“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Barceloneta, Puerto Rico
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

See comment about "resort fee at bottom". In all a lovely stay with nice staff and very nice to sit in lobby with the dogs by a real fire while having breakfast.
The concierge arranged a pet sitter, Fran, who came to the room and picked up the dogs so we could sightsee. There is a shuttle to everywhere nearby, even the Museum Hill where there are 5 excellent museums to see and a restaurant not to miss. The website photos led me to believe our room for four had beds in different rooms, so don't make that mistake, get a suite and an adjoining single.

They were booked for those so intended up paying an additional $200+/night room. Here is my one non flattering comment. There is a resort fee of $18/ night or not you use the exercise equipment or hot tub. But if they charge everyone...then it should just be part of the standard rate. It makes the rates look lower and more competitive that way, but it isn't forthright. Also, the Tax is high, so don't believe for a minute the room is only going to cost you $159/night.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
I am sorry you were confused by our website and I will certainly look in to that although any “additional” connecting room is always an “additional” room charge!

Your comment concerning the A.R.T./Resort Fee is noted and you may wish to read a detailed response I made to a similar review last month.

Many thanks for staying with us and I am happy to know that Fran was a good dog sitter!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

A mediocre place filed with a rotten staff. Avoid this place at all costs because the room service quality food was overpriced and mediocre at best and the hotel overall was not at all world-class. Spend your money else where.

Room Tip: To get the best room simply go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Your unkind remarks are not appreciated nor understood, as you will note from most other reviews that we do care and provide great service!

I am sorry that you did not have the courtesy to express your disappointment when you were staying with us so we could possibly have addressed your problem! Nonetheless, no matter now!

Safe travels!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We really liked this hotel. As Australians travelling it was easy to find and easy to park. Great room on the ground floor close to the lobby. For us we could easily walk to the Plaza which takes 10 min but the taxi shuttle provided by the hotel was incredible efficient. So close to the Rail Runner train and small boutique shops thus for us was also a plus. What we really liked after walking around all day was the great bar and restaurant area with the amazing fireplace. Very cosy with great food on offer. We ate in two nights we were there. Good price for the room and facilities. We would stay again.

Room Tip: If you like pool and spa I would ask for the pool wing. In Spring only the spa was in use so no nois...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so delighted to learn that our guests from “down under” had a great time and enjoyed their stay!

Very many thanks for staying with us and we all wish you well on your travels!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had a magical time here. I had no idea what to expect. But Pueblo culture was earthy and sophisticated at the same time. Warm woody textured decor, sympathetic service, and lovely display of coffee and assorted teas on each landing to take back to your room and sip in bed while planning your day. Easy trips in and out of town due to the purple coloured London taxi for prompt shuttling to and for. Only disappointment was that pool was not open at Easter as it was outdoor. But roaring log fire over breakfast in lobby made up for that. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and had view over town. North facing. So perhaps south might have been sunnier...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
And we do hope you will be back soon!! It’s still a little too chilly to open the pool (hence the fire in the Lobby), but it will be up and running by May 1st - and normally through the end of October.

Many thanks for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed our coffee/teas and London Taxis, etc.!!

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The hotel was generally clean and well kept. A bit dark for our taste.
Most everyone on the staff was very accommodating and friendly. They gave us a room upgrade for no extra charge and we didn't even ask for it.
Food in the Amaya restaurant in the hotel was quite good, service was too.
Was well worth the price and we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind remarks and we do hope you will return one day soon!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

On the plus side:

*The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful. Gave us some great recommendations of sites to see and places to eat.

*They "upgraded" (I was a little questionable of this upgrade the next morning - but more on that later) us to a double suite, with a couch bed. I was traveling with two other friends so it was nice for everyone to have their own bed.

*The couch bed was actually quite comfortable. I had a very nice sleep on it.

*The shuttle service was handy. We didn't use it a lot because Santa Fe is a great place for walking.

What I hated:

*We were in room 162 which was a terrible place to be, as we found out early the next morning. We were right next to a banquet room (which I hadn't noticed the night before, I was just pleased with the free "upgrade") and there was construction happening right outside the window. (We arrived after it was dark, so I hadn't noticed that either.) Bright and early the next morning we woke up to LOUD talking from the banquet room. It seriously sounded like a whole herd of people was in the room with us. Then the construction started right outside. It was horribly loud and we couldn't open any of the blinds to let light in because a bunch of construction workers were literally standing right next to the window.

Since the damage was already done, and we had to be up bright and early the next morning anyway, we didn't ask to switch rooms. I do feel that they "upgraded" us, though, because they knew it was a terrible room and no one in their right mind would want us.

*Even though it's a 4-star hotel, there was grime in the corners and the shower wasn't that great. Obviously, the walls are not sound proofed at all.

I loved Santa Fe and plan on visiting again, but I will not stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not take room 162 or any rooms near a banquet room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience you were caused by our expansion of our Patio project and the inconsiderate behavior of the crew outside. We certainly should have advised you at check-in.

I am obviously disappointed to learn you will not be back, but should you change your mind, please ask to speak with our Reservations Manager, Desiree, who will guarantee you the best room available and some extra special treatment if you mention this note.

Again, apologies but pleas give us a second chance!
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

When I made my reservation at The Hacienda I was looking for an upscale hotel. I wanted to stay at a nice hotel because I am a female traveling alone. I asked some questions and decided to book Hacienda for three nights. While I was talking to the agent the 1st night sold out so she offered to put me in hotel Santa Fe the first night and then move me. It was last minute and I was not sure if I wanted it so I told her no because I wanted to research hotel and did not want to adhere to cancellation policy. She waived cancellation policy and put notes in computer. When I arrived the front desk guy insisted I was a no show and I would have to pay for 1 St night. I disputed so he told me he would have to listen to recording bc reservations are recorded. I said ok. Then he said the agent was there so he would talk to her. A while later I inquired and was told she was at lunch at hadn't called yet. I called her directly spoke to her and she said she would talk to him to remove charge as soon as we hung up. I asked her to listen to recording too. I went downstairs and he actually lied to me and told me she hadn't got back to him. When I called him on it his response was," She did call but I was too busy to take the call.". That is a totally inappropriate response especially for a hotel claiming to be 4 star with exceptional service. After going to plaza I checked again and he said he would remove charges but not without telling me that the reservation agent wanted me to be charged but he would take charge off. She was the one helping me and even if she did why did he feel the need to tell me that? Birdie in the restaurant was exceptional, Thomas the driver was fun and informative and the butler who printed me directions to Ghost Ranch and tent rocks was great(not sure of his name or the name of rude front desk guy). Also my 1st floor room was a little stuffy. It is a shame because a lot of the staff were nice and I really wanted to like this cool locally owned hotel. I am bummed bc only vacation for a while. I also used to work for a hotel myself and I currently own a pet salon and would never treat a customer the way that guy treated me! I request management listen to recording but I am not sure if one exists or if he just had the desire to treat me like a criminal.

Room Tip: Heard from other travelers that 1st floor not as nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
You are absolutely correct and the Front Desk agent was totally out-of-line with both his responses and attitude. I am so very sorry that you were treated incorrectly and inappropriately - whether we record a reservation or not is only for our in-house accuracy confirmation and should never be used in the context you encountered.

Please give us another chance. I promise you we can do better!

Been to Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa? Share your experiences!