“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Limited Time - Save 20%
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Bath, Ohio
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

This hotel is not a luxury hotel, but for the price it is a very nice hotel and we would stay again. We enjoyed the fireplace in the living room for which the hotel supplied logs. They even laid the fire for us so that all we had to do was start it when we came in that night. The seating area in the front room of the suite was not the most comfortable ever, but it sufficed. The bedroom was wonderful. The bathroom was tiny and probably could stand to be upgraded a little, but I don't lounge in hotel bathrooms, so I'd prefer the space allocated to the bedroom as it was. Location was fantastic. The hotel bar was nice and though we didn't eat in the restaurant, we did order dinner in the bar and it was very good. We enjoyed sitting out in the courtyard area where we had a small wrought iron table and chairs and electric outlet so hubby could watch the game on his computer while I surfed the net on mine. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room with a fireplace on the ground level. This meant our room faced the side street, which...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Thank you ardeasnest this detailed 4-star review,

It pleases me our courtyard was able to be enjoyed--especially this time of year. It is really relaxing to come back after a long day of shopping and sit in our interior public space to watch the day turn into night. I also see you reserved one of premium rooms that has its own wood-burning fireplace. I am happy our staff was able to assist you in its lighting. I apologize for our petite bathroom space, but as you said, it does help that there is more room for the living space.
I hope you choose to stay with us again when coming to Santa Fe. Have a safe and prosperous 2013 and maybe we will see you in the warmer months.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Nashville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We all obviously have certain travel and accommodation preferences so here is our take on this place:

We stayed for 5 nights in a Jr. Presidential suite PLUS paid for a regular room for my mother who flew in to visit us. The good things about Chimayo are that it is within walking distance to the Plaza and the price of lodging is okay (no great deal in relation to the whole stay experience).

Front Desk Staff: Cordial; not overly helpful or "friendly"; just average. We loaded our luggage cart and brought everything into elevator without assistance. This was a little surprising considering the front desk guy was sitting in the back room with his feet on the desk watching something on his laptop.

Restaurant: OMG - slow, slow, slow. We ate there for lunch and were 1 of 3 tables. It took forever. For dinner we also were 1 of 4. Extremely slow service. Mediocre food. The hotel must lose out on revenue here because other guests complained how poor the service was at its own restaurant.

Room: We got the Jr. Presidential Suite. Very disappointed based on their website pics and description. Very cramped quarters and the bathroom - geesh - it was the same size as a regular room here. The tub and toilet are crammed into a little area. Reminded me of a cheap motel. Decor was nothing fantastic - scant and dreary. Many stick made crosses hanging above fireplace. Dated and uncomfortable sitting furniture (we brought laptops to do some work in evenings).

PARKING: Ouch! We have an oversized conversion van and had to park way behind building in a private parking lot at $24/daily (that's off season rate). The hotel seemed to think nothing of it and did nothing to assist in negotiating.

Environment overall: NOISY! Street was horribly noisy. Guests in an adjoining room were up at 3 AM screaming and swearing. COLD! Poorly insulated building/windows. SMOKEY! The woodsmoke from the fireplace in the lobby seemed to waft all through the building and into our room and clothing.

Our visit in Santa Fe has been good; our hotel has been disappointing. Would never stay here again.

Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Lavieri,

I appreciate you taking the time to enumerate your thoughts and feelings of your recent stay. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy all the city of Santa Fe has to offer. In regards to your comments about our hotel, I was under the impression that we had discussed these issues previously. I am sorry I was not able to fully resolve them to your satisfaction. Please let us know what we can do in order to gain your complete fulfillment.
I do hope that you will give us another chance when choosing to stay in Santa Fe. Please give me a call when that day should arrive. Thank you again.

