“Great Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

You added Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Washington Avenue, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Formerly Hotel Plaza Real) (Downtown)   |
Affiliate website
Special Price
'Tis the Season-Save 25%
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Lone Tree
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

Reasonable price for the location. I have stayed in many of the hotels on the plaza. You will pay a high price for in hotel dining and name....but here you have a nice place and great location. The VERY few reviews I have read that expressed any dislikes appeared to not be familiar with Santa Fe. Santa Fe is expensive. If you want to be in the Plaza area...it is very expensive. I consider this place a gem in that is is cozy, great atmosphere and nice people. We will definitely stay here again. If you are concerned about price but want nice and in the Plaza area this should meet your needs.

• Stayed December 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

Great location but staff was not very helpful in accomodating room types. Needed a double bed but could not get one. Friends staying there same time wanted a King Bed but received a double bed. You have to get a new room key EVERY day because the locks reset. Other than this it is a great place to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Flexibility of room selection
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
donaldvHPR, Donald Villalobos, Front Office Manager at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, January 7, 2008
We here at the Hotel Plaza Real Thank you for your feedback. I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues with the key cards. We will look into that issue right away. Also I apologize for the bedding situation. Here at the Plaza Real we strive for 100% guest satisfaction. I hope that you can return in the near future and we can set everything straight by meeting all your needs.

Thank you for choosing us as your home away from home while you travel!
houston,tex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2008

THE HOTEL PLAZA REAL IS THE BEST IN TOWN....

it's my very favorite !
small ,unique, boutique hotel...located close to everything

i have been staying at the PLAZA REAL for over 10 years and wouldn't think of changing...

staff is very friendly and helpful :)

• Liked — great location and very comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
silicon valley ca
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

Although I had both a voicemail on my mobile phone in my hand and an email confirming a room rate of $90, the evening front desk manager refused to honor the reservation rate. It was a mistake,by a new employee he said, and therefore, he didn't have to honor the rate. He said, "You can pay the $165 now or leave the hotel." Then he left me to fend for myself on a Saturday evening at 7 p.m., when downtown Santa Fe was completely booked. It took me another 90 minutes to find a hotel a little farther away. I was shocked that with the evidence in my hand, the manager wouldn't stand honor the Sterling reservation website located at: [--]

Please do not subject yourself to treatment such as this when there are great hotels nearby: i.e., the Inn of the Governors.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Great location. We were able to walk everywhere. The rooms were clean above average bedding/linens, had a balcony looking over the interior courtyard. The biggest downsides were cost of parking in the hotel garage and the reservation couldn't be located when we checked in. Luckily, I had my confirmation paperwork. The issue was resolved quickly without much hassle.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — paying to park in the garage. Santa Fe is a far cry from NYC
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

My husband and I have looked forward to staying at the Hotel Plaza Real in Santa Fe for quite some time & our stay was more than what we could have ever expected. Not only was the staff extremely friendly, but they were also helpful in any way asked. For instance, we arrived early and they expedited our check-in on the spot. We stayed in a beautiful suite, with an amazingly comfortable bed and great view; we had a balcony overlooking the plaza. Did I mention that the bed was amazing?! We were also close to all the favorite city spots, we walked everywhere and were given excellent recommendations on places to eat by the front desk staff; like Geronimo's and Pasqual's. We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Plaza Real, it felt like our home away from home, with a lot more luxuries.

• Liked — friendly staff, and amazing rooms
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2007

On a business trip, all of the establishments off Cerrillos Rd were unavailable, so I had to select one near the Plaza. Unfortunately for me, I arrived on the weekend's eve of Fiesta, Thursday night to be exact. The Zozobra burning had just been completed and I checked in close to 11 p.m.

I'm unaware of all of this activity as I just flew in and proceeded to drive from ABQ. Hungry and tired, I asked the front desk for nearby dining suggestions as there is no room service at HPR (Hotel Plaza Real). Because of all of the foot traffic, police detours and lack of street parking, the front desk assured me that it was walking distance to my destination.

No problem, except that all the businesses closed early due to the festivities. I walked back to inform the front desk of this and I'm relegated to fast food pickup.

The next morning as I left for work, I proceeded to the underground parking only to find that I am boxed in. For $13/day, this isn't even considered valet parking, but rather cramming all of the hotel guests' cars into a lot.

As I checked out the next day, it is obvious that the housekeeping staff rarely changes the bedding as I was bitten numerous times by something in the two evenings I stayed there. And I'll be honest, I stayed in that bed for just a total of ten hours! To get to my bed, I had to remove six to eight decorative throw pillows of various sizes as well.

Other things to mention:
There isn't even a pen and pad to use in the room!
The light where the leaky coffee maker sat under didn't work (Rm 108).
I used the two creamer packs and they were not replaced the next day.

This is easily the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

Summary:
No room service
Inexperienced and young staff
Expensive underground parking and inconvenient to get out
Housekeeping performance abysmal
Decor outdated (nasty-looking carpeting)

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!