“Cozy Downtown Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
15% Off Nidah Spa
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Georgetown, Texas
“Cozy Downtown Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Perfectly located just off the square in downtown Santa Fe, Hotel Chimayo was a great fit for our stay. We pulled up front, check was seemless with Jay behind the counter. He made sure every need was met upon arrival. We opted of the garage parking (extra $ per night) due to the snowy/cold weather expected during our stay.

Our room (205), a junior suite, Was a warm, romatic size for me and my wife. Walking in the door, there was 2 chairs and a coffee table, 32 inch tv and a lovely fireplace. A small sink and a mini fridge tucked away was nice. Also in the living spcae was a courtyard facing balcony.

Into the sleeping and bath area was king size bed, armore with TV and 3 drawers and a street facing blacony (thays right 2 balconys). The single sink and a nice size closet help get our clothes and products a place to stay for the 4 days. The shower and toliet are together in a separate space from the rest of the room. The shower had plenty of hot water.

The fireplace was a warm welcome, and a quick call for Oscar, our fire was lit within minutes of the request. He made sure our fire wasn't wimpy as me and my wife enjoyed a bottled of wine for the bar located in the hotel.

We also managed to eat twice at the hotel, once for breakfast, once for dinner. The food was pretty good, I enjoyed my tacos, and sopa's for desert. For breakfast I went with the blue corn and pinon pancakes. I would reccomend both to any future quest. The bar also seemed to have a good bit of traffic every night, which we enjoy one night and had great service.

Being located right downtown, this was a perfect place to go out an walk around town with ease. There are many local shops and the market where you can buy handmade jewerly from the locals in town. Plenty of coffee shops and resturants around the hotel as well.

I never heard another soul the enitre stay there. The room was decorated very well and the hotel was done in the same manner. Everything was very clean and fresh.

Room Tip: Go for the fireplace.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear 3ill,

Thank you for this very detailed and positive 5-star review. It sounds like you really had a memorable vacation, and we are pleased to have been part of it. I am glad that Jay and Oscar met your expectations and provided you with stellar customer service. They are truly stars like all of our staff members. Your room was one of our unique Mission King Junior Suites that has a balcony looking onto the Sangre de Christo Mountains. Not all of our rooms have that view, and I am happy you were able to enjoy it.
Hopefully we will see you in the future when staying in Santa Fe. Our location is prime during Indian and Spanish markets. Please give our reservations line a direct call for the next trip.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My girl friends and I recently stayed here for 4 nights. It is very close to the Plaza area in old downtown Santa Fe. Great restaurant and bar areas. Good food and drinks. Lovely art work in common areas and rooms. All created by the Chimayo tribe from Chimayo, New Mexico. Part of every room sale goes to the support the tribe. (Great idea!). They have live music on Saturday nights. The staff was so friendly and helpful from the front desk to the guys who come light your fireplace anytime between 7 am to 10 pm. The beds were as good as any 5 star hotel. Plenty of hot water for 5 women in a 2 bedroom suite. Great time had by all.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for one with a fireplace. Very quiet hotel because of the interior courtyard area whe...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Patricia W for a lovely 5-star review!

I am so pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I am especially happy that you noted our connection to the people of Chimayo and how we try to give back as much as we can. I hope that you all make a "girl's trip" in the future; remember to give our reservations office a call and let them know you are returning guests.

Have a wonderful 2013 and see you again in Santa Fe!

Costa Mesa, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We made a reservation at this hotel because it is historic and they accept dogs. We paid the usual extra pet fee. We were given a room that had no rugs or carpet, which in the dead of winter made for a cold room and had all the charm of a a hospital room. I asked the management about it and was told that it was a Santa Fe Historical Society? rule because it was a historic property. I've stayed in historic world class and tourist hotels around the world with my dog and never heard that one before! Additionally, is was clear from my dog's sniffing that the room had not been adequately cleaned from the previous pooch.

