“Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Clemente
“Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We just returned from a trip to Santa Fe and we had a great stay at the Hotel Chimayo. From the time we walked into the lobby the staff was so helpful. We parked our car and never needed to used it the three days we were there. The location is excellent, right off the plaza. We could walk everywhere. Great restaurants walking distance, the cathedral is about 1 block and canyon road was about a 20 min leasure walk. The hotel had a nice porch in front with comfortable chairs to sit on after a days outing. We had a fire place in our room and they would have someone come up and bring wood and start the fire. Our room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The rooms are a bit dark during the day. The bathroom is small but very workable since the vanity area is separate. I definitely would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: I would choose the option of a king jr suite or their larger suite due to the fact they have a separ...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you JudySanClemente for 4-Star rating,
Your kind words and compliments are particularly valued. Sharing them on TripAdvisor contributes to our growth as a company. While enjoying the sites and sounds of Santa Fe, you found a car is not necessarily essential and I am delighted our parking garage was a helpful tool. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Chimayo and maybe on your future stay, you will be able to utilize your car see the city of Chimayo. Our hotel is inspired by their community and their culture. The fireplaces and comfortable chairs you enjoyed represent the the city's unique craftsmanship and sensibility.
I hope you have a pleasant holiday season.
Nick Stofocik, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

great 4 days. housekeeping needs some improving and don't stay on the ground floor. street level and curtains have to be closed at all time. If your looking for guiet I suggest the upper floors. this is a historic hotel and the walls and ceiling are paper thin. the hotel staff was OUTSTANDING. make sure if you have a car to do the Tourquoise Trail. Unbelievable.

Room Tip: I did abouve
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much zins214 for your compliments and kind words. I love that you used the word "unbelievable" regarding the Turquoise Trail. Many visitors to Santa Fe do not know what an amazing experience that road is, and I hope your words, or word as it were, will convince them. I am also delighted that enjoyed your stay while with us, and your notes on housekeeping service are very much appreciated. We are instituting new procedures in that department and I know it will soon get an "unbelievable" rating as well. Thank you again and I hope to see you at Hotel Chimayo soon!
Frisco, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent 4 days in Santa Fe to celebrate a friend's birthday. We stayed at the Hotel Chimayo. Our room was large and very comfortable. We did have breakfast in the hotel each day and were very pleased with food selection. Our waitress was a bit overwhelmed by the number of people she had to serve, but she remained calm and pleasant. The front desk staff was very helpful. Spots in the garage are at a premium later in the evening and that made for some confusion. All in all, a very nice hotel, great location and fine service.

Room Tip: Room 200 is quite large, a few steps from the dining room, but it is next to the elevator.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We appreciate your 4-Star rating LindaE13,
I am especially pleased you chose Hotel Chimayo for this birthday celebration and were able to enjoy the city while with friends. I appreciate your observations regarding our restaurant service. I have researched the issue and we have instituted new policies to ensure this will not occur again. I hope you will return to Hotel Chimayo for your next trip to Santa Fe whether it be a birthday, anniversary or just to get away!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We were greeted and taken to our room, which was a standard Queen, on the small side, but nice. I went to turn the air conditioner on and realized there was no air, the room was hot and stuffy, went down to front desk and said there is something wrong with the air in our room, it was the 2nd week of Sept and 85 degrees. I was told that a fan would be sent up to our room since management decided to shut down the air for fall and winter....bad move. The fan arrives dirty and full of dust, I go to open a window to hopefully get some kind of breeze only to find there are no screens. Went down to complain about the dirty fan , no screens and most of all wanted to know why they decided to shut the air unit off so early. I was upgraded to a King room with 4 windows with screens which made it somewhat bearable. Staff was eager to please, shame on the management for making what would and should have been a pleasant stay into a uncomfortable stay. Hotel is very nice and in a good location, check before booking to make sure air is on if you go in Sept.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I truly apologize that you were not 100% satisfied with your recent stay with us. We want to ensure that all of our guests leave Hotel Chimayo pleased and ready to return. As I have recently become the Director of Operations, I will use your feedback as a way to improve our service standards. I am truly sorry that you had a problem with our air conditioning system. I have looked into the issue and am drafting a new policy based on your experience. Your feedback is extremely important to us. It is my hope that the next time you are visiting Santa Fe, you think of Hotel Chimayo.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I visited Santa Fe in September 2012 and stayed at the Hotel Chimayo. The hotel is located about a half a block from the main plaza and far enough away from the noise it generates. The hotel staff were amazing and attended to our every need. The room had a king size firm bed and fireplace (wood burning). The bathroom is a wee bit small, but other than that the room was clean as a pin. The hotel also has a nice bar and restaurant on the premises if you are not in the mood to venture out. By staying there you are close to restaurants, shopping and most of the sites. We were more than pleased with our stay and will return in the future. I had taken approximately 120 pictures of all of Santa Fe including the hotel, but unfortunately I cannot include them because while I was transferring them from my camera to my IPad I accidently erased all. I guess that will give me incentive to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the far east end downstairs. Oh by the way, there is no elevator to second floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Vegan2 for your response!
I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us while in charming Santa Fe. Your 5 Star rating is greatly appreciated and I hope that when you return you will share your beautiful pictures. We would love to see them - all 120!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel less than a block from the Plaza. Rooms are very comfortable and our's was set up with a front room with fireplace and a bedroom. Of course the motif is adobe. The bed is especially comfortable. The staff is very and nice and will jump through hoops to get what you need. The only knock, and this was because of our room location (in the very back facing the library) is that the trash was picked up directly under our room at 4:30 every morning, very loud! We will ask for a different room location next time. Will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Stay up front, do not think it will matter which floor.
I appreciate your 4-Star review Bufordclyde,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Chimayo for your recent stay in beautiful Santa Fe. I am pleased you enjoyed our room amenities and that our staff was eager and willing to make your stay memorable. I apologize for the noise you experienced while here and please contact us directly to avoid the same issue on your next stay. I look forward to your return!
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Recently spent 2 nights at the hotel Chimayo Santa Fe. We booked well in advance directly with the hotel. We were told at the time that the king rooms were much nicer due to a fireplace and sitting area. I explained at the time my sister and I were sharing a room and would prefer to have our own beds. At check in we got the same spiel and said no we would stick to the original request - 2 beds. We had to walk all the way to the very back end of the hotel making our way up about 6 stairs to our room. Upon opening the door to the room we had to climb close to 20 stairs to get to the beds. I've never seen a hotel room like this. I walk with a cane and this hotel is in no way handicap friendly or elderly friendly. No elevator to access these rooms. No extra roll of TP in the room, only one wash cloth, soaps weren't replaced the second day & sticks had to be placed in the windows to keep them up. Not at all what we were expecting for close to $200 a night. The parking garage was a nice perk but we did pay extra for that.

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I very much appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. It is important to our hotel family and helps us grow and improve our customer service practices. As you mentioned, our hotel is rather unique and unfortunately does not offer elevator access to all of our rooms. Since our building is historic, we have tried to maintain the original look and feel of the structure. We hope that this experience did not deter you from coming back to Hotel Chimayo. Many of our rooms have first floor access and we try very hard to fulfill all guest requests. The next time you would like to stay, please contact me directly and we will make sure you are 100% satisfied.
Nick Stofocik, Director of Operations

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!