“Beautiful Gem on Route 66” 4 of 5 stars

Cozy rooms with fireplace
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful Gem on Route 66”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We booked the El Rey on our Route 66 trip. The grounds are beautifully maintained and have gorgeous floral baskets all around. The room was clean and the free breakfast was great. It is a bit out of city center but worth the drive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Lindale, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. If you want to stay at an authentic Route 66 retro inn, El Rey is the place. The well maintained grounds and spanish style architecture create a relaxing atmosphere. We spent time each day setting on the front porch, around the pool, or by one of the relaxing fountains. Our room was located on the back side of the property, therefore it was very quiet, even though the inn is located on a busy street. A couple of good restaurants are in walking distance of the inn. I hope to visit the El Rey Inn again soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Juan Bautista, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We absolutely loved our recent four night stay at this charming inn. From our well appointed, spacious suite (#20) to the beautiful, well-kept grounds, everything was wonderful. This place captures the heart and soul of Santa Fe - hospitality, warmth, color, cool architecture, etc. Josh, especially, was most accommodating to myself and my family, including my two lively boys. The pool was undergoing a transformation at that time but looked great upon completion. Breakfast was hearty, especially the chili sauce. It is a beautiful oasis - we cannot wait to return !

Stayed June 2014
Cave Creek AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is our second stay at the El Rey Inn......from the road, it does not look like much, but once "inside" the grounds, it is beautiful and so peaceful....we reserved an upgraded room with a fireplace, and a satillo tile floor....the couple we traveled with reserved a standard room, carpet and did not have the "old world" ambience ours did...we had a private patio also.

There is a complimentary breakfast also, very nice.

The staff at the desk are the best, so attentive and informative!

Great stay!

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room, no cars parking in front of your door.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The El Rey is like stepping back in time. The rooms are so unique, the gardens are gorgeous, and the staff is very helpful. I was traveling with my 84 year old mother. The El Rey was perfect for her. Our room was on the ground floor and we could park right outside the room. I would recommend the El Rey to anyone wanting a relaxing, step-back-in-time stay!

Green Features: I loved the fact that there were recycle bins everywhere for cans, glass, and newspapers! Water conservation measures were also in place.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed twice at El Rey in the past week on a trip to Colorado. I've stayed at this charming inn about 6 or 7 seven times since 2008. We've stayed at several well known resorts (the Waldorf Astoria "Boulders" in Carefree, La Berge de Sedona - I don't think I spelled that correctly - Dove Mountain in Marana, La Fonda and La Posada in Santa Fe, etc.) and while the El Rey is not a 5-Star property I've always loved it.

Frankly, the El Rey doesn't look that impressive from the street. Once you enter the property, though, it's warm and welcoming, clean and utterly charming! My favorite rooms are in the back, two-story section (remodeled a few years ago) of the inn surrounding a courtyard with trees and flowers. I've stayed in rooms 69, 67 (a suite), 65 and I believe 54 and I can't remember the room numbers for the others. Room 69 is a large room on a corner, we just stayed in 67 and 54 on different legs of our trip this past week.

Suite #67 (pictured) is lovely - after a long road trip it was perfect. It has a living room with a small kitchenette, fireplace and a Murphy Bed (which I wanted to pull down to see but we were tired) with a nice sized bedroom and bathroom (I think we paid between $180-190 for the suite). This is an older property so the bathrooms are on the small side compared to expensive resorts but nicely done and very clean. Room 54 was a smaller room (and the floors squeaked) but it's a great value - we paid about $112 - great price for Santa Fe - and it has a balcony overlooking the pool. We stayed in room 65 about 3 years ago and it was adorable and even has a radiant fireplace.

The grounds are gorgeous and every time I stay there I find another cool area to explore! This time we found the outdoor hot tub (they also have an indoor one) which I bet is lovely in the winter since it has a fireplace close by! Now I will tell you one time we were given a room and the ceiling was very low so we transferred to room 65 - I don't recall the other room number.

The staff is so nice and service is great. They offer a small breakfast in the morning with wonderful coffee, fruit and other small items. You can stay indoors or sip your coffee on the patio. Even my husband (who always wants to stay at high-priced places) loves El Rey. Also, I have round the higher priced hotels around the Plaza are not that great and so over priced - I much prefer this hotel and it has a wonderful Santa Fe feel. Let me know if you have questions.

Room Tip: My favorite rooms are in the two story section in the back on the second floor (see review for room...
Green Features: I saw notes about their environmental practices but I honestly didn't read them.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lawton, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

What a relaxing and beautiful motel. The rooms are spacious, the free breakfast was good. The pool, hot tub, beautiful flowers and plants. If you're looking for a calm, peaceful hotel that not a chain- then I would definitely recommend El Rey.

• Stayed June 2014

Been to El Rey Inn? Share your experiences!