“Beautiful Hotel with Great Service” 5 of 5 stars

Summer Escape Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cambridge
“Beautiful Hotel with Great Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This is a really lovely hotel. Whoever designed this did a great job. There is native american art everywhere. it is very clean and clearly the Picuris Pueblo takes pride in their hotel. We stayed in the Hacienda which is sort of a boutique hotel within the hotel. Excellent service with continental breakfast served in a very nice room with a patio, also included wine and cheese at the end of the day. The grounds are lovely and the restaurant good. The pool is very nice, but a bit small, especially with a lot of screaming kids. They allow dogs. A couple of nits....there were two very nice, comfortable chairs in our suite, but no lamp between them, so you couldn't sit and read. I requested a lamp and they brought one promptly. The other nit is that we had a lovely patio with nice tables and chairs, but no umbrella. I'm sure if I asked they would have brought me one. They also have free shuttle service to places in Santa Fe. Definitely a hotel to consider. In the Hacienda request room 605.

Room Tip: Room 605 in the Hacienda
Green Features: They are supportive of environmental practices. They encourage you to not refresh linens every day.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Silly of us not to have an umbrella on that patio and already taken care of!

Equally sill not to have that lamp in place, but glad we responded quickly to your request.

Very many thanks for staying with us and I am so delighted to learn you enjoyed yourselves. With apologies for those nits, but please come stay with us again!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Tallahassee, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was a designated conference hotel that required a one night pre-payment to secure a reservation. Given than, I had assumed it was a quality hotel. However, it was underwhelming and the wireless signal in my room was so weak that I needed to leave the hotel multiple times per day to find adequate internet access. That was annoying, but the lack of security at the hotel was downright alarming. On our final night, some woman used a master key to enter our room for no legitimate purpose. We had not had any turndown service at all during our stay, and the woman certainly did not announce herself as housekeeping. When she turned the lights on in the anteroom, and I exclaimed to my husband: "Someone is in the room!" If she had been there to do any work on behalf of the hotel, she would have had adequate time to walk four steps from the door to the area visible from the bed. However, she never made it past where my laptop was sitting on the side table next to the door. The next morning we discovered my computer with the charging cord pulled out. All we heard her say when she realized we were aware she was in the room was, "Sorry," before she darted out the door. As we were in our pajamas, we could not exactly chase her down the hall, and she had not managed to get out the door with any of our possessions. But, what if we had been out to dinner that night? What if I had not woken up? There was no housekeeping cart visible in the hallway when we looked out the peephole and, again, there had never been any turndown service on any previous night.

When we reported these issues to the night manager, he was dismissive. He did not seem concerned at all, and merely said, "Huh! Sorry about that." He did not record any information, and when we tried to give him details or ask questions about video surveillance and recorded key access, he actually seemed irritated. He confirmed there was no turndown service, told us there was no way of knowing who used a master key, and there were no female managers on duty that night. I followed up with an email to the booking manager, who had the general manager respond to me. Supposedly the general manager could determine who had used the master key, and that woman admitted to not announcing herself. The claim was that this was a turndown attendant who had provided service to us every night (supposedly even at times when we knew we had been in the room). The manager further suggested that the invasion was our fault for not hanging the "do not disturb" sign on our door. So, the hotel staff preferred to blame the guests rather than investigate why their employee had not properly announced herself, not performed any of her duties on any night of our stay, and acted suspiciously on the one night she entered our room. The "sincerest apologies" of the manager rang rather hollow when he was so busy blaming us and covering up for his suspicious staff.

There are plenty of nice places to stay in Santa Fe -- and that are far closer to the square. This was a healthy walk from the downtown along a busy street. The surest way to protect yourself and focus on the joy of being in Santa Fe is to pick another hotel. We will certainly not be returning to this one.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
As mentioned to you and confirmed by our computerized key-lock security systems, and in spite of your remarks to the contrary, the door to your room was only opened at 7:40pm that evening by our housekeeping turndown service - as it was on the previous two evenings by the same key/same person!!

Yes, we admit that the attendant did not knock/announce herself properly and for that we profusely apologized!!!

We do NOT have a security problem, nor do we create/imagine information!

I acknowledge you will not be returning - so be it!!
Las Cruces
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is a beautiful, heritage hotel that is in the heart of Santa Fe, but because of the gorgeous old trees you feel far removed from the hustle and bustle. It was wonderful for my family who loved the pool and the fact that we could walk to the roadrunner train station.

• Stayed July 2014
And we loved having you and your family stay with us! Many thanks!

May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

What a superb hotel with great rooms and staff to match. Stay at this place and you will remember it forever. I arrived in Santa Fa in the middle of a huge thunderstorm and after struggling for a while to locate this hotel my room wasn't quite ready but it was well worth the wait. So if your visiting Santa Fa do yourself a favour and stay here.........you won't regret a moment!

