“Clean,nice room” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
MA
“Clean,nice room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights after visiting ABQ for the balloons. I advanced purchased a junior suite about 4 months ago. Wanted to stay away from the city for some quiet. We tried to check in around 2PM becasue we had both gotten sick and felt terrible and were told none of the suites were ready. Came back around 4 and got our room. The room was nice with a bedroom and living area and gas fireplaces in both , along with a nice balcony. I was not happy that our view was of the parking lot and we overlooked the noisy air conditioners of the casino. I thought I should have gotten a nicer view since I had pre-booked and paid so many months before. It was just too noisy on the balcony to relax. The room was very clean and nicely decorated, though starting to get a little shabby. Strings hanging on the sofa, wobbly arm on the chair, finishes in bathroom starting to rub off. We had a couple of drinks at the bar and went down to the casino. Casino was very smokey, which we just aren't used to. Had a couple of more drinks at the Turquoise Trail , some wings and nachos. Food just ok. Bartender just plain inhospitable. Never greeted us, just threw a couple of napkins on the bar. Asked about anyone teaching gambling on the floor, didn't know. I wouldn't go here again. Thought I was going to get some peace and quiet away from the downtown area and it just didn't happen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Evan F, Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type and the type of view you were looking for. Our front desk department goes through a lengthy process each day to ensure that our guests receive exactly the room expected, however at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. Also, I do apologize if your room was not up to your expectations. I have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping staff and have already taken care of the sofa, chair and finishes in the bathroom. Your feedback is very important to us as we constantly strive to offer our guests an exceptional stay. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again

970 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Let me begin on a good note. The hotel is very pretty and my room was wonderful! I stayed in the single king room with fireplace. I was expecting a single room with 1 fireplace but when my husband I got there it was a junior suite! The living room area has a gas fireplace and access to a wonderful balcony. The bedroom had an additional gas fireplace and a very comfortable king sized bed. The décor was beautiful and everything was fresh and clean (read: no bedbugs, no weird hairs in my towel, nothing on the floor, and windows were clean … thank you cleaning staff!). Our bathroom even had a vanity and chair to do makeup! Lovely!

We went to dinner at the Red Sage restaurant. We had the cheese appetizer which was wonderful and I ordered the buffalo tenderloin and my husband the beef filet. My steak was underdone but my husband’s was great. The meal was nice but over-priced. The bill should have been around $75 for the quality of food not above $100. However, the hostess was wonderful and accommodating and our server was friendly and polite.

I did have a few issues with the staff though. When booking my room over the phone, I paid $4 for "the buffet for 2 and access to WIFI". When we checked in the attendant didn't give us any vouchers or even mention the buffet. We assumed (now I know we shouldn't have) that we could a) choose when to go to the buffet and b) that we could just tell the buffet staff and give them our room number to take advantage of the 'buffet for 2". We checked out around 10:40am the next morning and then mentioned to the attendant that we were going to go the breakfast buffet. She then said she would have to change our vouchers from the dinner buffet. We didn't have any vouchers to change. With a attitude, she wrote up some breakfast vouchers and told us to "hurry up cause they are going to close in 13 minutes". Well we did hurry (run) to the buffet just to grab a plate of something and low and behold they were closed, cleaned, and no one was around. As we were leaving, we walked right by the attendant that was rude to us and she said nothing. I was so upset, we just left. I think that attendants name was Stacy. I realize that because of the location of the hotel it is difficult to find staff who understands true hospitality. I would recommend more staff trainings and supervisor supervision of staff to teach them what is expected.

As for the WIFI, no pass code was given to us upon arrival so we called to get it. The whole process was confusing and completely not worth it.

