“Not what we expected or read about” 3 of 5 stars

El Rey Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1862 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Ranked #11 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
“Not what we expected or read about”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2008

We only stayed one night, however, we would not have made it longer if we had the chance. I love quaint, independent hotels. The people generally treat you better and make you feel at home. That was not the problem here at all. First, I had paid for this room more than a month before our arrival and we did not get the room we were supposed to. Instead we had a very simple room with two beds, bathroom and fridge. I expected the larger room with the sofa/sitting area as was described when I booked it and a microwave. Not a huge deal, just a little disappointing. The beds were decent and the noise level was very low, which was good of course. Biggest problem was in the morning when we were greeted with very large bugs in the bathroom and vanity areas. We do not have these bugs where we live so I don't know if they were cockroaches or some strange very large beetle. They reminded me of a smaller version of the cockroaches I've seen in South Carolina, which are huge. These two that we flushed were about 1.5 inches. So, like my review started out, there's no way we would have stayed another night. We enjoyed the city of Santa Fe and the front desk people told us about a very good mexican food restaurant called Maria's. It was an awesome suggestion for dinner.
I am very disppointed that the El Rey Inn had the problems we experienced and I'm hoping that future customers do not deal with anything of this sort.

• Liked — Retreat away from busy Cerrillos Road
  • Disliked — Bugs
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
scottsdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Santa Fe. It is a great city to visit. I have never written a review before but our experience at the El Rey deserves comment. It was excellent. The price point is perfect. More for less. The room had a sitting area, fireplace and refrigerator . The look is total Santa Fe. Most importantly the service was terrific. From check in to the complimenary breakfast. At breakfast,as i was trying to carry food and drinks for two back to the room, a young server saw my plight and provided a tray. Then he asked if I would like a blueberry muffins. They had not been put out yet but he went out of his way to go to the kitchen and bring out muffins,butter etc. covered so I could carry them easily. El Rey has a homey atmosphere that lets you get away from the standard hotel experience. We will be back.

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sugar Land
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Our family of six loved our stay at El Rey! We stayed in a two bedroom, one bath suite with a kitchenette and living room area with two small sleeper sofas. Our unit had a nice Southwestern decor, and our kids loved the New Mexican style of the entire grounds. It was our son's birthday on our first night, and we had plenty of space for his "mini-party." The free continental breakfast was excellent, with warm muffins, instant oatmeal, canned peaches, strawberry and plain yogurt, and boiled eggs in addition to the usual bagel/cereal options. Our kids enjoyed the playground, and the outdoor pool was large, although it was closed. It was a five minute drive to the Plaza, and the staff was helpful in giving directions and suggestions. We liked it so much that we changed our travel plans to stay at El Rey again on our drive back to Texas. We will come back next year.

• Liked — great price with plenty of space
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2008

I have stayed at The El Rey Inn a total of 6 times or more for 10 years now, most recently last week for 5 nights! It was a "girlfriend" trip and it was fantastic. The room was lovely and we made a fire every night. El Rey is a very charming, quaint, southwestern inn, great mattress/pillow, never slept better! The staff is awesome and my favorite person, Alice, unfortunately was away when I stayed, but she knows me when I visit! This is the ONLY place to lodge when in Santa Fe.

• Liked — quaintness and charm of hotel
  • Disliked — breakfast for extended stays could be more creative
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Palm Desert, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

The El Rey Inn in Santa Fe, NM is a delightful experience. After reading others' reviews, I felt confident booking a two-night stay.
The Inn is over 50 yrs old with a charming southwest flavor.
Room was very clean, great mattresses, a real bathtub, warm reception, a lovely breakfast room with adequate continental breakfast. Located on the outskirts of town, a car is definitely needed to get around. There were several dining options within walking distance. The guest laundry room has a microwave available for guests and each room has a refrigerator.
I made use of a small exercise room with only so-so equipment but it was enough. It was a very pleasant Santa Fe experience.

• Liked — Southwest flavor and clean, clean room.
  • Disliked — No WiFi and poor lighting in room for reading
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2008

Though this hotel is charming enough from the outside, we were disappointed with the interior amenities and services. The hotel is WAY past its prime; the furniture is run down and decrepit, the sheets stained and the bathroom not thoroughly clean.
The mattress was the incredibly rickety, and the headboard was falling apart. The sheets were yellowed in some areas, the blanket had holes. We were provided with two pillows. Both were flat, lumpy and incredibly unpleasant. I wouldn't be surprised if they were 50 years old. My fiance and I both woke up with sore necks.
The bathroom shower had clearly not been cleaned thoroughly; other peoples' *ahem* hairs were in it.
The continental breakfast was as under- whelming as most are. In addition to the typically sub-par continental breakfast offerings, the staff person attending the otherwise empty breakfast room offered us what looked like five-day old Safeway muffins. When we refused them, he put them back in their package. We couldn't help but wonder how many times those muffins had been warmed-up, then tossed back in their box.
A disappointing stay at a run-down hotel that we would not recommend.

Stayed February 2008
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

Wonderful motel full of Santa Fe charm , all the reviews I have read are accurate as this is an experience to stay there, its a bit far to walk into centre but we found with the car no problems parking, the whole area is just fantastic and we hope to return again soon to the El Rey.

• Liked — rooms full of santa fe charm
  • Disliked — opening the door to see the car covered in snow !!
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to El Rey Inn? Share your experiences!