Room Tip: None - just stay there!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We are indeed so thankful for these “huge storms” in this drought stricken region, but thankful that you did find us!

Very many thanks for your wonderful words of encouragement and please come stay with us again soon!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

If you want to pop out of your hotel and be able to visit the Plaza shops and restaurants within a block or two, then you'll be happier at one of the hotels in the city center (Hotel St. Francis, Loretto). For about the same cost, though, you can stay further out of town (less than a mile) and get a Jr. suite at the Hotel Santa Fe. That's what we did, and I'm glad we made that choice. You'll have street noise in either case. Hotel Santa Fe is also close to the railroad district, which it appears they are trying to build up. There is a pretty park nearby which we only discovered on our last day, so be sure to ask where it is, it would have been a nice place to stroll in the morning or evening. Other pros: They have coffee available on every floor beginning at 7 A.M. The pool will accomodate lap swimming, has plenty of seating and a nice hot tub. Free newspapers. Helpful concierge. The shuttle is convenient when you don't want to walk, though we experienced a five to fifteen minute wait the few times we used it. t's convenient to have a restaurant on site, though we actually only ate there once.... because lots of other good options are within walking or shuttle distance. The restaurant has a pretty garden view.
The resort fee is silly, they should just build that into the room rates. Rooms are comfortable, the jr. suite has a nice sitting area and a tiny balcony big enough for one chair. Nice big windows in the bedroom area.

Room Tip: Outside noise seems inevitable based on what I could see. Our third floor room overlooked the pool...
Green Features: They offer free water downstairs and we took advantage of that a lot given the dry climate; we ended up with a stack of plastic glasses in our room and I couldn't find a place to recycle them.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Many thanks for such a detailed report. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay and I am also glad that you made the choice to stay with us.

Whilst we don’t have recycle bins in all of our rooms yet, glass, plastic, etc. is separated and recycled at check out.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
Roswell, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I was at the hotel for a conference last January. The staff is tops! The restaurant, while a little on the $$$ side, was excellent and I do recommend at least one meal there. The atmosphere of the hotel speaks of Santa Fe and the city. The hotel is not far from the Plaza, but too far to walk it.

The rooms are spacious and more like a small apartment than a hotel room. I like the use if windows and corners. There was fresh coffee setup each morning on all the floors by the elevators. Get there early as the coffee is supreme and goes quickly! My only complaint was that the bed in my room was against the same wall as the ice machine. My headboard jiggled all night. I had to pull my pillows down and away to avoid a headache. I will most definitely go back to this hotel, but I will request a room away from the ice machines.

Room Tip: Away from the ice machines
Green Features: It was very environmentally conscious up to and including the provided soap - it's had a hole in the middle for greater product usage. Bars can be bought in the gift store. Brilliant idea!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
With apologies for the jiggling head board, but thank you for bringing that to my attention and it is already fixed!

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon
Boulder
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is a very nice hotel. They have live (beautiful) music at night. The rooms are comfortable. I had a two room suite with a desk to work. Very comfortable.

But it did not make for a great business trip hotel. First, I was surprised at an "amenities" charge of $19 per day at check in that was not revealed in booking. This covered the supposedly complimentary internet advertised on the internet, shuttle service and use of the business center.

Aside from the fact that internet was supposed to be complimentary, it was very erratic. It was down for long time periods and when it was on, it was exceptionally slow. Many pages would simply time out rather than download. A bit frustrating on a morning that I had serious work to do. The hotel blamed Comcast, which serves my home and is very reliable. I understand that areas differ, but when I spoke with the front desk, this seems like a chronic problem. I think the hotel's internet infrastructure is insufficient to handle load.

There were two electrical plugs that I could use to charge my computer and phone. Nothing next to the bed so I could recharge my phone overnight and have my phone alarm next to me.

Then the business center was two PCs connected to a printer. No access for Macs at all. No wireless printer.

And the amenity included in the $19 was a free shuttle service that was not that great. The phone number I was given to access it went to my voice mail. Then I was told I needed to go to the front desk to request it and the wait times were so long that it was simply faster to walk to the convention center.

The hotel is lovely, and there were lots of tourists here. I might stay here again as a tourist, but when I travel on business, I need reliable internet.

And I really disliked the surprise $19 per day for amenities that were advertised as complimentary.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy street so ask for a room in the back.
Green Features: No plastic glasses! No recycle bins in the room - sad face.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Please accept my apologies for the internet problems you encountered and indeed we did recently have some significant problems with Comcast for a couple of days!! Furthermore, you are correct that sometimes the load on the system has grown since our last upgrade just 18 months ago and we commissioned a further upgrade ($15,000+!) Just in the last month.

So please do try us again if only as a tourist and many thanks for staying with us!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!

Been to Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa? Share your experiences!