“Very clean and comfortable and location is EVERYTHING” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Austin Texas
“Very clean and comfortable and location is EVERYTHING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We found the Hotel Chimayo at the last moment on Hotels tonight app and I got an awesome rate. It is located in the heart of the historic downtown. We were within walking distance of almost everything! the only surprise we had was we found out the we were on the second floor and I had to drag the suitcases up one flight of stairs. I would have given a 5 star rating but the suitcases were not easy to get to the room. The advantage of being on the second story is our room had a small patio that was perfect for viewing the night skies. Front desk was friendly and most helpful and there is a small bar just off the lobby. There is a parking garage so your vehicle will not be out on the street overnight.

Room Tip: 1st floor no stairs but you dont get a balcony, second floor has stairs but you DO get a balcony. Ch...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lornem
Jesse W, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear lornem,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Chimayo. I'm very glad it was easy to book and you enjoyed your accommodations. The way our property is designed we do have many rooms that require stairs. For your next visit with us, if you would like the balcony, let us know and we would be happy to assist you with your luggage to your room. We do have someone here 24 hours to help. We hope to see you again soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel many, many times. It used to be called Plaza Real. We always enjoyed it because of excellent service and great location. This trip, however, was very disappointing.

Upon check-in we learned that the hotel's restaurant was closed and had been for sometime. Their website still shows they have a restaurant. Strike 1!

The hotel has its own parking garage, which is a real plus (even at $16 per night) because downtown Santa Fe parking is terrible. Upon returning to the hotel on the second night, we find the parking garage full! When we complained, we were told that they were sorry, but that the staff also used the garage and there are only 42 spaces available and we would have to find a place on the street. Strike 2!

The hotel bar had such a bad guitarist/singer that we had drinks next door rather than endure the sound. The guy had his guitar case on the floor like a street entertainer working for tips. I don't mind tipping good entertainment, but this was very unprofessional. Strike 3!

Oh, and the towels were very worn.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jogjr
Dear jogjr,
Thank you for your reviewing your stay with us. I apologize for the issues you encountered during your visit. We are looking to resolve these as soon as possible. We have updated the restaurant information on our website to reflect the closer. As far as the parking procedure, I'm so sorry you were not given an alternative when the lot was full. We do have a procedure that ensures the guests never have to deal with street, or any other parking while staying with us, and I will follow up why that was not offered to you. It is absolutely not OK for the employees to be taking up spaces in the garage and we are implementing new procedures on monitoring this. We do have a new bar manager that is making lots of positive changes in the Low 'n Slow Bar as far as entertainment. We appreciate your feedback and if you ever want to give Hotel Chimayo another chance, we would love the opportunity to make it up to you.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

First the good: clean,convenient to Plaza, third night free makes it more reasonable. The rest: four women ages 57-85 reserved a junior suite plus adjoining room. Coffee machine but paper cups rationed; dishwasher and 2 burner stove but no dishes, cookware, or silverware. Only drink machine for employees and not accessible by guests; restaurant shown on website was closed. Window in living area wouldn't close and bathroom doors stuck badly; reported but never fixed. Floors wonky; staff not personable or overly helpful. The purported boarding pass printing service for guests turned out to be self-serve instead of employee service. Most lighting barely functional. Heating and a/c reported to be accessible for guests to set; what they don't tell you ahead of time is that they set the entire facility to either heat or a/c at their whim after which guests may choose their comfort level from within those parameters. If you are looking for $16. Per night parking on premises and a convenient and clean facility regardless of the deficiencies this may be a good choice for you.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Dollyhome
Dear Dollyhome,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. I'm glad you received one of our best promotions and that the location was convenient for your party. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I am looking into the issues you encountered and we are working on getting them resolved. If you return to the area we hope you will give Hotel Chimayo another chance and please let me know if I can do anything to further assist you.

Oakland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend and received a room upgrade which made our vacation even better! Lovely room, helpful desk staff, and obviously a great housekeeping staff as well. Suite was huge, well decorated, comfortable, fireplaces, balconies! Loved the Frette linens and the Gilchrist & Soames soaps/shampoo/lotions. The location alone would make it an excellent place to stay. So much within easy walking distance! If my husband gets tired he can go back to the room while I tour museums, art galleries, shops, art fairs, shop at the Native American vendors, etc. Also plenty of terrific restaurants within an easy walk. No need to fight the traffic. The front desk staff helped me locate supplies to send a package back home. No reason to stay anywhere else. Also, Hotel Chimayo has an on-site bar.

