“Interesting setting, not worth the price” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
Limited Time - Save 20%
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Boulder, Colorado
“Interesting setting, not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

The actual building is historic and interesting and the room is "cute", but ill suited or equipped for more than one person. We had a 2nd floor "balcony" room (balcony not big enough to sit out on), The sink and mirror are only barely wide enough for one person, so plan on getting ready sequentially in the morning. Coffee is set out for one and not replenished 2nd day. 1 package of creamer for 2 of us for 2 days. Just not much service or TLC. Same sleepy guy at the front desk all 3 days. Couldn't make eye contact to tell us where coffee could be found. Mattress and down comforter and pillows were great. Just not worth $200 per night. A/C units blow down on toilet on tub and made them very cold.

Room Tip: No real views so don't spend money for it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We happened to arrive at the Hotel de Chimayo de Santa Fe after a few days of roughing it. In short, we were looking forward to our much needed showers. Strangely enough, we arrived while the hotel was experiencing problems with their hot water heater. We kept it all in perspective: it wasn't Cuba where the average citizen has to have water delivered... And we decided to wander around Santa Fe.
However, when we called the front desk for an update on the hot water, a bratty boy hung up on me instead of giving a basic update. A few interactions with this guy in the hotel business made me think : he shouldn't be in the hospitality business. Hopefully, he straightened out his attitude or the managing staff straightened him out.
Our room was a split level, which was fine. But those with bad knees, etc., might want to ask about rooms without stairs. The attached bar, "Low Rider," was fine for drinks close by. The newly opened restaurant upstairs had a great bus-guy, but our waitress basically abandonned us.
Great location--right off the historic plaza. We walked everywhere: Canyon Road, to meals and the closer museums. Great trolley service too for tired bodies.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I just wanted to share what a wonderful experience I had this hotel. I had some difficulties finding it, The actual hotel sign is low and hard to spot, but the sign you can spot id there glowing "Low N Slow" bar sign which is probably a landmark everyone should know about so they don't pass the hotel several times not realizing that is the hotel. After finding the hotel and walking into the beautiful lobby I proceeded to the front desk to check in. The ambiance of this hotel is quiet uplifting and lovely. Yes there are a lot of catholic decor everywhere in the hotel, but after speaking with Amanda, my husband and I quickly came to realize that the hotel is involving the culture of Chimayo and how they give a percentage of their profits to the preservation charity in the town. Which I think is wonderful for a company to be giving back to a community. Raquel and Amanda were a great duo at the front desk while checking us in. Raquel was very friendly and we were patient as you could tell she was still learning everything. Amanda had great recommendations of things to do and places to eat during our stay in Santa Fe. We travel to Santa Fe often, and have stayed here before, so with the new renovations and the great staff they have there I would definitely say our stay there was much improved. Our room was lovely we have a junior suite rm 205 which happens to have 2 private balconies which I thought was lovely! (best kept secret) Although it is summer and to hot for the fire place it is a lovely feature to have had in our room that will definitely make us come back during the cooler seasons especially because they are wood burning! Big plus!! The Low and Slow bar is fantastic, Frido was a wonderful and friendly bartender, and Paula served us breakfast in the Tia's Cocina Restaurant which has a beautiful outside balcony to enjoy the fresh new mornings. Everything about the hotel I find superb, the only down fall I see the wireless seemed to drop several times during our stay, and also the parking got a little crowded. All in all we had a lovley time and we will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Request room 205 you will have stairs, but the 2 private balconies are definitely worth it!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here last August just as the hotel changed names and ownership and my experience was dramatically different than some of the other reviewers so I wanted to share some of the less than ideal aspects. The location is definitely the best selling point as you couldn't be more centrally located. The courtyard is also lovely and with small tables and chairs it's a nice place to sit and relax in the early evenings. The less optimal aspects concern the room. None of the issues were major--broken towel bar in the bathroom, broken tiles, sheets not changed frequently, extension mirror set so high that at 5'6 1/2 I had to stand on my toes to look into, soaked carpeting from rain that took three days to dry, very dark despite multiple light fixtures--but together the impression was clearly a lack of care. I wasn't looking for 4 star experience, just general upkeep. As to the sheets, I'm fine with hotels conserving on energy but after the third day I asked when they might be changed. I was assured that they absolutely changed the sheets daily but since the same coffee stain that was on my sheets when I arrived was still there by day three it just confirmed the impression of a management and staff that didn't care. Eventually I had to leave a note on the bed on the 4th day to change the sheets (and no, they didn't change them again on day 5 either--again, not critical, just telling). As for the staff, it was a mixed bag, one guy was lovely and couldn't have been more helpful while the female staffer when I arrived was curt and anything but welcoming. Hopefully the new management has made some changes since then. My perspective--if you get a great deal, the location is worth it but I definitely wouldn't call it a find or fantastic; from my experience the descriptors that come to mind are ok or average.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Relaxing place to come home to after a day of shopping or sightseeing. I Loved the outdoor corridors with a table and chairs. Then the suite itself was fabulous. The manager was very accommodating with all of our requests. Our van was too tall for the parking garage and they offered free parking at another hotel with free shuttle every hour. The lobby is pretty, the bar was a bit pricey but worked out great for dinner when we were too tired to go back out.

Room Tip: The elevator doesn't go to the top rooms but it is an easy flight up.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

Just left Santa Fe after a 3 night stay at the Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe. I'm not sure how I found out about this hidden gem but was I ever lucky. The location is perfect - 3 doors away from the Plaza. The hotel is very pretty(gorgeous lobby). There is a very pretty bar off of the lobby. We were in theTesuque suite which was very well equipped. I was a little nervous about the room location at first because it is next to the elevator and the restaurant , Tia's Cocina, but our room was very quiet. A king sized bed and sitting area with tv and full sized sofa, wood-burning firepace, mini frig and microwave helped to make this room so comfortable. The bathroom is very large with all of the necessary amenities. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel on 2 occasions and the food was very good. We ate outside on a porch on the second floor - very good ambiance. This was a wonderful, well-priced hotel. I will recommend it to everyone and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Room 200 - Tesuque. Very large and convenient.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights here. I like old hotels with character and this one was very cozy. There were some problems, however. Although the hotel wasn't full, they put us in a junior suite next to a walkway to the street. It was a bit noisy; so if you go in full season be sure to get a suite which isn't next to the street walkway. It will cost you more. The hotel is about 50 steps from the central Santa Fe plaza which means you can walk to many wonderful places and that's a real plus as parking is horrendous in this area. There is a restaurant on site which is really terrible. Go elsewhere to have dinner. Another problem was that the heat would blast you in the bedroom, but didn't really heat the "living" room. The result was that you were either too hot or too cold. I realize that this is probably a result of the age of the hotel. The ambiance in this hotel is really wonderful.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the sidewalk side.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!