Our room was the best aspect of our stay. It was beautiful, well kept, and quiet! The gas fireplaces were wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace and a view of the pool!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your junior suite – we are very proud of these rooms! Your feedback regarding our restaurant staff will be passed along to our great team. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with our front desk team and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.
WALSENBURG
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed the weekend at Buffalo Thunder Hilton Hotel. It is a beautiful property with a large casino, indoor and outdoor pools, starbucks and a wonderful breakfast buffet and more! It was pricey about 275/night and 60/breakfast for 4. It was very comfortable yet cool in our room. The only heat source is a gas fireplace. The suite has great views and two private verandas.
It is far enough from city to be quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a room near the elevators if walking long distances is an issue. The place is very large wi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Recently stayed here for the second time for a convention. Very nice hotel provides great beds for quality sleep. Decent food & bar. Casino. But this hotel is useless as the internet & cell service here is basically like Nicaragua 10 years ago.........useless. This is 2012 almost 2013 in america these services are easy to get this hotel is on my "do not use list" until they step up and join the rest of the world providing connections to their guests.......let along charging $9.95 for wireless that simply does not work.

Room Tip: Do not stay if you need to conduct business.....only stay for leisure. No usable internet or cell s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have stayed at this property and Homewood Suites several times and are Hilton Gold. Previously had fair experiences but this last time friends and us were most disappointed in overall experience with unconcerned, less than friendly staff and personnel. Room cleaning suboptimal as well. Experience also was not aided by the fact that a deli hamburger had bone in it and cracked a crown when I bit down. We gave all the information to security/front desk manager immediately as well as pieces/pictures of broken crown. Because their insurance is through the Indian reservation we have had no end of hassle. The hotel itself and manager made no offer for any type of amenity at the time either. Extremely poor response to a substantial problem. And I have sent emails to hotel itself and Hilton Honors with absolutely NO response which has compounded our dissatisfaction. Several friends had stayed there on our recommendation and with poor service for them as well, will not be returning. We will be going back to Marriott.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Chilepepa, Director of Sales at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. I sincerely apologize for the dining situation you experienced and will be reaching out to help resolve this issue further. Thank you once again for your comments.
Ft. Worth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband took me for our second anniversary as last minute surprise to NW. He found this hotel with great price in priceline. It is a beautiful resort, the lobby is full of arts craft and painting from the differents tribes from the area. The first impression at the register counter was not that good. While the front desk was getting my reservation. i mentioned it was our anniversary. he did not acknowledge. I even mentioned that it was my first time in NW. He kept looking into the computer got the keys out and told us where the elevator was to get to the room. Very dissapointed of his welcomimg. The next day we were heading to downtown Santa fe and encounter the concierge who she was very pleaseant and helpful. About the facilities the indoor pool and jacuzzi where excellent and clean. The outdoor pool was under construction which was ok. It was windy to be outside by the pool. The equipment at the gym was equiped with good and enough machines to do a good workout and offered towels and tvs on each machine. The casino was fun, but dont expect to win unless you spend a lot of money. I was not impress with the breakfast buffet serve at the MICA restaurant for the price. The parrot buffet that we read it was great ( also not impress). It was not that many people eating at dinner time so, most of the food was dried for being place under lamp for so long. On the other hand the gift shop was pricey, but the ladies helping were very charming. The lobby bar did not have great variety of wines. The room was clean, nice decoration, but the mini refrigerator in room was out of service. i would recomended to stay, make sure that dont pay regular prices and look for good deals throught the different websites, due is not worth pay regular prices for the room. I was dissapponted that for a Hilton the food was not good at all and the front desk was not at the high queality that i was used to.

Room Tip: Make sure that dont pay regular prices, look first on priceline, trvalocity and other website and co...
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Nice Hotel It is in a great city. The Hotel is realy nice,staff was very good.The food here was marginal,We had the buffet breakfast,it was ok ,but the price very high 42$,for average breakfast,no spice whatsoever.I would eat in Sante Fe.The gammbling was ok ,very smoky,in most places,slots were very tight.

Room Tip: make early reservations for a price break!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder? Share your experiences!