“Too Bad, No Dogs...But wonderful Grounds” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Salida, Co. USA
“Too Bad, No Dogs...But wonderful Grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Like I said, it's too bad they don't allow dogs, no, not even little ones...but I suspect that's one of the reasons the gardens are so nice to sit around in. This place is right next store to one of the best places to enjoy breakfast in SantaFe, The Pantry, so you got that going for you here...also, it's a hip older motel that has been kept handsome, and they didn't get greedy and sell off much of their property years back.
Enjoy, Salida1048

Room Tip: Most all of the rooms are good, if you're a pool person, with kids, then ask to be closer to tha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This was a nice place to stay. We actually broke down with car trouble. We called ahead and they held a room for us. The breakfast was great, both the food and the service. They had a very nice selection for a free breakfast. There was food both the adults and the children enjoyed. The pool was also very nice. The staff was accommodating, helping a bad situation to not be quite so bad. They even offered us a discount. The room was clean, and we had everything we needed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Plaisir
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

An oasis of calm, we enjoyed the gardens, the pool . The breakfast buffet was quite sufficient and the staff very attentive . Our room was nice but dark . It lacked lights, even with all the lamps on it was difficult to read properly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Marfa, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed at El Rey several times over the years.
As others write the grounds are beautiful; old growth gardens and truly real vintage Santa Fe style, with parking at the door. My recent stay was, however, not a good experience. My room was small, Dark and with a carpet that though probably not dirty was was worn to grey. The cooler control was located high in a corner above a chair and covered by a fallen taped-up instruction note. For those glitches i would not be writing a review.
But: the morning of my departure i packed my car, leaving my travel kit with all my shaving gear etcetera out on the bathroom counter. I went out to do errands around town expecting to return and freshen up before hitting the road. As i returned the housekeeper at the next door shot me a “look”. My room had been cleaned and my belongings gone; stuffed in the kit taken to the office. At the desk i asked “What time is checkout?” answer “12:00” “What time is it?” “11:15” They “Assumed” i had left. That is not in my view acceptable. I do not appreciate my room being entered and my belongings removed while i am still a paying guest.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Terrell W, Owner at El Rey Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
On behalf of our housekeeping staff we apologize for any assumption that the staff made in thinking that the accommodation was vacant since there was no luggage in the room and only a shaving bag left in the bathroom. The shaving kit was taken to reception and retrieved by the guest later in the morning. Our apologies!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Been staying there for 30 years......not much has changed! Just love the place. Not a first class place but truly a well maintained classic . Go for the newer rooms and you be pleased. Can't walk to old town and the street front is very busy

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The El Rey Inn reminds me of the nicest roadside motel you might have found on Route 66 in the 1950s. The atmosphere was wonderful with nice sitting spaces and gardens surrounding the parking area. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. My family enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The hotel is located a couple of miles from the heart of Santa Fe so you are close to the action but don't pay downtown prices. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping areas around the hotel which was also convenient. The pool area was clean and we had fun swimming but the hot tub was painfully hot. There were a couple of drawbacks. They offer free wi-fi but the further you are away from the front desk, the weaker the signal. We couldn't get a good signal the entire time we spent there. Also, the restroom had zero counter space for your toiletries but that is a minor complaint. Overall, we would not hesitate to make this the hotel we stay at when visiting Santa Fe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NWUSA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

El Rey is famous among those who travel through Santa Fe, with a ramshackle, Route 66 charm, but I'm sad to say I didn't catch whatever-it-is that brings it so many great reviews.

The hotel is comprised of several buildings, some two stories and some one, arranged in a horseshoe; the center of the horseshoe has an office area, playground, and another set of rooms. There are also one or two little courtyards, a fountain, and a pool. The entire complex covers five acres.

Our room (52?) was upstairs, and would have overlooked a courtyard except that a wall was in the way. The balcony overlooked the pool (which seemed nice; the weather was too cool to swim). The bed was a little soft for my wife, but not a problem for me. The continental breakfast was limited, and unremarkable except for the fresh tortillas. We liked the dining area.

Was there anything wrong with the El Rey? No, not really. I was just expecting more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Rey Inn? Share your experiences!