“ethnic chic” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“ethnic chic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had a magical time here. I had no idea what to expect. But Pueblo culture was earthy and sophisticated at the same time. Warm woody textured decor, sympathetic service, and lovely display of coffee and assorted teas on each landing to take back to your room and sip in bed while planning your day. Easy trips in and out of town due to the purple coloured London taxi for prompt shuttling to and for. Only disappointment was that pool was not open at Easter as it was outdoor. But roaring log fire over breakfast in lobby made up for that. Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and had view over town. North facing. So perhaps south might have been sunnier...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
And we do hope you will be back soon!! It’s still a little too chilly to open the pool (hence the fire in the Lobby), but it will be up and running by May 1st - and normally through the end of October.

Many thanks for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed our coffee/teas and London Taxis, etc.!!

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

The hotel was generally clean and well kept. A bit dark for our taste.
Most everyone on the staff was very accommodating and friendly. They gave us a room upgrade for no extra charge and we didn't even ask for it.
Food in the Amaya restaurant in the hotel was quite good, service was too.
Was well worth the price and we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your kind remarks and we do hope you will return one day soon!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

On the plus side:

*The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful. Gave us some great recommendations of sites to see and places to eat.

*They "upgraded" (I was a little questionable of this upgrade the next morning - but more on that later) us to a double suite, with a couch bed. I was traveling with two other friends so it was nice for everyone to have their own bed.

*The couch bed was actually quite comfortable. I had a very nice sleep on it.

*The shuttle service was handy. We didn't use it a lot because Santa Fe is a great place for walking.

What I hated:

*We were in room 162 which was a terrible place to be, as we found out early the next morning. We were right next to a banquet room (which I hadn't noticed the night before, I was just pleased with the free "upgrade") and there was construction happening right outside the window. (We arrived after it was dark, so I hadn't noticed that either.) Bright and early the next morning we woke up to LOUD talking from the banquet room. It seriously sounded like a whole herd of people was in the room with us. Then the construction started right outside. It was horribly loud and we couldn't open any of the blinds to let light in because a bunch of construction workers were literally standing right next to the window.

Since the damage was already done, and we had to be up bright and early the next morning anyway, we didn't ask to switch rooms. I do feel that they "upgraded" us, though, because they knew it was a terrible room and no one in their right mind would want us.

*Even though it's a 4-star hotel, there was grime in the corners and the shower wasn't that great. Obviously, the walls are not sound proofed at all.

I loved Santa Fe and plan on visiting again, but I will not stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not take room 162 or any rooms near a banquet room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Please accept my sincere apologies for the obvious inconvenience you were caused by our expansion of our Patio project and the inconsiderate behavior of the crew outside. We certainly should have advised you at check-in.

I am obviously disappointed to learn you will not be back, but should you change your mind, please ask to speak with our Reservations Manager, Desiree, who will guarantee you the best room available and some extra special treatment if you mention this note.

Again, apologies but pleas give us a second chance!
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

When I made my reservation at The Hacienda I was looking for an upscale hotel. I wanted to stay at a nice hotel because I am a female traveling alone. I asked some questions and decided to book Hacienda for three nights. While I was talking to the agent the 1st night sold out so she offered to put me in hotel Santa Fe the first night and then move me. It was last minute and I was not sure if I wanted it so I told her no because I wanted to research hotel and did not want to adhere to cancellation policy. She waived cancellation policy and put notes in computer. When I arrived the front desk guy insisted I was a no show and I would have to pay for 1 St night. I disputed so he told me he would have to listen to recording bc reservations are recorded. I said ok. Then he said the agent was there so he would talk to her. A while later I inquired and was told she was at lunch at hadn't called yet. I called her directly spoke to her and she said she would talk to him to remove charge as soon as we hung up. I asked her to listen to recording too. I went downstairs and he actually lied to me and told me she hadn't got back to him. When I called him on it his response was," She did call but I was too busy to take the call.". That is a totally inappropriate response especially for a hotel claiming to be 4 star with exceptional service. After going to plaza I checked again and he said he would remove charges but not without telling me that the reservation agent wanted me to be charged but he would take charge off. She was the one helping me and even if she did why did he feel the need to tell me that? Birdie in the restaurant was exceptional, Thomas the driver was fun and informative and the butler who printed me directions to Ghost Ranch and tent rocks was great(not sure of his name or the name of rude front desk guy). Also my 1st floor room was a little stuffy. It is a shame because a lot of the staff were nice and I really wanted to like this cool locally owned hotel. I am bummed bc only vacation for a while. I also used to work for a hotel myself and I currently own a pet salon and would never treat a customer the way that guy treated me! I request management listen to recording but I am not sure if one exists or if he just had the desire to treat me like a criminal.

Room Tip: Heard from other travelers that 1st floor not as nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
You are absolutely correct and the Front Desk agent was totally out-of-line with both his responses and attitude. I am so very sorry that you were treated incorrectly and inappropriately - whether we record a reservation or not is only for our in-house accuracy confirmation and should never be used in the context you encountered.

Please give us another chance. I promise you we can do better!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Just stayed two nights with my sister. The room was very nice, quite and comfortable. The bathroom was small but doable. Nice tea and coffee service in the mornings on each hall way. Location good a slight walk to the old town center but not a problem. Desk staff very helpful. Pool was closed still for the season but hot tub was open. Not sure we would have used it though even if it was open.

Room Tip: Continental Breakfast $11.00 person. We faced the main street and were able to sleep with the balcon...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Many thanks for staying with us and so glad to know you enjoyed your stay!

Boulder, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The desk staff were not very nice. We arrived an hour and a half early after a long drive from Boulder and were told check in was at 4:00. We came back at 4:00. Again no nice greeting, but the suite was lovely. We had a large gorgeous bath with lots of counter space. The living area was very nicely done with a great private deck area attached. The bed and linens were to die for in a very spacious bedroom. A nice wine and munchies was done in a wonderfully bright and airy lounge area with private outdoor space. The butler service was such a nice touch. We also had dinner at their restaurant, all well done. If you can just get past the front desk, you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite in the new addition.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry to learn that our Front Desk staff was less than courteous as they are invariably our “stars of hospitality”. Please accept my sincere apologies and your comment has been addressed with them!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
Artesia, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

We were up in Santa Fe for the weekend and took advantage of a Spring special on their suites. Ours had two double beds and a sleeper sofa. The room was decorated nicely in the usual southwest decor one sees in most of the places here. Good size room with a frig. The only downside was a view of some junk out the window....would be easy to tidy this area up. There is a 18$ resort fee here which covers parking and the use of the shuttle. Never had a problem getting the shuttle to take us where we needed to go in a reasonable amount of time (it goes to the plaza and gallery areas generally). One can walk to the plaza area from the hotel...not a bad walk...perhaps around a half mile. Staff very very helpful and courteous. Having stayed at quite a few hotels in Santa Fe I would say it is in the mid range price and room wise...not luxury but very comfortable. Breakfast was OK....better eating options can be found in the area though for breakfast but is was convenient. Free coffee is available in the bar area near the restaurant as there is no coffee makers in the rooms (ours anyway). Decent value for the money...recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Many thanks for your recommendation and also thank you for staying with us!

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon

Been to Hotel Santa Fe, The Hacienda and Spa? Share your experiences!