“A Feel of the Past + Heritage” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Exclusive offer-Save 15%
Ranked #24 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A Feel of the Past + Heritage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Yes, it has a great off-the-Plaza, but really close location. Yes, you feel like you're living in the neighborhood of a bygone old western town. Yes, you feel safe and comfortable. This place transcends time. Stay here and you'll see. What you won't see is a lack of pride in upkeep. The unobtrusive staff is very diligent. Everything smells clean, looks clean, and feels clean, thanks in large part to the hard work of housekeeping staff members like Christina and Pedro among others. Adrian checked me in. Efficient, but more importantly, smiling seems to come easily for him.
...take in the heritage of the founding families when you visit the town of Chimayo.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Susan C, Interactive Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear ctefan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay with us. Our staff prides themselves on their courteous service and diligence, and I'm glad your experience reflected their wonderful work.

I will pass along your praise for Christina, Pedro and Adrian. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Santa Fe.

Susan C.

576 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Lee's Summit, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This hotel was good for us. It all just depends on what you expect from a hotel. This hotel had a great location and nice sized rooms. For the price, I'm not sure what else you can ask for. If you are more of a "hotel snob," you probably won't like the grade of towels, the tiny hair dryer, or the size of the bathroom. These things are kind of annoying to me, but it's nothing that would stop me from staying here again.

I've seen the parking mentioned in previous posts, so I'll comment about that. It is $16 per night, and the garage is tiny. When we checked in, all of the spots were full. I called, and the gentleman at the front desk explained that we could just pull to the front of the garage (this would block people in,) but they will take our keys and move our car into a space when one became available. If someone needed out, they had our keys. We were blocked in later in our trip, and the front desk was quick to move the vehicle blocking us in. I think this is a great solution to a small parking garage. Much better than having to find a spot on the street or walk from a public lot.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Ashley L

I'm glad you found our parking garage convenient, our staff efficient and our rooms well-sized for your stay. And, we love our location so close to the Plaza great, too! Thanks also for your feedback on our towels, hairdryer and bathroom.

We look forward to hosting you again when you next visit Santa Fe!

Susan C.
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Honestly, this was one of the best hotels I have stayed in. It is a very nice and comfortable hotel in a great location with a friendly staff. Unfortunately, $100 cash went missing from my room. When I informed the manager, he interviewed the staff but did not recover anything and encouraged me to file a police report. After writing some e-mails, I have been contacted by several hotel representatives that have been very helpful and are actively investigating my situation, but at the end of the day I am still out $100. I cannot be sure whether my money was misplaced or stolen. Just be advised if you choose to stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Susan C, Interactive Marketing Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear person1212,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of your recent stay with us at Hotel Chimayo. The situation you experienced here was extremely unfortunate, and we appreciate being able to work together with you to try to recover your property. Thank you for your cooperation. We appreciate your business.
Thank you also for your review of our location and staff. We hope you return to Santa Fe soon, and that you are willing to give us another chance.
Very truly yours,
Susie C.
Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We really enjoyed spending three nights at Hotel Chimayo in Santa Fe. Great location just a block from the square. Friendly, helpful staff. I've never before had a real live fire in a hotel room. Just request at the desk and a man will come lay a fire for you. They even fulfilled our request for a piñon wood fire! Southwestern decor galore, including yard long chile ristras, adorn the hotel. Stay here. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Adrian V, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Dear M J B,

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation and our fireplaces. Having the fireplaces helps us give a more authentic and intimate guest experience. On behalf of our staff I would like thank you for sharing your feedback and giving us the opportunity to have you as a guest. On your next trip please contact me personally and I would be more than happy to welcome you back to Santa Fe.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Centrally located. No easier place to stay when skiing Santa Fe. Fine dining all around. Great museum right across the street. Great bar w/ great art. 5-star Customer service from begin to end. Called for a fire and a gentlemen was there within 5 minutes. The rooms are big and clean, the beds are super comfy. We love Hotel Chimayo or as On-star GPS calls it, "Hotel CheeMayOhh" :-)

Room Tip: We generally get a King.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Adrian V, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear anneroseduenas,

Thank you so much for your review regarding your current visit at the Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe. We are sorry to hear that your Santa Fe trip started off bumpy but we are glad that you let us take care of you. I will be more than happy to share your kind words with Nathan, Carlos, Aurore and the rest of our staff. There is no better reward than a job well done. Thanks again for letting us take care of you and next time you come to visit Santa Fe give me a call and I will personally help you make your reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

The staff at Hotel Chimayo went above and beyond our expectations of excellent customer service.

The supervisor, Nathan, and his crew, Aurore and Carlos, were so helpful and courteous.

My sister and I had just landed at SAF municipal airport from a SFO-Denver-Santa Fe flight and had taken the Road Runner to Fort Marcy at 10:30pm.

However, we were stranded in the waiting room for over an hour until 11:30pm because there was no one at the front desk (Super Bowl Sunday could be to blame), so we decided to look for a nearby hotel. Plus they have this "call system" where the hotel telephone operator will give you a code to access the safe to get your hotel key, but obviously since no one was working at the time we were left to our own devices.

Hotel Chimayo came up in our search and we are so grateful for choosing this place. My sister and I were exhausted after waiting so long at Fort Marcy and from the minute we called Hotel Chimayo's front desk, everyone was ready to serve us.

Aurore answered the phone and we had told her our situation-immediately she got her supervisor, Nathan, to give us walking directions to their hotel.

But it gets even better; we had asked if it was possible for them to pick us up because of our luggage and Nathan had Carlos personally pick us up in his car to take us the rest of the way to hotel Chimayo. If that's not exemplary customer service, I don't know what is.

Our room was nice and clean and there was a wonderful Southwestern theme all throughout.

I will come back to this hotel simply because the staff truly cares about their customers and will go to any means to ensure their customers' safety and comfort.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear abqlolo,

The staff hear at the Hotel Chimayo are excited to hear that you had such a great time here in Santa Fe. We are always pleased to know that people love Santa Fe so much. If you ever decide to come back to visit please call us so that we can help welcome you back. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

Sun City, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Dated, dated, dated. Needs to redecorate, get the restaurant open, install elevators to all floors, upgrade to flat screen tvs and much more. There was no restaurant and no breakfast included. The coffee pot had no carafe so no coffee. Great way to start the day, huh? Won't go again.

Room Tip: avoid the courtyard rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Adrian V, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear YoMeyer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We do apologize if our services caused any inconveniences. We do understand that with a boutique hotel comes some challenges such as the property layout and the placement of our elevators. Knowing these challenges we do our very best to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied and taken care of. If you ever visit Santa Fe again we would like another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your comfort. Again, thanks for sharing your feedback.

Adrian J. Velarde
Front Office Manager

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!