“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Exclusive offer-Save 15%
Ranked #26 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Surrey, UK
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights & as it is close to the Plaza really appreciated the underground car park. Friendly staff especially the barman & breakfast waitress. Loved the room both in decor & size. We had 2 rooms - a bedroom & a sitting area. The decor & feel of the whole hotel was welcoming & typically Mexican. The only downside I found was that there was no swimming pool which was badly needed in the heat. They provide a shuttle bus to another hotel where you can swim however it isn't that close & I was given incorrect instructions for my return journey back - I was told the driver would come into reception to get me but he didn't so would have missed it had I not been looking out of the window.
All in all a lovely hotel & certainly one which I would return to if I ever visit Santa Fe again which I hopefully will as it was a great town.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
We appreciate your feedback from your past stay with us. For those two nights, I hope you packed in as much as possible. I am happy that you took advantage of our location to the plaza and our outstanding restaurant and bar. The staff in both locations have been recognized multiple times for their exemplary service. I apologize for the confusion regarding the pool and shuttle service to our sister hotel. I will make sure we iron out those issues. We hope to welcome you back to our Heritage Hotel group here in breath-taking New Mexico. Thank you again!

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Chimayo last weekend. Had a great time. The hotel is in a perfect location. The room was very nice, clean, etc. The hotel is beautifully decorated with Santa Fe style art. The service and food at the restaurant was excellent. We will go back, and will recommend it to our friends (and TripAdvisor readers!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so pleased that we were able to "wow" you during your recent stay, and we are even more pleased with your glowing recommendation! I hope all of your friends to whom you recommend us will have just as an amazing time as you did.
Please call us directly when you plan on coming back to "The City Different." We love to hear from our return guest.

Arvada, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I really was expecting better from a hotel near the plaza in Santa Fe. We came here with a friend on her recommendation and found ourselves disappointed but there were some good aspects of the hotel. First, the rooms were decent and mostly clean. There were clearly some issues with attention to detail but it was overall ok (except the patio, which was extraordinarily dirty). The head chef was awesome; he served us drinks in the closed bar while we waited for our room to be ready. However, before we even had the keys to our rooms we were introduced to the level of customer service (or lack thereof) provided in this establishment. The main bartender was easily the most unprofessional person I have ever witnessed in the industry and clearly demonstrated a lack of character. She readily insulted one customer to another to the point of inciting violence amongst the customers and was very unapologetic about her behavior. Fortunately, the operations manager was attentive to the situation and attempted to address the concern. However, after interacting with other front desk staff, it became clear that the establishment is run by young people with little experience in providing quality stays for the casual and frequent out-of-towner, with their constant focus on their smartphones, gossip about customers and other employees and demonstrated lack of desire to actually provide customer service to their patrons. To be honest, the staff has made this establishment a place for their friends to hang out and they have little consideration for those who are actually paying to stay here. Although I love the location and I don't have any issue with the rooms or building itself, I will not be back, nor will I recommend the Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to anyone else, personally or professionally.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear MTNAIR2012,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Chimayo for your recent stay in Santa Fe. I was pleasure meeting you and your friends and I truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me. I am disappointed that our level of customer service was lacking. As we discussed previously, we are working to be one of the best hotels in the downtown area. I will be using your review as a training tool for our current and future staff. We cannot have wonderful return guests such as yourselves have such a negative vacation.
I know that you said you would not recommend us and/or return in the future. I would like to show you how we can be the best of the best here in Northern New Mexico. If you could call me directly the next time you are visiting "The City Different," I would love the opportunity to show you how we can make your stay special.

Have a wonderful beginning of the warmer season!

Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The hotel is in a great location right off the main square of downtown Santa Fe. The Lobby is super pretty and decorated exactly the way you imagine Santa Fe would be. Dark wood, mexican tiles, and chile ristras. The staff is very nice and helpful. I believe the front desk guy was named Oscar. They have a resident 'fire starter' who will come by your room everyday to start your fire. Make sure to book a room with a fireplace. We had a room on the second (and half) floor. Most rooms are only accessible from the outdoor courtyard and there are two flights of stairs to the second floor rooms. This is helpful if you have a lot of luggage or kids or trouble walking up stairs.
We had a junior suite which had plenty of room for the two of us. We had a small living area and very big, comfy bed. The bathroom is small but there is a sink outside the room. Nice water pressure. Our room had two balconies which was nice.
The hotel restaurant is awesome! Make sure you use your coupon they give you at check in. The bar is nice enough. The staff can be a little slow and seems some of them may a have few too many while on their shift. But the rest of the staff is amazing.
Make sure to hit up the Plaza Cafe and have a frito pie at the five and dime.

Room Tip: Make sure to book a room with a fireplace and a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed and marvelous 5-star review!

Our hotel tries to go above and beyond when it comes to guest service, and one of these stars, Oscar, is a fine example of that level we strive for with each and every guest. I am very pleased he helped you in lighting our in-room, wood-burning fireplace. It is a lovely addition when a chilly Santa Fe evening rolls around.
From your review, it seems like you had one of our new renamed Balcony Suites which have an interior and exterior balcony. It is a treat to see the Sangre de Cristo mountains from those rooms.

We look forward to your return trip and can't wait to see you!

