“Great experience - beautiful grounds - historical buildings” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1862 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Ranked #14 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Edmonton, Alberta
“Great experience - beautiful grounds - historical buildings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

After a horrible experience of checking in at our original Santa Fe B & B booking at the Casa Pacifica (BEWARE- DO NOT STAY AT THE CASA PACIFICA - HORRIBLE - DID NOT GIVE REFUND-see my review about the CASA PACIFICA!), my friend and I were ready to continue our holiday. We landed at the EL REY and were more than pleased with the kindness and hospitality of Doris at the front desk. We quickly got our room which was complete with a semi-private patio terrace. Although the room was a little outdated, the grounds were lush with roses and other beautiful flowers. We had a very comfortable 2 night stay before continuing on to Taos, NM. The room was clean and offered a TV, mini-fridge. The lighting was a little dim for my liking...don't think about reading unless you step onto the terrace. However, it was just what the Doctor ordered!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I enjoyed our stay at the El Rey Inn. My best friend loves this hotel and recommended it because of it's unique touches. While I agree the hot tub is wonderful and the grounds are fun to explore it's a little pricey for the the quality of the room. The room is very dark and a little dated but clean and a good size. I don't regret my stay but I think for $135 I will try another place if I ever return to Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

This was my first time with the kids in Santa Fe and this was the perfect hotel. It was charming and fun and very comfortable. The murphy bed was a hit with them and the beds were so comfortable. We took advantage of the pool and hot tub the first day we drove in, tired and sweaty. The gardens are so welcoming. The rooms were beautifully decorated, they felt like a nice B&B, not a motel or hotel.
The only complaint is the breakfast. It was a little odd, in a way that felt cheap. You are apportioned one tortilla and small bowl of fruit (except the day they were out of fruit!) to go with a wide assortment of breads, cereals and other starches, and boiled eggs for protein. I didn't mind the buffet style, but it felt incongruous with the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

Overall, we had a great stay at El Rey Inn. Our room was clean and cozy, and we enjoyed the hot tub and free breakfast. The exercise facility is a tiny, cramped room with only a few machines. We were disappointed with our interactions with the staff at the front desk as well. When we arrived, we mentioned that we had seen an online promotion for a 10% discount, and the receptionist assured us that we would be given the discount. Upon checkout, however, we were denied the discount, and the receptionists were rude. Despite the very unpleasant staff, we found the large grounds comforting and delightful.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bisbee, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

While on a road trip with my Dad, the El Rey was recommended to us by his sister. It did not disappoint! The front desk staff were friendly and helpful even though we drove in rather late in the evening and didn't have a reservation. We asked if an additional discount was possible, and though it wasn't, they gladly gave us a room upgrade to one closer to the pool. The grounds of the hotel are lovely and the room as well. The whitewashed adobe-style buildings have the usual Southwest flair as much of the Santa Fe area does, but the personal touches are evident everywhere here. The room was very clean and comfortable with all the amenities necessary, plus even a few extra surprises. Plenty of close-to-room parking too. I look forward to returning and bringing my husband for a special occasion some time!

• Stayed May 2009
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

“An oasis of authentic New Mexico style and charm in the midst of an ever increasing commercialization and falsification of the very reason people come to Santa Fe in the first place. Don’t lose your soul!” Those were my words to the Manager in a letter I wrote to the El Rey Inn after my stay. I was impressed.

Well worth the money. Paid a bit more than the chains, but I got more! And it was much less than the pricier, exclusive places. Friendly, hospitable staff, without being overbearing or too chatty. Rooms are clean, comfortable, and nicely accomodated. The pool is a haven of peace and tranquility, if you like the water. After a day of hiking in the mountains, it was a slice of heaven. Just a overall great experience. Would stay there again when in Santa Fe and would definitely recommend. Met some people on my trip that have stayed there and they said essentially the same thing. Go, stay, and enjoy.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

What a pleasant surprise! Initially, I thought that staying at this hotel for three nights, that is literally 'right on the old Rt 66' and about 3 miles from downtown Santa Fe, might be a bit noisy due to it's proximity to the main road, and a bit of a risk because it wasn't the sameness of a Hampton, Holiday or a Fairfield Marriott Inn that we were more accustomed to. Both of the well appointed rooms that we stayed in (my wife and I in one; my sister and mother in the other) were very comfortable and cozy. The queen beds were vee-e-ery comfortable. Bathrooms and separate washing areas were both neat and clean and unique in design. The continental breakfasts each morning were attended to by very friendly staff who helped you with your every whim (as long as it involved fruit or heated flour tortillas, or juices, etc.). They were all sweethearts. Beautifully simple grounds to walk around on after dinner nights. The beautiful looking pool was being cleaned during our stay and thus wasn't opened yet, but that didn't stop my wife and I from sitting poolside early evenings and reading our books in peace and quiet, the only sounds being the gentle gurgling from the pool cleaner and the callings of the many different birds in the abundant and varied trees that populate the property (this hotel is also actually an approved bird sanctuary, by the Audubon Society)
I had an occasion to chat a bit with another traveler at breakfast who was from Phoenix (we're from Boston), and he was telling me the same story, how his initial concerns were soothed by well cared for property, the interesting and historic older architecture, the comfortable rooms and the pleasant staff. He was a seasoned/frequent business traveler who was very impressed with this little (family-run?) business, who know how to do it right.
We are going out to a wedding just north of Albuquerque in a year or so, and we're planning on driving the 40 miles north to the El Rey Inn for our stay, instead of trying a chain hotel in Albuquerque. We know it'll be worth the trip!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to El Rey Inn? Share your experiences!