“Excellent value in the heart of a beautiful city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
'Tis the Season-Save 25%
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Commack, New York
“Excellent value in the heart of a beautiful city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Conveniently located in the heart of Sante Fe and about 1/2 mile from Canyon Road, the Plaza Real stands out immediately upon entering the lobby. If you are looking for the slick, trendy elegance of the W, this hotel is probably not for you. However, if stepping back in time through architecture that blends perfectly with the surroundings, offers a cozy warm ambiance and is managed by a staff that comes across as family is your aim; then the Plaza Real is an excellent choice.

The rooms, which line a beautiful court yard and are accessible by walkup above the first floor, are comfortable and offer a separate sitting area as well as a wet bar with refrigerator. There is a fire place in the sitting area along with a comfortable sofa and writing desk. The sleeping area which is offset from the sitting room is very comfortable and contains a large exceptionally comfortable bed. The bathroom as well as the remainder of the room was clean and well maintained. Free WiFi is available in the room as well as in the lobby and the lounge.

The staff truly stands out as exceptional. Most respectable hotels can claim competent and well trained, polite staff, but the team at the Plaza Real had that certain something that is hard to put into words. Although I had just met them upon registration I felt like I knew these folks for a long time. They were not only extremely knowledgeable, but genuine and always there to help or offer a suggestion when an inquiry required such. A staff member will come to your room and start a live fire in the fire place within a short period after you make a request with the front desk. I just can't say enough good things about this team.

I live in a heavily populated island off the Northeast Coast of the USA and am used to applying a somewhat calloused and critical criteria to hotel evaluation. In my opinion many hotels are grossly overpriced, and leave a lot left to be desired for your travel dollar. In contrast I'm extremely pleased to serve up such a positive review for the Plaza Real, not only because it is well deserved but because my spouse and I spent Christmas here and it has turned out to be an absolutely wonderful memory.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Panhandle TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

I chose the Hotel Plaza Real for my Christmas get-away. I made the right choice. The Staff, [especially Rachel and Michael] was extremely cordial and made every attempt to accommodate my requests. The location was perfect for my needs. My room was very spacious and quiet and the fireplace in my living room was a real treat. I will surely book this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!!
The hotel staff was the friendliest, most genuine group of folks you could hope for.
Located 5 mins from town center, quiet and convenient location, and free shuttle.
We stayed in a suite with a fireplace and a king size sleep number bed and slept great.
Big Smiles. We'll be back!
-Joe & Connie in NC

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

We've stayed here many, many times because of the great location within walking distance of almost everything downtown and the ample free parking. Rooms are nice sized and clean, and the staff are very helpful. I wish they would remodel the rooms to update them and make them less dark. I wouldn't hesitate to continue to stay there, but the rooms could use a facelift.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
HPR_Rooms_Manager, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
Thanks for your feedback as it is the only way we can improve. While we have a strong reputation for outstanding service and location, we will utilize your comments as we prepare to update our guest rooms in 2011.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I traveled to Santa Fe for the first (but not last) time for Thanksgiving to meet up with my parents from Houston and my sister, brother in law and nephew from Denver. The accomodations are not luxurious but are quiet adequate and all the staff are very friendly and helpful.

This review is not about the hotel. It's all about Jessie's, the bar/lounge where they have a wood fired brick oven for cooking pizzas along with other tasty items.

The real star of the show is Alex V, my new best friend in Santa Fe. He has been a mixologist for a long time (Google him if you want). He makes his own special bitters/concotions/potions that he blends with other spirits/liquors/wine. Most of the drinks he prepared for me were custom made on the spot and they were all suprising, complex, and very tasty. I could go on and on, but I will just leave it up to you to go and discover it yourself.

There is no formal restaurant yet, but I hear they are planning on adding one above the bar area next year. For now the pizza oven will keep your belly happy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Two hotels are closer to the Plaza, but they are much more expensive. The Plaza Real has no restaurant (coffee in the room and the lobby), so it was wonderful to be able to stroll a short distance to many restaurants, as well as to the museums and shops of central Santa Fe. They do serve food in the bar at night. Our junior suite was on the first floor, by the street, but completely quiet. We liked the fireplace and enjoyed a fire several times. There could be better lighting, but otherwise the rooms are clean, attractively decorated in Santa Fe furniture and art, and comfortable. We had a very functional thermostat and cozy covers. The desk staff were ALL very helpful and congenial, as was Alex, the creative bartender. We used the free wifi a lot. I really liked the indoor/outdoor layout of the place, and the underground parking. I also liked that they accept dogs, not because we had any, but they were nice to see in the lobby. The hotel contributed to our very relaxing five days in Santa Fe.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Clovis, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

From the friendly staff, the beautiful grounds, the proximity to the Plaza and walking distance to the best restaurants in town, everything about the Plaza Hotel Real exceeded my expectations!
My job requires me to travel a lot. I have stayed in many motels and hotels across the country and I would have to rate the Hotel Plaza Real as one of the best places I have stayed to date. Everyone that works here really goes out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and having a great time. The front desk will make dining reservations for you. Truly high class upscale service, made me feel like a foreign diplomat!!!

Free Starbucks coffee made fresh every morning.
Free firewood for the fireplace in your room (not all rooms have fireplaces.)
The bar in the lobby has fabulous New Mexico style brick oven pizzas that were absolutely delicious.

The only reason I gave the rooms a 3 out of 5 is because they are a little dated but I was informed by the General Manager that they will be remodeling them soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!