“Where to stay in Santa Fe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Exclusive offer-Save 15%
Ranked #24 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
“Where to stay in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My wife, granddaughter and wanted to stay near the plaza on our visit to Santa Fe, and we couldn't have chosen a better place. Hotel Chimayo has accommodating service, large and well-furnished rooms, and is less than a block from the plaza. It doesn't offer breakfast, nor does it have a restaurants, but there are plenty of eating places within minutes of the hotel. It offers parking (indoor) at a reasonable cost ($16/day).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Max H, Regional AGM at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear lasomers,
I am so glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us in Santa Fe. We do hope to reopen the restaurant within the next few months. The staff and I look forward to having your family stay with us again on your next visit to Santa Fe.

575 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Farmington, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

This is one of the most convenient locations to stay in Santa Fe. I enjoy the boutique look of the hotel and while there are some parts I found slightly annoying, the pluses make up for it.

Hotel Chimayo is located right in the heart of the historical, downtown plaza of Santa Fe. There are museums, shopping, and restaurants not even a block away. The beds are comfortable and rooms clean. My boyfriend had originally booked a suite, but something unknown happened and we ended up in a junior suite, however, our room was fine. I appreciated the mood lighting, including the rustic chandelier. I was concerned at first that WiFi was advertised as only available in the lobby, but I had service in my room with no problem. The bathroom door is annoying as the bathroom is tiny, but it wasn't terribly difficult to close it. I was also uneasy when I read a review that the rooms have coffee makers, but no carafe. I discovered that the coffee-maker is suited for the disposable cups provided in the pantry area. I absolutely loved the balcony. My other concern was a traveler who had his or her car broken into in the underground parking lot, but we had no issues with this.

While only a personal obstacle at first, travelers should be aware that there are several flights of stairs, especially leading up to the second floor rooms. I have acute knee pain and was bothered at first because of a hike the first day we arrived. If you have any physical or health limits, be sure to book a lower floor.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would definitely come back!

Room Tip: Keep in mind the stairs if you have health or physical limits!
Dear PartTimeGypsy,
Thank you for your candid feedback and for your most recent visit with us. I am glad that you found the location to be very convenient. We advertise that Wi-Fi is available throughout the property. Please let me know where it was mentioned that we only provide Wi-Fi in the lobby so that I may change the verbiage. I am sorry that you were placed on the second floor. We would have been happy to have placed you on the first floor or provided other options to make your stay more enjoyable. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay and the hotel staff made sure of it. They were informative and helpful. The hotel has a very authentic Santa Fe feel and it was so much more meaningful to stay there and experience it. We brought our shih zsu dog and found a great open area within walking distance in front of the local courthouse to take him to recreate and "do his business". If you stay here, don't miss out on some great Northern Italian cuisine at Osteria!! Service was great and food was delectable. Enjoy Nuevo Mexico!

Dear Joy T,
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy that you found your new home away from home when visiting Santa Fe. I have shared your comments regarding the staff with them. We look forward to having you back as in the not so distant future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

A very nice smaller hotel right near the square. This is a short walk to Canyon Road and the great galleries. Also very convenient to the museums and top rated restaurants. The staff is extraordinarily nice and very accommodating. Some of the rooms have lovely fire places that they will make a nice fire for you. Would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Max H, General Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear M M,
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your most recent stay with us at the Hotel Chimayo. I am so happy to hear that the staff took good care of you and that you have found your hotel of choice when visiting Santa Fe. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the not so distant future.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

A very cute and not overpriced hotel just off the plaza in Santa Fe. Funkiest thing are all the crosses about the room: on the wall, framed photos... No coffee at the bar; otherwise, once little bar with a jazz duo, No restaurant at the hotel, but that isn't missed, as there are so many around the plaza and surrounding area. Great breakfast at Tia Sofia. Evangelino's bar nearby. The Shed for fish tacos.... A very enjoyable hotel. Free wi-fi