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Ate one breakfast and one dinner, both were excellent but the Huevos Rancherous was the best I've every had - the Chimayo red chilli made it. Service was second to none, even the chef came out to personally check on us. The room was spacious and I believe it was one of the smaller rooms. Great New Mexico furnishings and the king bed was very comfortable. You don't get the full service of the bigger more known Santa Fe hotels, but you get an authentic New Mexico experience, just 1/2 block off the Plaza, and for much less. If you are military you will not find a better offer in Santa Fe. Lots of crosses in the room, but more of a cultural statement than a religious one, because of the rich Catholic heritage of Northern New Mexico.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for this outstanding review!

It sounds like Tia's Cocina was great addition to your stay and the Huevos Rancherous are truly not to be missed. Our red chile is one item on the menu that is completely authentic to the city and people of Chimayo as they come from straight from the city. Since our hotel is not only named after the city, it also helps support their cultural preservation and our decor has many crosses and religious representations in it. We try to depict their beliefs and artistry throughout the design.

Hopefully we will see you again to enjoy our city and all it has to offer!

portland, or
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Location, location, location. This hotel is less than a block from the Plaza and therefore very close to museums and other sights in that area. There is parking underneath the hotel for $14/day + tax. That seemed like a lot to me, but parking is expensive and limited in the area. With a "third night free" offer, the price is reasonable for the area.Breakfast is not included which is surprising. Generally, the hotel could use sprucing up--rooms are a bit worn, lobby looks tired, etc. The ambiance is southwestern and that helped me overlook the worn edges. Probably the worst feature is that the room we had was hot (no cooling in April) and there was nothing to enable us to keep the windows propped open (we used all the books in the room). The beds were very comfortable. Housekeeping needs more supervision. Our room was not made up on the first day and the hair dryer was missing. We got great help from front desk personnel, especially Katy.

Room Tip: Upper rooms tend to be warm even with heat off, so consider that when selecting a room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Juno8,

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and comments while staying with us. I am pleased that our location helped make your vacation experience positive. Hearing that Katy was able to assist you makes us very happy. All of our staff tries to go above and beyond in regards to customer service and Katy is no exception. I will be looking into your housekeeping service problems. I want to make sure this does not happen to any future guests. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I hope that you return to Hotel Chimayo on your next stay to Santa Fe! We love seeing return guests.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife and I live down in Albuquerque, NM, and decided to take a weekend trip up to Santa Fe to have some time away from the kids and just enjoy one another. Well we were having a great time, until we checked into our room. First thing we noticed as we walked in the door ("noticed being an understatement) is seven crosses hanging over the fireplace with a bright ceiling light highlighting them. Some of the crosses were simple twigs twined together and others were crafted from barbed wire. They gave the room an eerily spooky vibe like we just missed some sort of exorcism. We laughed it off, go to our bed, and wouldn't you know it a huge three foot iron cross is hanging over the bed. That was to much, after all we were there to have a little adult time. I may have a little kinky streak, but that was a bit much. We grabbed our bags, headed back to the front desk, and asked for another room. The girl behind the desk told us all of the rooms were like that. She snidely commented that the name of the hotel is "Chimayo" (Chimayo is a very religious village north of Santa Fe), to which I replied "well the hotel next door is called 'Anasazi', and if I were staying there I wouldn't expect to be sleeping in a pit house".

Well anyway we decide to make the best of it, and headed back to our room. At which time I start to take in the rest of the room. The sofa was literally the cheapest furniture I've ever seen. I tell you it looked like patio furniture. Hard wood frame and a thin cushion. The bed was a king and felt comfy enough. The bathroom was smaller than the 1/2 bath I have at home.

Decide to freshen up a bit. Go to wash my hands, and, surprise, no soap. No anything! No toiletries at all. Make another trip to the front desk, and no one is there. Wait for about 15 minutes, and a waiter from the restaurant said he would go find her, and tell her our problem.

I go back to our room, and a few minutes later someone showed up to our door with the toiletries.

The room was really starting to fell kinda hot (about 75-80 degrees) I go to turn on the air, and after searching around the place for a few minutes I find a thermostat behind the entertainment center (btw the TVs are at least 20yo, 19in tube), so I flip the switch to cold, turn dial down to 65 degrees, turn it on, and hot air starts coming out of the vents. WTH! I turn it off, and go to the windows, and open them. Surprise, the windows won't stay open. My wife still trying to be a good sport starts looking around the room to find something to prop the open the windows. By now I was seeing red, and said ENOUGH!

Went to the desk, and she told me that the management hasn't switched the heater to coolers yet (as if that should make me feel better). I said I was checking out NOW. How in the world can a hotel charge over $200 with that kind of service. I asked for a refund, and she said it should be credited back to my card in a couple of days. So to make s short story long, my wife and I ended up driving back to ABQ, and just go home.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same. Courtyard style hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HHandR, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear 3rdbennett,

We do appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you encountered during your stay with us. Hotel Chimayo like all Heritage Hotels supports various cultural initiatives. This approach and commitment to cultural endeavors is what makes the Hotel Chimayo experience highly unique and different than the typical branded chain hotels. The crosses represent such a culture in northern New Mexico and the village of Chimayo where you would see many hanging at El Santuario de Chimayo a Historic Registered Landmark. Our room sizes vary and I apologize that no other rooms were available for you; however several different floor plans do exist at the Hotel. The lack of amenities in the rooms is a concern and I thank you for bringing this to my attention so that we can immediately address this with our staff. We appreciate your business and regret when we fail to meet our customer’s expectations.
In regards to the heating and air conditioning we often receive a few warm days in between the cooler days of spring. We are working to find the best date to convert to our air-conditioning system. We hope we would get another opportunity to provide you with a comfortable and culturally unique stay.

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!