Room Tip: Prices here are considerably less than other hotels within walking distance of the Plaza. So, go ah...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Excelemv
Dear Excelemv,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Hotel Chimayo based on your previous stay with us. I am very glad you enjoyed the hotel as well as what we have to offer in the area. It is our pleasure we were able to give you an upgraded room and I am so happy you enjoyed the accommodations. We hope to see you again soon!

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Hotel Chimayo for a 4-day work trip. Hotel is very nice and fits well with Santa Fe's theme. Rooms are spacious and amenities are average. Prices are reasonable and clean-factor was Ok. Location is great. Very central to Santa Fe's happening area.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank NJA-TA
Dear NJA-TA,
Thank you for your feedback on Hotel Chimayo. We are glad you enjoyed the decor and location of our property. We hope you choose to stay with us again when returning to the area.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My teenage daughter and I went to Santa Fe for a long weekend and I wanted to stay in a hotel that would embody the spirit of Santa Fe - not a big chain hotel. After researching dozens of hotels I decided on this one, based on the location, the atmosphere, and the price, which I felt was a great value.

We drove to Santa Fe and, upon arriving, it was a bit challenging to find a place to park to just to check in but then we were shown where the hotel garage was and, from that point, only used our car once during our stay. There is an additional daily fee for parking but that was the only add-on to our room rate.

I would say the top features of this hotel are definitely the location, character, and cleanliness. The location simply can't be beat for the price - within easy walking distance to all the major attractions in Santa Fe. Also, I am a bit queasy about hotel hygiene but felt very comfortable in this one.

The main downside, which was a 'biggie', was that I had reserved a room with two double beds but ended up with a suite with one king-sized bed. I had even called a couple of days before my trip to confirm our reservation and make sure we got a room with two beds. As soon as I realized we had a room with one king bed I asked to be moved and was told they did not have any more rooms available with two double beds. Major disappointment since I am a light sleeper and my daughter kicks a lot in her sleep! The service desk offered to give us bed linens so we could use the fold out sofa/bed but the cushions on that were hardly comfortable for sleeping. The hotel did "comp" us by waiving the daily parking fee but that still didn't make up for several nights of poor sleep.

The room itself was nice and had fun, local character, It would have been great if not for the major mistake of only having one bed. The bathroom area is tiny, tiny. The toilet/bathtub room is barely large enough to turn around in and the sink countertop was very crowded. We definitely had to take turns using that area but it was, again, very clean. It was nice having a separate living area, which was spacious. The wet bar with fridge also came in handy.

Would I stay there again? I'm not sure I trust them to get my reservation right. Since it is a small boutique hotel, there aren't a lot of alternate options if they get your room wrong.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Brazilchild
Dear Brazilchild,
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here at Hotel Chimayo, as well as our location. Cleanliness is extremely important to us, so we appreciate you letting us know it was up to your standards. I'm so sorry you did not receive the room type your reservation was booked for, I can imagine this is very frustrating. If you return to Santa Fe we hope you choose to give us another chance to make it up to you. I would be happy to personally ensure you receive the correct accommodations. Please let me know if I can do anything to further assist you.

Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

In early May 2014, we traveled from OKC to Las Vegas (NV), and decided to stop over in Santa Fe for a day to rest and see the sights.

We selected Hotel Chimayo based on the many wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and the proximity to the Plaza. We were not disappointed in the least. Just steps away from amazing dining options, museums and shopping.

Hotel Chimayo offers a very quaint and comfortable atmosphere. Everything from the staff to the wood burning fireplace we felt warm and welcome. Upon check-in, we were greeted with a map of the Plaza and recommendations to incredible dining options, as well as a local discount card to various eateries and shops. In early May, the weather was cool and rainy, so we were delighted to come back to our room with the option to warm-up by a blazing wood-burning fire. Please note: must request a staff member to start the fireplace. We requested this service twice during our two-night stay, and the request was responded to quickly.

The room (Oratorio Deluxe DLB Queen) is large and comfortable. A long hallway separates the two-room suite. The first room is spacious with a sofa, TV, wet bar (microwave & mini fridge) and a fireplace. The second room held two queen beds with luxurious bed linens, a TV and a chair/ottoman. My only small complaint was the bathroom, as it is a bit dated and small.

Overall, we had a grand experience in Santa Fe and if we decide to explore the area again, we will definitely stay at Hotel Chimayo.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Shanna G
Dear Shanna G.
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Hotel Chimayo. I am glad our agents referred you to dinning options you enjoyed in the area, and that your requests were attended to quickly. We appreciate your feedback, and I am looking into the options we have to improve our restroom space and amenities. We hope to see you again soon!

Jesse