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear creative_iatrogenist,
Thank you for staying with us. The Hotel Chimayo and the décor reflect the town of Chimayo.
A lot of the décor for the rooms and lobby have been all been made by hand at Chimayo. I am glad that you enjoyed Low and Slow. I am apologize that the restaurant was not open for your visit this time but hope to have it back open soon. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Heritage Hotels and the Hotel Chimayo on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay last weekend at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe! The hotel is conveniently located just off the Plaza on Washington Ave. There are loads of charming shops to visit, restaurants to grab a bite to eat and beautiful scenery - all within walking distance of this hotel. We stayed in Room 124 - Deluxe King Suite. This room had a separate living area with a fireplace and wetbar with small refrigerator. There is a couch and a chair with an end table and a coffee table. The bed was very comfy with LOTS of pillows - which we loved! The vanity area (hairdryer in the cabinet) is separate from the shower/toilet room -- which was nice. In our room, the door to the toilet room was hard to shut (maintenance may want to check this out) There is also a small closet off the vanity area. There is a nice armoire with a tv in both the bedroom and the living room. There was no dresser, but the armoire in the living room had two drawers (maybe the hotel should consider switching the armoires around in this particular room). There were only TWO drawbacks to Room 124...the bedroom windows face the employee smoking area for the hotel and also it backs up to a shopping area parking lot. The employees talking outside your window can freak you out a bit and the daily trash truck pickup of the dumpster in the shopping area parking lot at oh-my-God-thirty in the morning was not too pleasant. HOWEVER, with that said - I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again, even in Room 124. Also, if you want soda -- bring it with you! There's a snack machine, but no soda machine - which is kind of odd. The staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and very helpful. Want a fire in your fireplace -- call the front desk. Between 3pm & 10pm - a houseman will deliver wood into your room and light the fire for you! Parking on-site is super easy. I think it was $15.00/day. It's underneath the hotel, so your vehicle is protected from the elements. There is an elevator to take you and your luggage to the lobby. The Low Rider Bar off the lobby is a nice little place. Drink prices were reasonable & the bartenders were friendly. Nice crowd of folks and never got too loud. There is a nice porch on the front of the hotel. I'm sure it would be wonderful on a warm summer night, but it was just too cold to sit out there on our trip. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Max H, General Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear mrsbip,
Thank you for staying with Heritage Hotels and The Hotel Chimayo. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for bringing up the issue regarding the employees smoking outside of your window. I have addressed this with the General Manager of the hotel next door. I have been told that this issue has been address. I am glad that you also had a good time at our Low Rider Bar. I look forward to you next visit to Santa Fe and your future stay back with us.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

We had a great weekend at the Chimayo! Staff is excellent, especially Jordan at the Front Desk, so friendly and gave great recommendations for all things Santa Fe. The hotel is beautiful, very clean and you cannot beat the location. I loved being able to park the car and leave it until it was time to check-out! I was a bit worried about the noise being close to the plaza and with a bar in the hotel but we slept great!! All the pillows on the beds are a nice touch, the beds were so very comfortable and wonderfully clean. There are tons of great restaurants and things to do within a 5 minute walk. I have stayed at many hotels, including recently at the Sheraton in another NM city and the service here is far better! We are already planning our next trip to Santa Fe and will be staying here again and again. Thank You Chimayo Staff

Room Tip: Double room have stairs but that was not a problem for us. Just good to know if you have any issues...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Max H, General Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear KarlaSmartTraveler,

Thank your staying with us and choosing Heritage Hotels and The Hotel Chimayo for your last visit to Santa Fe. I am glad that you found your current and future hotel of choice when visiting Santa Fe. I have shared your kind words with Jordan at the front desk. We do focus on trying to deliver the best service that we can, and I am glad that met yours expectations.
We look forward to welcoming back to The Hotel Chimayo for your next visit to Santa Fe.

Max

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!