“Great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Exclusive offer-Save 15%
Ranked #24 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
San Clemente, California
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I picked Hotel Chimayo based on other Trip Advisor reviews. The location is indeed it's biggest selling point. The other positives are that the room was a nice size. We had a deluxe King suite w/fireplace on the 2nd floor (no elevator). The bed was comfortable, front desk helpful, nice big front porch with seating. The downside was no a/c (I don't recall seeing that on their website) but they do have windows that open - which also means you will hear early morning noise from nearby properties. We requested a fan which they supplied. The bathroom was small and not enough counter space for toiletries. Next door bar had Karaoke mid week which was fun. Overall a nice stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear hardydesk,

Thank you for your 4-Star review! It is great to hear our rooms were nicely appointed and that our staff was pleasant able to assist. I apologize for the noise you experienced due to the window being open. Our downtown location is optimal for seeing everything Santa Fe has to offer, but can sometimes mean extra street activity. The next time you visit our city, please contact us directly, and we will try to assign you a room on our southern side away from the street. When you return, I hope the karaoke machine will be calling your name. Thank you again

569 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
La Veta, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Can't say enough good about our room experience here, we stayed in a mission junior king suite. the most comfortable bed I think we have ever had, sheets were crispy clean and smelled fresh,
very large 2 rooms with comfortable chairs in the sitting area, 2 tv's, wet bar, perfect bathroom with nice southwestern tile, OH YES and water so hot you might want to be careful ! There was also a wood burning fireplace, Don't know if you can use it, didn't need it so didn't pay much attention..Also there were french style doors on one side of the suite and a large window on the other, made for nice fresh air, room was A-1. Now on to the dinning and the bar. Ate at the restaurant up-stairs we were a little out of season and so it seemed dead, I had pork chops, thin and dry, my wife had a mexican combo plate, was good but couldn't eat the tamale for the heat. I was glad we had a dinner voucher, otherwise not worth it to me. The bar area is nice but drinks are expensive and the bartender that night was less than interested in doing his job, we about had to send up signal flares to get his attention and we were only 6ft. away at a table. Looking back the hotel and rooms are great, but you might want to go elsewhere for your nightlife. Oh yes and the plaza was just down the block very convenient. Underground parking, you can walk most places.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs make sure to get a ground level, no elevators to 2nd floor rooms
Thank you 2oldogs for your 4-Star review,
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our bedding and room accommodations. Our fireplaces are definitely functioning and I hope that you will return to experience it. I regret you did not have an exceptional experience in our restaurant or bar. We have discussed these issues with the Food & Beverage manager and have made vast improvements based on your input. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you decide to return to Santa Fe, we wish you would make Hotel Chimayo your destination of choice. Thank you again!
las vegas, nv, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hubby and I took a quick two night get away to Santa Fe, where we have visited many times but never stayed at this hotel. It was great! Super comfy bed! Separate sitting area, wood burning fireplace, rooms are off the street, quiet. Few steps from the plaza. We would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
It seems you enjoyed your stay while at Hotel Chimayo and we couldn't be more pleased! We hope to be your mainstay hotel when you journey back to Santa Fe. The next time you are returning to The City Different, make sure you call us directly. We love welcoming back guests!
San Clemente
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We just returned from a trip to Santa Fe and we had a great stay at the Hotel Chimayo. From the time we walked into the lobby the staff was so helpful. We parked our car and never needed to used it the three days we were there. The location is excellent, right off the plaza. We could walk everywhere. Great restaurants walking distance, the cathedral is about 1 block and canyon road was about a 20 min leasure walk. The hotel had a nice porch in front with comfortable chairs to sit on after a days outing. We had a fire place in our room and they would have someone come up and bring wood and start the fire. Our room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The rooms are a bit dark during the day. The bathroom is small but very workable since the vanity area is separate. I definitely would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I would choose the option of a king jr suite or their larger suite due to the fact they have a separ...
Thank you JudySanClemente for 4-Star rating,
Your kind words and compliments are particularly valued. Sharing them on TripAdvisor contributes to our growth as a company. While enjoying the sites and sounds of Santa Fe, you found a car is not necessarily essential and I am delighted our parking garage was a helpful tool. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Chimayo and maybe on your future stay, you will be able to utilize your car see the city of Chimayo. Our hotel is inspired by their community and their culture. The fireplaces and comfortable chairs you enjoyed represent the the city's unique craftsmanship and sensibility.
I hope you have a pleasant holiday season.
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

great 4 days. housekeeping needs some improving and don't stay on the ground floor. street level and curtains have to be closed at all time. If your looking for guiet I suggest the upper floors. this is a historic hotel and the walls and ceiling are paper thin. the hotel staff was OUTSTANDING. make sure if you have a car to do the Tourquoise Trail. Unbelievable.

Room Tip: I did abouve
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much zins214 for your compliments and kind words. I love that you used the word "unbelievable" regarding the Turquoise Trail. Many visitors to Santa Fe do not know what an amazing experience that road is, and I hope your words, or word as it were, will convince them. I am also delighted that enjoyed your stay while with us, and your notes on housekeeping service are very much appreciated. We are instituting new procedures in that department and I know it will soon get an "unbelievable" rating as well. Thank you again and I hope to see you at Hotel Chimayo soon!
Frisco, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent 4 days in Santa Fe to celebrate a friend's birthday. We stayed at the Hotel Chimayo. Our room was large and very comfortable. We did have breakfast in the hotel each day and were very pleased with food selection. Our waitress was a bit overwhelmed by the number of people she had to serve, but she remained calm and pleasant. The front desk staff was very helpful. Spots in the garage are at a premium later in the evening and that made for some confusion. All in all, a very nice hotel, great location and fine service.

Room Tip: Room 200 is quite large, a few steps from the dining room, but it is next to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate your 4-Star rating LindaE13,
I am especially pleased you chose Hotel Chimayo for this birthday celebration and were able to enjoy the city while with friends. I appreciate your observations regarding our restaurant service. I have researched the issue and we have instituted new policies to ensure this will not occur again. I hope you will return to Hotel Chimayo for your next trip to Santa Fe whether it be a birthday, anniversary or just to get away!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were greeted and taken to our room, which was a standard Queen, on the small side, but nice. I went to turn the air conditioner on and realized there was no air, the room was hot and stuffy, went down to front desk and said there is something wrong with the air in our room, it was the 2nd week of Sept and 85 degrees. I was told that a fan would be sent up to our room since management decided to shut down the air for fall and winter....bad move. The fan arrives dirty and full of dust, I go to open a window to hopefully get some kind of breeze only to find there are no screens. Went down to complain about the dirty fan , no screens and most of all wanted to know why they decided to shut the air unit off so early. I was upgraded to a King room with 4 windows with screens which made it somewhat bearable. Staff was eager to please, shame on the management for making what would and should have been a pleasant stay into a uncomfortable stay. Hotel is very nice and in a good location, check before booking to make sure air is on if you go in Sept.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I truly apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with your recent stay with us. We want to ensure that all of our guests leave Hotel Chimayo pleased and ready to return. As I have recently become the Director of Operations, I will use your feedback as a way to improve our service standards. I am truly sorry that you had a problem with our air conditioning system. I have looked into the issue and am drafting a new policy based on your experience. Your feedback is extremely important to us. It is my hope that the next time you are visiting Santa Fe, you think of Hotel Chimayo.
Nick Stofocik, Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!