“Great staff, value, location, and charm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
'Tis the Season-Save 25%
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Laguna Beach, California
“Great staff, value, location, and charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Couldn't have found a better location to enjoy all that Santa Fe has to offer. Not fancy, but definitely charming with a great feel for the culture of Santa Fe. Walking distance to the town square and all the restaurants. The staff was so helpful, so friendly. Loved the bar and bartender. Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant. We had a very short stay, next time will stay longer. The room isn't fancy, and the bathroom tub could use some TLC. However, overall, I was very happy with our choice for quick visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Your 4-star review is deeply appreciated rhondasworld,

Thank you for choosing us during your recent trip to Santa Fe. As a downtown hotel, our city is steps away from the front door, and it sounds like you took full advantage of that luxury. Your compliments to our staff members is truly wonderful to hear. I hope they took the time to tell you about our history and connection to the people and city of Chimayo. It is a rich and vibrant village 30 minutes north of us to which we donate a portion of our proceeds.
I hope your next visit is longer and we can help guide you to the many sites and sounds our fair city has to offer.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Bethesda Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

On a two week trip the two nights here were by far the hotel highlight. Lovely room, a heater for my wife who was cold and endless smiles and caring by every member of the staff form the front desk to to housekeepers. Workers repairing the stair greeted us with a cheery "good morning how are you today?". Coffee on the porch in the afternoon was wonderful. Best surprise for an old hotel LOTS of outlets and flawless internet. Location is excellent. I would go back in a minute.

One suggestion , the candles in the lobby are a bit of a fire hazard, but the hotel is sprinklered.

Room Tip: There are no "views" in this Urban hotel. For anyone with mobility issues ask for the gr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Emeritus24,

Thank you for writing such a wonderfully positive 5-star review! I am not sure we have enough time to run a school, but we try to manage our hotel as best we can.
I am pleased all of staff met you each day with a "smile." Our team members strive to go above and beyond with each and every guest. Just to put your mind at ease, the candles in our lobby are battery-operated. They recharge each night so that during the evening, it looks and feels as if they were freshly lit. No need to worry about the fire hazard.
I look forward to your return visit. Please give me a call once you are ready to come back to "The City Different."

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is the best value you can find in a hotel this close to the plaza. This is a 3 star property so do not expect luxury amenities. The rooms need some updating but the beds are nice and comfortable with lots of pillows provided. My only real complaint is the small bathroom which makes me feel like I am in a cheap motel. The front desk is very friendly and helpful. Otherwise, it has a lot of character and is a great option for downtown Santa Fe (with rates less than half of the hotel next door).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

We are so pleased you chose our hotel among the many here in Santa Fe! Our location is truly a luxury when seeing the beautiful architecture and visiting the downtown shops and restaurants our town has to offer. I apologize for the petite bathroom size. Since our building is historic, we try to keep the integrity of the original design. The bathroom area is something we may consider updating in future and we value your opinion.
We hope the weather in Texas cools off and you enjoy the remaining summer months! Come see us again!

St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

You can tell that the hotel was a refurbished older hotel. In spite of that, they did a nice job with the lobby and bar area. The best aspects of the hotel are, no doubt, the location, and the value. You are literally steps off the square. The hotels that are close to this one can be triple the price!

The morning staff was very attentive. The evening staff...not so much. The evening desk attendant seemed very young, and very inexperienced. I had some issues with changing my room, but it wasn't that big a deal.

If you want a place to stay that is close, has some atmosphere and is a very fair price stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear JJ76767,

Thank you for making the trek across America from Wisconsin to New Mexico! I hope your journey back home was pleasant and incident-free. I am glad you noted the refurbishment of our lobby and bar. Low N' Slow is growing to become a truly unique "hang-out" environment for locals and visitors alike. I apologize for service you received in the evening shift--I will be re-training and evaluating the service during this time. It is lovely to know our day staff members made you feel attended to and welcome.
Please come back to visit us here in Santa Fe! Even if you do not stay with us, our company, Heritage Hotel & Resorts has 6 other properties in New Mexico that are definitely worth trip!

Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The good is LOCATION! This hotels is a block off the square, right next door to The Anasazi and within a block of 3 of the top tier restaurants in Santa Fe. The Staff was very friendly and helpful (up until I realized I thought I had left something in the room on checkout and then had difficulty getting a return phone call). The property itself has a definite Santa Fe vibe that is fun. I really enjoyed my stay here.

As for what you should be aware of......it is a pretty dated property. Very small bathroom that even as a solo traveller was cramped. The windows were a nice touch and provided a great breeze in the room but you did need to use sticks to hold the window up lest it slam closed. While the bed was super and very comfortable, the furnishings could have stood some updating. As someone who likes to exercise while traveling the hardwood floors held no appeal to me at all but concede they fit in with the old world vibe quite nicely.

All in all, I liked the property and the staff and would definitely stay again either solo or with my wife. Just set your expectations correctly and you have no worries!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate such a positive review!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience while staying with us. I am glad our beds were "super and very comfortable." We know how important that is to a vacationer and we're glad it helped you get a good night's rest. I am sorry that our property seemed a bit dated. We try represent the old-world Santa Fe charm in our historic building; in turn, we are constantly updating the furnishings and decor but with that same antique feeling. Your comment is truly appreciated--I will try to find some updates for the building in future projects.
Thank you again for choosing Hotel Chimayo for your recent stay and I hope you give us a call the next trip!

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Hotel Chimayo is like walking back in time. Walking to our room on a brick courtyard, it is narrow with the rooms rising 3 floors on each side. Several balconies jut out from the building making this seem like you stepped back in time. The room had narrow doors, beautiful fireplace, and a comfortable bed. If you are wanting a modern Hotel then don't stay here. If you want to feel like you are in Santa Fe 100 years ago then this is the place. It is not run down or dingy, just turn of the century charm. The location is within walking distance to all the shops and dining. They have a parking garage under the hotel for a small fee, $16 per night and it is well lit. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bartender/manager, Winston, provided excellent service. He was very knowledgeable and knew the history of the cocktails he produced and and if you wanted to know the "recipes" to the drinks he would explain them to you in an Alton Brown'esque style.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have elevator service due to the age of the hotel so if you don't want to pack...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
What an amazing and detailed 5-star review!

Thank you tabellae. Your words flow like a beautiful story and I am so pleased that you took the time to weave such a descriptive tale. It sounds like Winston was a stand-out in customer service. It pleases me to hear such kind words regarding our new bar manager.
Please call us again when you are in the area. Even if you pass through for the day, remember that Winston will be more than happy to whip up a summer cocktail for you!

South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We came to celebrate my wife and my birthdays. After much research, we decided to stay at the Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe. Let me say this first and foremost, this is NOT a luxury hotel! This is a quaint, comfortable place for either a couple or family to enjoy. The rooms are decorated in southwestern / Mexican. You are greeted with hanging chili's and it is awesome and beautiful. Each room has a seating area next to a fireplace. Very romantic if that is what you are into. The rooms are clean and neat and we had a very comfortable bed.
The hotel staff are very friendly. Estefeny (Spelling) was the employee that greeted us and she was very helpful. In fact, all of the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only negatives that I was able to identify were the following....There was no soda machines in the hotel. You could go to the bar and buy soda, though. Next, you have to pay $16 a day for parking. a tip.....while leaving the hotel, move the car out of the parking lot and find a spot on Nusbaum Avenue. This way, while checking out, it's a short walk with your baggage.
Enjoy....Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida to New Mexico! What's not to like?

Dear Mozzy7957,
Thank you for this descriptive and informative review. Our hanging chiles, or ristras, are a unique sight to see and make our entrance and courtyard truly stand out here in the downtown area. They are actually from the city of Chimayo, of which we are based. Estefany tries to make all of guests feel special and I am proud that you were able to interact with her. I appreciate your feedback regarding our soda machine. As you noted, we are an older building, and unfortunately we have very little room for a machine such as that. I will be looking into where we might be able to fit one.
We hope to see you again and you can bring some of the Florida beach to Santa Fe anytime! Have a great summer!

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!