“Location, Location, Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Dawsonville, Ga
“Location, Location, Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at Hotel Chimayo. The location, only a few steps away from The Plaza, could not be better. The front office staff was outstanding-friendly, helpful, accomodating. Our room, though a little small, was excellent- very comfortable bed, quiet. The restaurant was also excellent. We booked a bed and breakfast package and had breakfast in the restaurant all three mornings. The recipes were primarily southwestern, some Chimayoan, and the quality of food and service were outstanding.
The only negatives, and, for us, they were minor, is our bathroom was a little dated, and the courtyard and shared balcony outside our room could use some maintenance and better housekeeping. The hotel staff had begin some painting, and I understand that flowers and outside decorations will be put in place as the temperature warms.
Our thanks to Nick Stofolik and his excellent staff for doing their part in making our visit to Santa Fe a memorable one.
Jim and Frida Murray

Room Tip: Third floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thank Mr. and Mrs. Murray!

It was wonderful having you here with us and I really do love that picture for your profile. That must have been somewhere VERY fun and exotic!
Our staff does take pride on going that extra bit to make each stay unique. I will make sure to pass on your kind words. As you noted, we are currently refreshing our outdoor space for the summer months. As most of the hotel is subject to the windy Santa Fe cold months, every year we must replenish the grounds to former glory. With all of flowers up now, it does make our courtyard very inviting. Hopefully, you will be able to come back to Santa Fe, but I know that Georgia is not necessarily next door.
Have an amazing summer and call us when you decide to return.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I have been staying at the Hotel Chimayo (formerly the Plaza Real) since 2005.
I have tried a couple of the "full service" hotels in Santa Fe but came back to the Chimayo.

The buiding is in a historical architectural style and has a courtyard. It embraces you with the feeling of being in Old Santa Fe. The location can't be beat, just a few steps from the Plaza.

After the upgrade/transition to the Chimayo it now has a restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating and the food is quite good.

Room Tip: The restaurant bar features entertainment on the weekends. If you don't wish to partake get a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear luv2pole,

Thank you for continuing to be a valued guest of our building, despite the name we may be. Plaza Real and Hotel Chimayo are not as different as people would believe. The reason we decided to switch the name was our strong connection to the city and people of Chimayo--a northern New Mexican city steeped in artistic traditions such as weaving, iron work, and sculpture. Representing their beliefs and home environment is something in which we pride ourselves. I am happy that the history of our structure spoke to you. It IS like being in Old Santa Fe just as you mention.
I look forward to welcoming you back numerous times in the future and all our staff will be more than pleased to see you again.

Trophy Club, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I'd never been to Santa Fe and wanted to see it in spite of the rainy forecast. I'll definitely go back and was pleased with the Hotel Chimayo, even though there are many larger, more upscale hotels that we saw wandering around downtown Santa Fe.

As many of the reviews on tripadvisor warn, the bathrooms are small. That's true, but it was a quaint hotel. I wish my pictures had turned out better!

Room Tip: We had room 122 on the end of the courtyard and were happy. Other folks had the next floor up which...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
What an inspiring 5-star review SchultzDuo,

I love that we created a home-like atmosphere for that cold, rainy time. Of course, those days are few and far between in Santa Fe, but I am pleased that we were a safe haven from the storm. Our location is truly an asset here in the downtown area, and I hope that the shopping and nearby cultural attractions made you feel just as welcome.
Call us again when you make your way to Northern New Mexico!

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Charming. Underground parking. Block to plaza. Great breakfast and service. Room was upstairs and felt like in someone's upstairs guest suite in their house. Vet cute and can't beat the value for Santa Fe.

• Stayed May 2013

Your review is just as charming! Thank you for taking time to enumerate the positive experience you had. I love that you felt as if you were in someone's house. Ever hotel wants their guests to feel like they are in a "home away from home."
Please visit us again anytime--Tuscon is not that far!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just returned from our visit to the southwest. One of our 2000 mile drive, was a stop off to Santa Fe, New Mexico. My husband had made a booking mistake, and we ended up, WITH our 12 lb. Terrier, in, sorry to say, a terrible motel with a terrible location.. the Motel Six!!
We stayed the first night, in Motel Six, we had no choice... the next day after arrival, I took a walk with my little dog Patch, and came across the WONDERFUL Hotel Chimayo..
and I am Sooooooo happy I walked into this lovely hotel, fantastic location, and SUPER-Friendly and helpful staff! I booked us in, and THIS entire experience SAVED our trip to Santa Fe from becoming a difficult, depressing visit! I was ready to stay even longer and the room alone, was a vacation in itself! Big personal thanks to Nick S. at the front desk and Kevin in maintenance who went beyond the call of duty to help us!!!! THANK YOU !!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Alll the rooms are fabulous!! I will add a personal photo! I wish I owned the room we were in!!!
Rotonda West, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was by far the largest accommodation we have stayed. It had a large living room, kitchenette,
1 full bath and 1 half bath. A walk-in closet and a TV in living room and bedroom. We were within walking distance of the square as well as the attractions. Shopping was superior to anywhere I have been.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
I appreciate your comments pumpkin068. It sounds like the extremely close shopping and our large room facilities were just what you were looking for in Santa Fe. It also sounds as if you had one of our Junior Presidential Suites that have kitchenettes and half-bathrooms. Those rooms are very well-appointed and also very rare to reserve due to their popularity. They have some of the most beautiful views our "City Different."
Please come back again soon and have wonderful beginning of the summer months.

nashville, tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel was perfect. We were enchanted by the porches, courtyard, and the hanging peppers. The location was ideal, actually next to a MUCH more expensive hotel that looked about the same, we were within easy walking distance of everything we wanted to do. Two of the restaurants where we already had reservations were practically footsteps away. I can't say enough about the friendly staff. Eric checked us in and then called to make sure we liked our room. He was full of useful tips and actually remembered what we were doing and made sure to ask about it when we returned. Oh, and six big fat pillows on each bed - heaven!

Room Tip: You do have to climb stairs, but ask for a room with a balcony - it's worth the climb!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
What a wonderful 5-Star review!

Thank you vaughnNashville_Tn, I truly appreciate your comments. I was so happy that we took the time to discuss your plans and adventures. I hope that you were able to enjoy our porch and courtyard as we have had some chilly days in our recent past.
Please let me know if you are able to make your way to Santa Fe in the future. We would love to see you again and so would the comfy pillows!

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!