On the plus side, the breakfast was excellent and the server really was pleasant and attentive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear brente8934,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you chose our hotel out of the many hotels here in Santa Fe. And I am glad your server at Tia's Cocina made your breakfast an enjoyable experience. I apologize that your room accommodations were less than satisfactory. Some of our rooms do not have carpet, but I promise that it is not because of the Santa Fe Historical Society. If this was the information you were given, I am deeply sorry. We love to have dogs here at Hotel Chimayo, and our housekeeping department works hard to ensure that each room receives the proper attention after our four-legged friends depart.
Please let me know when you are returning to Santa Fe and I will make sure that your experience will be a memorable one. I know you will have an amazing time and so will your canine friend!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was our first visit to Santa Fe and to this hotel. We arrived in the evening and the hotel front desk person greeted us promptly. The hotel was built in the late 1800's so it was quite interesting. Our room was very nicely decorated in rustic southwest decor. However, there was a staircase in the middle of the room leading down to two locked doors. If I hadn't been with my husband, I would have asked for another room! It was kind of creepy. I read another review of someone else who must have had this same room, so I was not that surprised when I saw it. They must give this room to people who book online. I would think that they would like to make a good impression on first time guests and NOT give them this particular room. If you book here, I suggest you ask for a room without a staircase in the middle! Other than that, the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. We had a meeting at the convention center early in the morning so we could just walk the two blocks there. Check-out time was noon so we had time after our meeting to walk to the shops and the cathedral. We plan to return to this hotel next time we are in town. Parking is in the garage below the hotel for which there is a charge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a staircase in the middle!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Jazzy11_357 for taking the time write your review,

I am glad that we were so close for your business at the convention center. Walking in Santa Fe is an amazing experience and it sounds as if you took advantage of it. I apologize for the staircase in your room. Our building is historic and many rooms are able to connect through doors which are double locked when not in use. Some guests purchase both the room above and below as a family suite. Many of our rooms do not have this feature, and when you make the trip back to Santa Fe, give us a call and you can hear about all of our room options.
We look forward to your next visit, and we hope you have an unforgettable start to the new year!

Kogarah, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Chimayo de Santa Fe on the Square is a perfect hotel stay. The location of the hotel give access to the Square and all the shops. The hotel has a excellent restaurant upstairs (Tia's Concina) that serves some of the best authentic food in the area. The bar down stairs is a bonus to the stay. Front desk is very responsive and courteous upon check-in and during the entire stay.

Room Tip: Sometimes the hotel website doesn't show all the rooms available. Call reservations for "l...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Amanda H,

Thank you for this review. We are so pleased that you found our authentic and amazing restaurant, Tia's Cocina pleasant. It is truly mouth-watering and we hope all of New Mexico knows about it. It sounds as if our staff made your stay that much more memorable. They try to go above and beyond for each of our guests.
We hope to see you on your next adventure to Santa Fe. Please call our reservations line and they will assist you in creating the perfect stay.

Amarillo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We visited this hotel during the Thanksgiving holiday 2012. We found it to be very charming and comfortable. The room prices were very reasonable considering it was just one block off the square. Very convenient. The rooms are well appointed and clean. There is a lot of "stair climbing" unless your room was close to the one elevator. (ours was) I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello SailRaiser,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy you were able to enjoy the thanksgiving holiday with us. Being in Santa Fe during that time of year is really a one-of-a-kind experience. Our spacious rooms and convenient location seemed to make your stay extra special. As our building is historic, some of the rooms do require stairs, but please know we can help with luggage throughout your stay. But I am happy that you were able to get a nice room off the elevator.

Have a wonderful new year and we look forward to seeing you for future stays.

Vail, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

A nice renovation of an older hotel, centrally located to all sights in lovely Santa Fe. Very friendly front desk, one of the agents offered to carry our bags, even as he was leaving his shift. Convenient underground parking garage, $14 a day. Room was large and quiet, very nice, comfortable bed and linens. Bath was small, but renovated and more than adequate, Subdued, tasteful Southwest decor, no kokopellis here. Hotel has an interesting layout, some of the rooms are located off an outside balcony, which does not face onto a street. Lots of Santa Fe atmosphere.

There is a very pleasant looking bar, located just off the lobby.

Room Tip: We had a room off the outdoor balcony, on the 3rd floor, accessible by elevator, which was very quie...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such kind words foodiefromCO,

I am pleased that our staff went above and beyond during your stay. It sounds like our spacious design and location made your rest that much more enjoyable. You noticed our unique decor which is inspired by the city and people of Chimayo. It is our mission to represent that town and its local flavor.
We hope to see you again in the future. Our proximity to shopping and galleries is that much more wonderful in the warmer months--maybe we will see you then.

Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!