US
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I received a great promotional deal for Hotel Chimayo so we thought we would try it out. Sante Fe would not be our chosen destination, but it was a quick weekend get-a-way. The hotel was very clean and nicely decorated. Great location to walk anywhere downtown near the square. The only time we drove anywhere was to the artists in the upper canyon area. Staff was friendly. We had vouchers for breakfast, otherwise we would have dined elsewhere. Food was good, but just not our style. Paula was our server both mornings and she was so nice and very attentive to us. They also gave us a 25% discount for dinner, but we dined out just to visit other places. The bar-tender was friendly and waited on us and acted like we were his only guests in a rom filled with people. Are suite had a fire place and the staff came and lit it for us upon request per hotel policy. Bed was just as good a any 5-star I have slept in. My only real complaint, and it is trivial, is I called on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon to have a bottle of wine delivered to our room, that was given to us by the hotel, but it never arrived. I picked it up during check out. Again, trivial and did not change anything about our stay. The only reason I would not go back to Hotel Chimayo is becaue I don't see us going back to Santa Fe even though we had fun. Even if we did, we like to check out different hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 230 that is not on a street. Our friends stayed in 205 and traffic and service tr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you very much BeachW0lf for this extremely helpful and positive review,

We enjoy welcoming couples for quick weekend getaways--it's the only way to travel sometimes! It sounds like our restaurant and bar staff certainly made a nice impression. Low N' Slow and Tia's Cocina both strive to provide our guests with the comforts of traditional New Mexico dishes and a relaxing, care-free environment. These are two things that are a necessity for Santa Fe trips. I apologize for our communication issues regarding your wine delivery. We strive to ensure all guests leave satisfied. I will use your comments when training our staff members.
Even though you like to try different hotels, please stop by and see us the next time you visit the "City Different." We love to see our repeat guests. Have a wonderful 2013!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My stay was in January so fixing the selection for people to put in the correct date would be good.
I was greeted with a warm, friendly welcome by Jay, and quickly and efficiently placed in my room. The hotel is interesting and quirky. It is well appointed, and unusually quaint for America. I was well assisted and information I requested given both quickly and with a smile.
The restaurant upstairs was simple but extremely adequate and both meals being dinner and breakfast , both tasty and well priced. All the staff were more than helpful and polite lending to my enjoyment of staying there.
The hotel Chimayo is very centrally located with good parking.
My only problem was with finding the parking on arrival.
SONNIE HUTCHINS

• Stayed March 2012
Dear sonnie6210,

Thank you for writing this lovely review on your recent stay at our hotel. You were able to enjoy our delicious meal choices at Tia's Cocina which one best kept secrets in Santa Fe. I am pleased Jay at the front desk made the trip an enjoyable one. He truly exemplifies customer service along with many of our staff members.
We hope to welcome you back on the next trip to northern New Mexico. We love to see our repeat guests.

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We chose this property based on the many positive comments on Trip Advisor but were disappointed in several ways. First the positives: 1) The location is great if you want to be near the Plaza; 2) we booked an Oratorio King suite and it had a large bedroom, nice sized separate living room, fireplace and 2 balconies; 3) bed was very comfortable. Now the not so good parts: The bathroom is tiny. The furnishings in the rooms are just ok. Decor is typical New Mexican but pretty low end. Lots and lots of crosses are used on the wall for decoration - not really our taste. Steep stairs to get up to our room which is a pain with luggage. On the plus side it was relatively private (we had room 209). The rooms on the first level all look out onto a "courtyard" which is really an outdoor walkway between the rooms and the main building. Those rooms have no privacy at all if their curtains are open. Our room faced the street but every morning at 5:30 am an incredibly loud trash truck came to pick up trash next door. Not the hotel's fault but we also didn't appreciate being awakened every morning at that hour while on vacation. Very annoying. The "artwork" in the public areas is really nothing to write home about; other properties we went into had much more beautiful original works of art. We are art collectors ourselves and didn't feel Hotel Chimayo lived up to its own description. Their photos online really make the property look more appealing than it is. Having said that, if you want a good location and a decent price, this place might be fine for you. Finally, regarding the staff, while they are indeed "friendly", that doesn't necessarily translate into great service. You have to wait to have your firewood brought up and your fire lit, which sometimes can take quite a while. As well, don't expect to have a fire after 10 pm as that is when their "engineer" goes home and no one else can do it. Oscar, who takes care of the fire lighting, was both incredibly friendly and helpful but we didn't find the rest of the staff very well trained or guest focused. Explaining to guests when they check in what the limitations are to the service the property provides (like when you can have a fire, etc) would help to minimize disappointments during the stay. Another example of a lack of full disclosure that creates guest disappointment: when we booked our trip we got a 3rd night free and 20% off coupons for the restaurant and bar. Only after we got there did we see in small type on the coupons that 20% off in the bar was for food, not drinks. REALLY?!!! When you advertise a discount in a bar, I would guess 99% of people would assume that was on alcohol, not food. This property also charges $14 per day to park, so when you do the math about where to stay for what price, all of these things add up. Next time we will stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Nusbaum Street will be awakened by a trash truck at 5:30 am each weekday morning. All t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that our location to the plaza and some of our in room amenities were aspects that made your stay enjoyable. It is very nice that we are so close to the plaza and all of the shopping it has to offer. I apologize for the inconvenience of the garbage trucks coming in the early hours of the morning. We do have a noise ordinance in the city of Santa Fe and I will be submitting a complaint regarding that issue immediately. I am also sorry you experienced less than satisfactory customer service. We strive to ensure all of our guests receive outstanding service, and I will be using your comments as a training tool for our current and future employees.
I hope that the next time you are visiting Santa Fe you will give us another chance to make your stay unforgettable. Please call me directly when that day comes and I will be happy to assist you.
Thank you again for bringing these issue to our attention and have wonderful 2013.

Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Perfectly located just off the square in downtown Santa Fe, Hotel Chimayo was a great fit for our stay. We pulled up front, check was seemless with Jay behind the counter. He made sure every need was met upon arrival. We opted of the garage parking (extra $ per night) due to the snowy/cold weather expected during our stay.

Our room (205), a junior suite, Was a warm, romatic size for me and my wife. Walking in the door, there was 2 chairs and a coffee table, 32 inch tv and a lovely fireplace. A small sink and a mini fridge tucked away was nice. Also in the living spcae was a courtyard facing balcony.

Into the sleeping and bath area was king size bed, armore with TV and 3 drawers and a street facing blacony (thays right 2 balconys). The single sink and a nice size closet help get our clothes and products a place to stay for the 4 days. The shower and toliet are together in a separate space from the rest of the room. The shower had plenty of hot water.

The fireplace was a warm welcome, and a quick call for Oscar, our fire was lit within minutes of the request. He made sure our fire wasn't wimpy as me and my wife enjoyed a bottled of wine for the bar located in the hotel.

We also managed to eat twice at the hotel, once for breakfast, once for dinner. The food was pretty good, I enjoyed my tacos, and sopa's for desert. For breakfast I went with the blue corn and pinon pancakes. I would reccomend both to any future quest. The bar also seemed to have a good bit of traffic every night, which we enjoy one night and had great service.

Being located right downtown, this was a perfect place to go out an walk around town with ease. There are many local shops and the market where you can buy handmade jewerly from the locals in town. Plenty of coffee shops and resturants around the hotel as well.

I never heard another soul the enitre stay there. The room was decorated very well and the hotel was done in the same manner. Everything was very clean and fresh.

Room Tip: Go for the fireplace.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear 3ill,

Thank you for this very detailed and positive 5-star review. It sounds like you really had a memorable vacation, and we are pleased to have been part of it. I am glad that Jay and Oscar met your expectations and provided you with stellar customer service. They are truly stars like all of our staff members. Your room was one of our unique Mission King Junior Suites that has a balcony looking onto the Sangre de Christo Mountains. Not all of our rooms have that view, and I am happy you were able to enjoy it.
Hopefully we will see you in the future when staying in Santa Fe. Our location is prime during Indian and Spanish markets. Please give our reservations line a direct call for the next trip.

Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My girl friends and I recently stayed here for 4 nights. It is very close to the Plaza area in old downtown Santa Fe. Great restaurant and bar areas. Good food and drinks. Lovely art work in common areas and rooms. All created by the Chimayo tribe from Chimayo, New Mexico. Part of every room sale goes to the support the tribe. (Great idea!). They have live music on Saturday nights. The staff was so friendly and helpful from the front desk to the guys who come light your fireplace anytime between 7 am to 10 pm. The beds were as good as any 5 star hotel. Plenty of hot water for 5 women in a 2 bedroom suite. Great time had by all.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for one with a fireplace. Very quiet hotel because of the interior courtyard area whe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Patricia W for a lovely 5-star review!

I am so pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy that you noted our connection to the people of Chimayo and how we try to give back as much as we can. I hope that you all make a "girl's trip" in the future; remember to give our reservations office a call and let them know you are returning guests.

Have a wonderful 2013 and see you again in Santa Fe!