.

Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent 3 nights at Buffalo Thunder in early October. The golf course and grounds are beautiful. The hotel and casino was just as gorgeous. All of the staff that we encountered were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was huge with beautiful decorating and a large bathroom with one of the largest showers I've ever seen! There were several restaurants and gift shops to occupy your time and then there is the casino...lots of slots and table games. One of the best restaurants was located in the casino. Try the green chili stew...mmmmm good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The property, people and food and more than we expected.

Wonderful room with a Kiva Fireplace and balcony overlooking the pool area. We ordered room service and a bottle of wine and enjoy the evening.

A must stay

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights after visiting ABQ for the balloons. I advanced purchased a junior suite about 4 months ago. Wanted to stay away from the city for some quiet. We tried to check in around 2PM becasue we had both gotten sick and felt terrible and were told none of the suites were ready. Came back around 4 and got our room. The room was nice with a bedroom and living area and gas fireplaces in both , along with a nice balcony. I was not happy that our view was of the parking lot and we overlooked the noisy air conditioners of the casino. I thought I should have gotten a nicer view since I had pre-booked and paid so many months before. It was just too noisy on the balcony to relax. The room was very clean and nicely decorated, though starting to get a little shabby. Strings hanging on the sofa, wobbly arm on the chair, finishes in bathroom starting to rub off. We had a couple of drinks at the bar and went down to the casino. Casino was very smokey, which we just aren't used to. Had a couple of more drinks at the Turquoise Trail , some wings and nachos. Food just ok. Bartender just plain inhospitable. Never greeted us, just threw a couple of napkins on the bar. Asked about anyone teaching gambling on the floor, didn't know. I wouldn't go here again. Thought I was going to get some peace and quiet away from the downtown area and it just didn't happen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type and the type of view you were looking for. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. Also, I do apologize if your room was not up to your expectations. I have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping staff and have already taken care of the sofa, chair and finishes in the bathroom. Your feedback is very important to us as we constantly strive to offer our guests an exceptional stay. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let me begin on a good note. The hotel is very pretty and my room was wonderful! I stayed in the single king room with fireplace. I was expecting a single room with 1 fireplace but when my husband I got there it was a junior suite! The living room area has a gas fireplace and access to a wonderful balcony. The bedroom had an additional gas fireplace and a very comfortable king sized bed. The décor was beautiful and everything was fresh and clean (read: no bedbugs, no weird hairs in my towel, nothing on the floor, and windows were clean … thank you cleaning staff!). Our bathroom even had a vanity and chair to do makeup! Lovely!

We went to dinner at the Red Sage restaurant. We had the cheese appetizer which was wonderful and I ordered the buffalo tenderloin and my husband the beef filet. My steak was underdone but my husband’s was great. The meal was nice but over-priced. The bill should have been around $75 for the quality of food not above $100. However, the hostess was wonderful and accommodating and our server was friendly and polite.

I did have a few issues with the staff though. When booking my room over the phone, I paid $4 for "the buffet for 2 and access to WIFI". When we checked in the attendant didn't give us any vouchers or even mention the buffet. We assumed (now I know we shouldn't have) that we could a) choose when to go to the buffet and b) that we could just tell the buffet staff and give them our room number to take advantage of the 'buffet for 2". We checked out around 10:40am the next morning and then mentioned to the attendant that we were going to go the breakfast buffet. She then said she would have to change our vouchers from the dinner buffet. We didn't have any vouchers to change. With a attitude, she wrote up some breakfast vouchers and told us to "hurry up cause they are going to close in 13 minutes". Well we did hurry (run) to the buffet just to grab a plate of something and low and behold they were closed, cleaned, and no one was around. As we were leaving, we walked right by the attendant that was rude to us and she said nothing. I was so upset, we just left. I think that attendants name was Stacy. I realize that because of the location of the hotel it is difficult to find staff who understands true hospitality. I would recommend more staff trainings and supervisor supervision of staff to teach them what is expected.

As for the WIFI, no pass code was given to us upon arrival so we called to get it. The whole process was confusing and completely not worth it.

Our room was the best aspect of our stay. It was beautiful, well kept, and quiet! The gas fireplaces were wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace and a view of the pool!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your junior suite – we are very proud of these rooms! Your feedback regarding our restaurant staff will be passed along to our great team. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with our front desk team and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.
WALSENBURG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed the weekend at Buffalo Thunder Hilton Hotel. It is a beautiful property with a large casino, indoor and outdoor pools, starbucks and a wonderful breakfast buffet and more! It was pricey about 275/night and 60/breakfast for 4. It was very comfortable yet cool in our room. The only heat source is a gas fireplace. The suite has great views and two private verandas.
It is far enough from city to be quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the elevators if walking long distances is an issue. The place is very large wi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!