“Amazing location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Shop 'til You Drop
Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

There could not be a better location in Santa Fe. Located in the center of things, you never need use of a car. Actually the traffic congestion is a bit overwhelming, so stay on foot or bike. The staff could not be friendlier, including there affection toward my dog. yes, they allow dogs, with a fee, but nothing outrageous.

My room was on the street level, which I thought would be an issue, but it was not. The only thing was, I could not really open the curtains, as people were walking by. The decor was Santa Fe, as expected. There televisions, well let's just say they were not flat screens. My room entered through a beautiful courtyeard, had a small table and chair, and did have a small living room too. Yes dogs are allowed, however, there was some barking going on. My dog is pretty quiet, but when other dogs start, it was a bit of a drag. This was not an issue in the evening at all though. A few drawbacks: VERY small bathroom and no coffee in am. When I say small bathroom, I mean small for one person.

there is no restaurant, however, a great bar connected and they have a wonderful front porch where you can enjoy food and drink. Additionally, the dog was permitted in both these areas. A huge plus.

I would stay here again! I have stayed at the El Dorardo in the past, and liked this much more! The El Dorado was more of a conventiony type hotel. This was much more enjoyable. I should also mentioned, I used hotels tonight app. to obtain this room at an amazing rate. If your willing to wait until noon the day of stay, it is a great deal. I stayed an extra day, and they gave me the same rate without reserving it again on the site. Very nice.

Room Tip: You may want to stay on an upper floor to enjoy view??
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Jesse W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear jbmissner,
I'm so glad you found the location of our hotel to be convenient for your travel needs. Costumer service is very important to us so we appreciate your feedback and I will address your suggestion immediately. We are currently working on most of the concerns you expressed so the next time you stay with us we hope it exceeds your expectations. We are proudly a dog friendly hotel and I am so glad you found the public areas a nice option to enjoy yourself with your dog! I'm glad you found a good rate and we look forward to your next visit with us!

Jesse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Seguin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Chimayo in June for a business trip, and this was my third time staying here. The rooms are not spectacular, but they are spacious and decorated in the spirit of the southwest. It is a great value, especially for State or Federal employees - be sure to ask about the government rate - they honor the US per diem scale, which is wonderful.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Jesse W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Katie S.
Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your stay with us. I am glad you were able to utilize our great government rate and that you enjoyed the accommodations. We hope to see you again soon!

Roseville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The hotel was friendly and so were the staff. Nathan, front desk, gave us a complimentary upgraded room and it was amazingly spacious. The beds were very comfortable. Andrew, porter, brought our luggage to our room and was kind and very social. Whenever we asked for assistance the response was quick and helpful. The only items we suggest giving attention are the bathroom faucets and windows.

• Stayed August 2014
Jesse W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear Carriepitkin,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and are currently in the process of replacing the windows and faucets. I am so glad the staff treated you well and that enjoyed the accommodations. We hope to see you again soon!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

When we go to Santa Fe, we stay in town about a week prior to staying at a spa outside the town, to be able to walk to most of the attractions and dine at the downtown restaurants.

This was our first visit to the Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe and we were so pleased we will return next year.

We have stayed in many Santa Fe hotels, from the most costly to a few moderately priced ones. Although most have good service, there are things that set this hotel apart.

First, it is the location. You cannot get a better location in Santa Fe. The downtown square steps away.

Second, there is convenient underground parking (complimentary). Santa Fe downtown is one of the most difficult towns to find a place to park, so this is a real amenity.

Third, there is a spacious veranda at the front of the hotel with many comfortable chairs and tables where you can relax and read or enjoy a beverage from the bar. Weather in Santa Fe is unpredictable and, as an example, this year in late July there was a thunderstorm complete with lightening and a downpour of rain: pea sized hail covered the ground. Sitting on the veranda was the perfect place to stay dry and watch the storm pass.

Fourth, there are shuttles that take guests to other areas of town and shuttles to and from the opera. Not all hotels offer this service. ***By the way, do not miss the Santa Fe Opera***

We always stay in DOG FRIENDLY hotels, whether or not we travel with our dogs. This is a DOG FRIENDLY HOTEL. Many in Santa Fe are not.

The staff is friendly and eager to help, from suggestions on places to go, restaurants, etc.

The bar is lively at night, but the music does not reach the rooms. They offer a wide selection of locally brewed beers.

Soon there should be a new restaurant upstairs from the bar, with a patio and a view of downtown.

Rooms are spacious and the decor is the Santa Fe adobe. The beds, linens and pillows are top notch. Note: the tv's do not have a dvd player.

We thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night stay and plan to return next year.

Room Tip: Elevator access is limited in several areas due to the historic structure. There are a few rooms whe...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin,tx
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The hotel is immediately off of the square in SF. If you can walk another 100 feet you will save some money. The rooms are nice New Mexico style. Some criticism is that TV's are old. That did not bother me because I did not come to SF to sit in my room and watch TV. I did enjoy the decor, the friendliness of the staff and the convenient location. Parking at $18 /day is a little rough on the budget, but that is what hotels charge. The bathroom in our suite was on the small side. The bedroom was very plush, the bed very comfortable and the decorticating left no doubt you were in New Mexico. If you want super luxury, go next door - just don't forget to bring your wallet. Otherwise, this hotel represents a good value in a destination city.

Room Tip: The air conditioning is a central system. If you are hot, turn the thermostat way down. It does n...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jesse W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Austin720,
Thank you so much for your recent stay with us at Hotel Chimayo, and the feedback on your experience. We are glad you enjoyed the decor of our New Mexico themed rooms, and the great location near the Plaza. We hope to see you the next time you visit Santa Fe!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite with a living room and kitchenette. It was perfect for our girls' trip--we'd play all day, then spend a quiet evening together in the living room (with wine and a bag of kettle corn from the vendor in the plaza). The only time I heard another guest was when the man next door had a loud sneezing fit. I didn't even know he was there until the sneezes happened. The bed was very comfortable and loaded with pillows that were of varying firmness. I skipped the Saturday early morning trip to the farmer's market because I didn't want to get up! My only complaint is that the shower was really disappointing because the water pressure was low and the rain shower head emitted tiny little streams that were far apart. I think I ended up using way more water than I usually do because it took so long to shower and wash my hair. However, the luxurious bed far outweighed the pitiful shower, so I am happy with my stay at Hotel Chimayo.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear SPL49,
Thank you for taking the time to review your trip in Santa Fe. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the accommodations were well suited for the girls trip. We have addressed the issue with the shower pressure in the room you stayed in, so the next time you visit us it will be up to the standards of the hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We had a mix-up on the date of our last night in our Santa Fe Vacation Rental and needed a nice hotel room quickly. We booked at Hotel De Chimayo over Hotwire. When I read the very mixed reviews, I was apprehensive. But we were very pleased with this historic hotel near the Plaza. Here's the deal: if you want a hotel that feels sharp, new and modern--meaning large bathrooms, flat screen TV, new furniture and clean lines, sparkling and light airiness, etc. then this is not your hotel. This hotel, however, has more than adequate beds (clean, comfortable with good bedding), cozy decor, enough room (we had a small suite) and appealing color scheme. The location is fabulous, the staff very warm and helpful and to top it off there is access to a parking garage for 16$ a night. My family was very pleased and more than comfortable. If you want a bit of history, comfort, an incredible location and you don't mind that the decor isn't completely modern, this is a wonderful place and a very good deal.

Room Tip: I would get a suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Doran S,
I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We appreciate your feedback, and are looking at ways to update our accommodations while staying in our northern New Mexico theme. We hope to see you again at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe!

Jesse

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!