“Solid 3 star but not luxurious” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Shop 'til You Drop
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Solid 3 star but not luxurious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We chose this property based on the many positive comments on Trip Advisor but were disappointed in several ways. First the positives: 1) The location is great if you want to be near the Plaza; 2) we booked an Oratorio King suite and it had a large bedroom, nice sized separate living room, fireplace and 2 balconies; 3) bed was very comfortable. Now the not so good parts: The bathroom is tiny. The furnishings in the rooms are just ok. Decor is typical New Mexican but pretty low end. Lots and lots of crosses are used on the wall for decoration - not really our taste. Steep stairs to get up to our room which is a pain with luggage. On the plus side it was relatively private (we had room 209). The rooms on the first level all look out onto a "courtyard" which is really an outdoor walkway between the rooms and the main building. Those rooms have no privacy at all if their curtains are open. Our room faced the street but every morning at 5:30 am an incredibly loud trash truck came to pick up trash next door. Not the hotel's fault but we also didn't appreciate being awakened every morning at that hour while on vacation. Very annoying. The "artwork" in the public areas is really nothing to write home about; other properties we went into had much more beautiful original works of art. We are art collectors ourselves and didn't feel Hotel Chimayo lived up to its own description. Their photos online really make the property look more appealing than it is. Having said that, if you want a good location and a decent price, this place might be fine for you. Finally, regarding the staff, while they are indeed "friendly", that doesn't necessarily translate into great service. You have to wait to have your firewood brought up and your fire lit, which sometimes can take quite a while. As well, don't expect to have a fire after 10 pm as that is when their "engineer" goes home and no one else can do it. Oscar, who takes care of the fire lighting, was both incredibly friendly and helpful but we didn't find the rest of the staff very well trained or guest focused. Explaining to guests when they check in what the limitations are to the service the property provides (like when you can have a fire, etc) would help to minimize disappointments during the stay. Another example of a lack of full disclosure that creates guest disappointment: when we booked our trip we got a 3rd night free and 20% off coupons for the restaurant and bar. Only after we got there did we see in small type on the coupons that 20% off in the bar was for food, not drinks. REALLY?!!! When you advertise a discount in a bar, I would guess 99% of people would assume that was on alcohol, not food. This property also charges $14 per day to park, so when you do the math about where to stay for what price, all of these things add up. Next time we will stay someplace else.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Nusbaum Street will be awakened by a trash truck at 5:30 am each weekday morning. All t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 28, 2013

I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased that our location to the plaza and some of our in room amenities were aspects that made your stay enjoyable. It is very nice that we are so close to the plaza and all of the shopping it has to offer. I apologize for the inconvenience of the garbage trucks coming in the early hours of the morning. We do have a noise ordinance in the city of Santa Fe and I will be submitting a complaint regarding that issue immediately. I am also sorry you experienced less than satisfactory customer service. We strive to ensure all of our guests receive outstanding service, and I will be using your comments as a training tool for our current and future employees.
I hope that the next time you are visiting Santa Fe you will give us another chance to make your stay unforgettable. Please call me directly when that day comes and I will be happy to assist you.
Thank you again for bringing these issue to our attention and have wonderful 2013.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Perfectly located just off the square in downtown Santa Fe, Hotel Chimayo was a great fit for our stay. We pulled up front, check was seemless with Jay behind the counter. He made sure every need was met upon arrival. We opted of the garage parking (extra $ per night) due to the snowy/cold weather expected during our stay.

Our room (205), a junior suite, Was a warm, romatic size for me and my wife. Walking in the door, there was 2 chairs and a coffee table, 32 inch tv and a lovely fireplace. A small sink and a mini fridge tucked away was nice. Also in the living spcae was a courtyard facing balcony.

Into the sleeping and bath area was king size bed, armore with TV and 3 drawers and a street facing blacony (thays right 2 balconys). The single sink and a nice size closet help get our clothes and products a place to stay for the 4 days. The shower and toliet are together in a separate space from the rest of the room. The shower had plenty of hot water.

The fireplace was a warm welcome, and a quick call for Oscar, our fire was lit within minutes of the request. He made sure our fire wasn't wimpy as me and my wife enjoyed a bottled of wine for the bar located in the hotel.

We also managed to eat twice at the hotel, once for breakfast, once for dinner. The food was pretty good, I enjoyed my tacos, and sopa's for desert. For breakfast I went with the blue corn and pinon pancakes. I would reccomend both to any future quest. The bar also seemed to have a good bit of traffic every night, which we enjoy one night and had great service.

Being located right downtown, this was a perfect place to go out an walk around town with ease. There are many local shops and the market where you can buy handmade jewerly from the locals in town. Plenty of coffee shops and resturants around the hotel as well.

I never heard another soul the enitre stay there. The room was decorated very well and the hotel was done in the same manner. Everything was very clean and fresh.

Room Tip: Go for the fireplace.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear 3ill,

Thank you for this very detailed and positive 5-star review. It sounds like you really had a memorable vacation, and we are pleased to have been part of it. I am glad that Jay and Oscar met your expectations and provided you with stellar customer service. They are truly stars like all of our staff members. Your room was one of our unique Mission King Junior Suites that has a balcony looking onto the Sangre de Christo Mountains. Not all of our rooms have that view, and I am happy you were able to enjoy it.
Hopefully we will see you in the future when staying in Santa Fe. Our location is prime during Indian and Spanish markets. Please give our reservations line a direct call for the next trip.

Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My girl friends and I recently stayed here for 4 nights. It is very close to the Plaza area in old downtown Santa Fe. Great restaurant and bar areas. Good food and drinks. Lovely art work in common areas and rooms. All created by the Chimayo tribe from Chimayo, New Mexico. Part of every room sale goes to the support the tribe. (Great idea!). They have live music on Saturday nights. The staff was so friendly and helpful from the front desk to the guys who come light your fireplace anytime between 7 am to 10 pm. The beds were as good as any 5 star hotel. Plenty of hot water for 5 women in a 2 bedroom suite. Great time had by all.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for one with a fireplace. Very quiet hotel because of the interior courtyard area whe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Patricia W for a lovely 5-star review!

I am so pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy that you noted our connection to the people of Chimayo and how we try to give back as much as we can. I hope that you all make a "girl's trip" in the future; remember to give our reservations office a call and let them know you are returning guests.

Have a wonderful 2013 and see you again in Santa Fe!

Costa Mesa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We made a reservation at this hotel because it is historic and they accept dogs. We paid the usual extra pet fee. We were given a room that had no rugs or carpet, which in the dead of winter made for a cold room and had all the charm of a a hospital room. I asked the management about it and was told that it was a Santa Fe Historical Society? rule because it was a historic property. I've stayed in historic world class and tourist hotels around the world with my dog and never heard that one before! Additionally, is was clear from my dog's sniffing that the room had not been adequately cleaned from the previous pooch.

On the plus side, the breakfast was excellent and the server really was pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear brente8934,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you chose our hotel out of the many hotels here in Santa Fe. And I am glad your server at Tia's Cocina made your breakfast an enjoyable experience. I apologize that your room accommodations were less than satisfactory. Some of our rooms do not have carpet, but I promise that it is not because of the Santa Fe Historical Society. If this was the information you were given, I am deeply sorry. We love to have dogs here at Hotel Chimayo, and our housekeeping department works hard to ensure that each room receives the proper attention after our four-legged friends depart.
Please let me know when you are returning to Santa Fe and I will make sure that your experience will be a memorable one. I know you will have an amazing time and so will your canine friend!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Santa Fe and to this hotel. We arrived in the evening and the hotel front desk person greeted us promptly. The hotel was built in the late 1800's so it was quite interesting. Our room was very nicely decorated in rustic southwest decor. However, there was a staircase in the middle of the room leading down to two locked doors. If I hadn't been with my husband, I would have asked for another room! It was kind of creepy. I read another review of someone else who must have had this same room, so I was not that surprised when I saw it. They must give this room to people who book online. I would think that they would like to make a good impression on first time guests and NOT give them this particular room. If you book here, I suggest you ask for a room without a staircase in the middle! Other than that, the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We had a meeting at the convention center early in the morning so we could just walk the two blocks there. Check-out time was noon so we had time after our meeting to walk to the shops and the cathedral. We plan to return to this hotel next time we are in town. Parking is in the garage below the hotel for which there is a charge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a staircase in the middle!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Jazzy11_357 for taking the time write your review,

I am glad that we were so close for your business at the convention center. Walking in Santa Fe is an amazing experience and it sounds as if you took advantage of it. I apologize for the staircase in your room. Our building is historic and many rooms are able to connect through doors which are double locked when not in use. Some guests purchase both the room above and below as a family suite. Many of our rooms do not have this feature, and when you make the trip back to Santa Fe, give us a call and you can hear about all of our room options.
We look forward to your next visit, and we hope you have an unforgettable start to the new year!

Kogarah, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Chimayo de Santa Fe on the Square is a perfect hotel stay. The location of the hotel give access to the Square and all the shops. The hotel has a excellent restaurant upstairs (Tia's Concina) that serves some of the best authentic food in the area. The bar down stairs is a bonus to the stay. Front desk is very responsive and courteous upon check-in and during the entire stay.

Room Tip: Sometimes the hotel website doesn't show all the rooms available. Call reservations for "l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Amanda H,

Thank you for this review. We are so pleased that you found our authentic and amazing restaurant, Tia's Cocina pleasant. It is truly mouth-watering and we hope all of New Mexico knows about it. It sounds as if our staff made your stay that much more memorable. They try to go above and beyond for each of our guests.
We hope to see you on your next adventure to Santa Fe. Please call our reservations line and they will assist you in creating the perfect stay.

Amarillo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited this hotel during the Thanksgiving holiday 2012. We found it to be very charming and comfortable. The room prices were very reasonable considering it was just one block off the square. Very convenient. The rooms are well appointed and clean. There is a lot of "stair climbing" unless your room was close to the one elevator. (ours was) I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello SailRaiser,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy you were able to enjoy the thanksgiving holiday with us. Being in Santa Fe during that time of year is really a one-of-a-kind experience. Our spacious rooms and convenient location seemed to make your stay extra special. As our building is historic, some of the rooms do require stairs, but please know we can help with luggage throughout your stay. But I am happy that you were able to get a nice room off the elevator.

Have a wonderful new year and we look forward to seeing you for future stays.

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!