“Terrific Boutique Hotel in Santa Fe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Dallas
“Terrific Boutique Hotel in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip. The good is LOCATION! This hotels is a block off the square, right next door to The Anasazi and within a block of 3 of the top tier restaurants in Santa Fe. The Staff was very friendly and helpful (up until I realized I thought I had left something in the room on checkout and then had difficulty getting a return phone call). The property itself has a definite Santa Fe vibe that is fun. I really enjoyed my stay here.

As for what you should be aware of......it is a pretty dated property. Very small bathroom that even as a solo traveller was cramped. The windows were a nice touch and provided a great breeze in the room but you did need to use sticks to hold the window up lest it slam closed. While the bed was super and very comfortable, the furnishings could have stood some updating. As someone who likes to exercise while traveling the hardwood floors held no appeal to me at all but concede they fit in with the old world vibe quite nicely.

All in all, I liked the property and the staff and would definitely stay again either solo or with my wife. Just set your expectations correctly and you have no worries!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
We appreciate such a positive review!

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience while staying with us. I am glad our beds were "super and very comfortable." We know how important that is to a vacationer and we're glad it helped you get a good night's rest. I am sorry that our property seemed a bit dated. We try represent the old-world Santa Fe charm in our historic building; in turn, we are constantly updating the furnishings and decor but with that same antique feeling. Your comment is truly appreciated--I will try to find some updates for the building in future projects.
Thank you again for choosing Hotel Chimayo for your recent stay and I hope you give us a call the next trip!

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Hotel Chimayo is like walking back in time. Walking to our room on a brick courtyard, it is narrow with the rooms rising 3 floors on each side. Several balconies jut out from the building making this seem like you stepped back in time. The room had narrow doors, beautiful fireplace, and a comfortable bed. If you are wanting a modern Hotel then don't stay here. If you want to feel like you are in Santa Fe 100 years ago then this is the place. It is not run down or dingy, just turn of the century charm. The location is within walking distance to all the shops and dining. They have a parking garage under the hotel for a small fee, $16 per night and it is well lit. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The bartender/manager, Winston, provided excellent service. He was very knowledgeable and knew the history of the cocktails he produced and and if you wanted to know the "recipes" to the drinks he would explain them to you in an Alton Brown'esque style.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have elevator service due to the age of the hotel so if you don't want to pack...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
What an amazing and detailed 5-star review!

Thank you tabellae. Your words flow like a beautiful story and I am so pleased that you took the time to weave such a descriptive tale. It sounds like Winston was a stand-out in customer service. It pleases me to hear such kind words regarding our new bar manager.
Please call us again when you are in the area. Even if you pass through for the day, remember that Winston will be more than happy to whip up a summer cocktail for you!

South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We came to celebrate my wife and my birthdays. After much research, we decided to stay at the Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe. Let me say this first and foremost, this is NOT a luxury hotel! This is a quaint, comfortable place for either a couple or family to enjoy. The rooms are decorated in southwestern / Mexican. You are greeted with hanging chili's and it is awesome and beautiful. Each room has a seating area next to a fireplace. Very romantic if that is what you are into. The rooms are clean and neat and we had a very comfortable bed.
The hotel staff are very friendly. Estefeny (Spelling) was the employee that greeted us and she was very helpful. In fact, all of the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The only negatives that I was able to identify were the following....There was no soda machines in the hotel. You could go to the bar and buy soda, though. Next, you have to pay $16 a day for parking. a tip.....while leaving the hotel, move the car out of the parking lot and find a spot on Nusbaum Avenue. This way, while checking out, it's a short walk with your baggage.
Enjoy....Hope this was helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida to New Mexico! What's not to like?

Dear Mozzy7957,
Thank you for this descriptive and informative review. Our hanging chiles, or ristras, are a unique sight to see and make our entrance and courtyard truly stand out here in the downtown area. They are actually from the city of Chimayo, of which we are based. Estefany tries to make all of guests feel special and I am proud that you were able to interact with her. I appreciate your feedback regarding our soda machine. As you noted, we are an older building, and unfortunately we have very little room for a machine such as that. I will be looking into where we might be able to fit one.
We hope to see you again and you can bring some of the Florida beach to Santa Fe anytime! Have a great summer!

