“A wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Cave Creek AZ
“A wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

This is our second stay at the El Rey Inn......from the road, it does not look like much, but once "inside" the grounds, it is beautiful and so peaceful....we reserved an upgraded room with a fireplace, and a satillo tile floor....the couple we traveled with reserved a standard room, carpet and did not have the "old world" ambience ours did...we had a private patio also.

There is a complimentary breakfast also, very nice.

The staff at the desk are the best, so attentive and informative!

Great stay!

Room Tip: Get an upgraded room, no cars parking in front of your door.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

The El Rey is like stepping back in time. The rooms are so unique, the gardens are gorgeous, and the staff is very helpful. I was traveling with my 84 year old mother. The El Rey was perfect for her. Our room was on the ground floor and we could park right outside the room. I would recommend the El Rey to anyone wanting a relaxing, step-back-in-time stay!

Green Features: I loved the fact that there were recycle bins everywhere for cans, glass, and newspapers! Water conservation measures were also in place.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband and I stayed twice at El Rey in the past week on a trip to Colorado. I've stayed at this charming inn about 6 or 7 seven times since 2008. We've stayed at several well known resorts (the Waldorf Astoria "Boulders" in Carefree, La Berge de Sedona - I don't think I spelled that correctly - Dove Mountain in Marana, La Fonda and La Posada in Santa Fe, etc.) and while the El Rey is not a 5-Star property I've always loved it.

Frankly, the El Rey doesn't look that impressive from the street. Once you enter the property, though, it's warm and welcoming, clean and utterly charming! My favorite rooms are in the back, two-story section (remodeled a few years ago) of the inn surrounding a courtyard with trees and flowers. I've stayed in rooms 69, 67 (a suite), 65 and I believe 54 and I can't remember the room numbers for the others. Room 69 is a large room on a corner, we just stayed in 67 and 54 on different legs of our trip this past week.

Suite #67 (pictured) is lovely - after a long road trip it was perfect. It has a living room with a small kitchenette, fireplace and a Murphy Bed (which I wanted to pull down to see but we were tired) with a nice sized bedroom and bathroom (I think we paid between $180-190 for the suite). This is an older property so the bathrooms are on the small side compared to expensive resorts but nicely done and very clean. Room 54 was a smaller room (and the floors squeaked) but it's a great value - we paid about $112 - great price for Santa Fe - and it has a balcony overlooking the pool. We stayed in room 65 about 3 years ago and it was adorable and even has a radiant fireplace.

The grounds are gorgeous and every time I stay there I find another cool area to explore! This time we found the outdoor hot tub (they also have an indoor one) which I bet is lovely in the winter since it has a fireplace close by! Now I will tell you one time we were given a room and the ceiling was very low so we transferred to room 65 - I don't recall the other room number.

The staff is so nice and service is great. They offer a small breakfast in the morning with wonderful coffee, fruit and other small items. You can stay indoors or sip your coffee on the patio. Even my husband (who always wants to stay at high-priced places) loves El Rey. Also, I have round the higher priced hotels around the Plaza are not that great and so over priced - I much prefer this hotel and it has a wonderful Santa Fe feel. Let me know if you have questions.

Room Tip: My favorite rooms are in the two story section in the back on the second floor (see review for room...
Green Features: I saw notes about their environmental practices but I honestly didn't read them.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lawton, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

What a relaxing and beautiful motel. The rooms are spacious, the free breakfast was good. The pool, hot tub, beautiful flowers and plants. If you're looking for a calm, peaceful hotel that not a chain- then I would definitely recommend El Rey.

• Stayed June 2014
Bolivar, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Disclaimer: First you have to know, I read reviews when I am planning a trip and when I write a review I try to give you whole picture!!! So I may sound picky but I like to give details... We just stayed here for our ladies trip to Santa Fe.Loved the "quaintness", and feel of the Inn.Beautiful landscaping. It was very quiet, peaceful. Very friendly staff . Rooms were very clean. Breakfast was alright, mainly cereal,yogurt, hard boiled eggs, breads and toppings. They did bring warm tortilla and banana to table.(would have liked to see some choices of fresh fruit, and maybe waffles, just my preference). We took advantage of the adult hot tub and that was lovely after walking all day!Did not go to pool after warning of the "color".Plaza easy to get to from here and only minutes away.The surrounding area was fine, some reviews said "sketchy", I did not feel unsafe at any time! Here are the only negative things about our stay, (and right now I am being critical, they would not change my opinion of staying here again), the mattresses were not pillow topped,very basic and were a little hard and our bedroom was a bit difficult to get cool/stale air, a fan would of been great. We never asked, they may have given us one, that's how little I was worried about it, again being picky here.This is not a brand new sleek hotel, it is more "historic", so if that is the feel you are going for, this is your place. Luxury, it is not! (that should really be a plus and not a negative, too lazy to move it at this point). Also coffee was bad,I enjoy a strong bold coffee, and little 4 cup pouches were not cutting it; however Starbucks was easy to get too. Overall Great place and if you want something different than just another hotel room and want the WHOLE EXPERIENCE OF ROUTE 66, would highly recommend!

Room Tip: We traveled with four ladies and our suite had 2 rooms, one bathroom and a kitchen and living room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I always stay at this place when I go to Santa Fe. It's not easy walking distance from the plaza or Canyon Road, but is just the most peaceful oasis one can find. The older rooms are nothing fancy, but are comfortable and atmospheric with traditional beamed ceilings. It is a delight to sit outside one's room on a cool evening and enjoy the beautiful, garden-like grounds and listen to the birds in the trees. The continental breakfast is ample, and features hard-boiled eggs, hot and cold cereal, and tortillas with cheese and green chile sauce. When I was there one guy claimed he did not know what a tortilla was and wanted lox and bagel! Some tourists....

Room Tip: the "newer" (not very new) in the back, by the pool are quite spacious.
Green Features: Nice native plant area, lots of trees, lots of flowers
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Columbus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My daughters were looking forward to the outdoor pool that had a deep end. Upon checking in the receptionist mentioned that the pool had a "green tint" to it but not to worry and that it was "chemically fine". But as soon as I saw the pool I could tell it was far from "fine". I'm not a chemist and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a lime green water in a pool does not seem ok to me. We could not see the bottom of the pool at the shallow 3ft end. I did not let nun daughters swim in it. Everything else about the hotel was fine. So if you have children and they are hoping to swim, inquire about the color of the pool water before paying. I've attached a picture of the pool which is unedited.

Stayed June 2014
Terrell W, Owner at El Rey Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Unfortunately our inn had to drain our lovely pool and re-fill it as soon as possible. It is a shame because of our water shortage in New Mexico; that we must drain 55,000 gallons of water and replenish our pool with new water. Due to our extreme winds this past month in Santa Fe, our water quality built up an inordinate level of phosphates from debris etc. accumulating into our pool. We simply could not counteract that situation with chemicals alone. We were left with no other alternative because of nature but to replace the water in our pool. This was so very unfortunate for the inn and our guests. We thank you for your understanding. This situation was simply beyond our control. Very sincerely, The entire staff of the El Rey Inn

Been to El Rey Inn? Share your experiences!