Rockton, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

It is difficult to describe how awful this hotel is. Cleanliness is not a priority. The window was falling out in the room and if you did get it to stay on track to be open to take out the musty smell...you propped it up with a stick. Bathroom was so dimly lit you could not see anything in it. We left....could not imagine staying in this room for another minute

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Willson947,

I would very much appreciate if you would contact me directly with your concerns. I would like to go over these issues in detail with you.

Dawsonville, Ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at Hotel Chimayo. The location, only a few steps away from The Plaza, could not be better. The front office staff was outstanding-friendly, helpful, accomodating. Our room, though a little small, was excellent- very comfortable bed, quiet. The restaurant was also excellent. We booked a bed and breakfast package and had breakfast in the restaurant all three mornings. The recipes were primarily southwestern, some Chimayoan, and the quality of food and service were outstanding.
The only negatives, and, for us, they were minor, is our bathroom was a little dated, and the courtyard and shared balcony outside our room could use some maintenance and better housekeeping. The hotel staff had begin some painting, and I understand that flowers and outside decorations will be put in place as the temperature warms.
Our thanks to Nick Stofolik and his excellent staff for doing their part in making our visit to Santa Fe a memorable one.
Jim and Frida Murray

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank Mr. and Mrs. Murray!

It was wonderful having you here with us and I really do love that picture for your profile. That must have been somewhere VERY fun and exotic!
Our staff does take pride on going that extra bit to make each stay unique. I will make sure to pass on your kind words. As you noted, we are currently refreshing our outdoor space for the summer months. As most of the hotel is subject to the windy Santa Fe cold months, every year we must replenish the grounds to former glory. With all of flowers up now, it does make our courtyard very inviting. Hopefully, you will be able to come back to Santa Fe, but I know that Georgia is not necessarily next door.
Have an amazing summer and call us when you decide to return.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been staying at the Hotel Chimayo (formerly the Plaza Real) since 2005.
I have tried a couple of the "full service" hotels in Santa Fe but came back to the Chimayo.

The buiding is in a historical architectural style and has a courtyard. It embraces you with the feeling of being in Old Santa Fe. The location can't be beat, just a few steps from the Plaza.

After the upgrade/transition to the Chimayo it now has a restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating and the food is quite good.

Room Tip: The restaurant bar features entertainment on the weekends. If you don't wish to partake get a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear luv2pole,

Thank you for continuing to be a valued guest of our building, despite the name we may be. Plaza Real and Hotel Chimayo are not as different as people would believe. The reason we decided to switch the name was our strong connection to the city and people of Chimayo--a northern New Mexican city steeped in artistic traditions such as weaving, iron work, and sculpture. Representing their beliefs and home environment is something in which we pride ourselves. I am happy that the history of our structure spoke to you. It IS like being in Old Santa Fe just as you mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back numerous times in the future and all our staff will be more than pleased to see you again.

Trophy Club, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I'd never been to Santa Fe and wanted to see it in spite of the rainy forecast. I'll definitely go back and was pleased with the Hotel Chimayo, even though there are many larger, more upscale hotels that we saw wandering around downtown Santa Fe.

As many of the reviews on tripadvisor warn, the bathrooms are small. That's true, but it was a quaint hotel. I wish my pictures had turned out better!

Room Tip: We had room 122 on the end of the courtyard and were happy. Other folks had the next floor up which...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
What an inspiring 5-star review SchultzDuo,

I love that we created a home-like atmosphere for that cold, rainy time. Of course, those days are few and far between in Santa Fe, but I am pleased that we were a safe haven from the storm. Our location is truly an asset here in the downtown area, and I hope that the shopping and nearby cultural attractions made you feel just as welcome.
Call us again when you make your way to Northern New Mexico!

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!